2250 Carnage Pictures
01-05-2017, (Subject: 2250 Carnage Pictures ) 
RE: 2250 Carnage Pictures
Mechanics get down right mad with me because I do not let them swap parts without proper diagnosis. It often ends up costing more but there have been times where it saves me 10 fold so for every mechanic I offend and have to listen to gloating I know that at one point when I went with the mechanics word because he's been doing it a long time..... it cost me $15,000 and another time it cost me $8500 So I'll pay the extra $150 and swallow the "I told you so" any day.

But also it helps feed my need to know everything. I must know what went wrong and why! most importantly why...

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Rawze , LargeCar , Toolguy
(01-05-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Mechanics get down right mad with me because I do not let them swap parts without proper diagnosis. It often ends up costing more but there have been times where it saves me 10 fold so for every mechanic I offend and have to listen to gloating I know that at one point when I went with the mechanics word because he's been doing it a long time..... it cost me $15,000 and another time it cost me $8500 So I'll pay the extra $150 and swallow the "I told you so" any day.

But also it helps feed my need to know everything. I must know what went wrong and why! most importantly why...

You can't prevent the same thing from happening again if you don't know the why.
You can't learn, reference, or teach anybody else with a book of because mechanic X,Y, or Z said so notes.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , LargeCar
(01-05-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  ...
You can't learn, reference, or teach anybody else with a book of because someone else said so ..

I completely agree with that statement, even if it has been backed with conjecture and speculation, i am still mostly doubtful. I want fact and solid research data that shows a clear record of scientific data, testing, and results. -- AND WHATEVER YOU DO!--- Claims of high gains needs to be backed by EXACTLY WHERE DID THAT ENERGY COME FROM!?>-- Last I checked, energy cannot be gained from nothing. If that were true, we would all be running around in perpetual motion machines.

===

Though there is such a thing as "too clean" -- Anyone that can stand there and tell me that an engine making black oil is running as well, or better than an engine that keeps the oil clean with high fuel mileage has to be a complete fool. -- Same brand of oil.

I have had people do this to me and I only shake my head and walk away. In an engine, the oil, what it contains when tested, and how long it stays clean does not lie. Neither does long term fuel mileage records (measured by the miles and gallons) when comparing one adjustment/mod/product against another. I have even had people come here to test things where we will make a graph of the exact torque + milligrams/stroke of fuel + heat soak + block/oil temp + internal engine load. I can record it at idle, and on test runs. Add the product or make the change, then test again, only to find out there was ZERO, or NEGATIVE gains. -- That is not speculation, but actual measurable results. This is what I use as my base of comparison for a lot of things I ramble about. If there were truly a measurable gain in something, you would see it right away and the data would be clear and concise.

Butterfly-looking things in the intake piping, metal pipes with magnets in them in your fuel system, injection systems, and all the other hocus pocus fake crap I have seen sold for these trucks out here is absolutely ridiculousness, and most of the time causes more harm than good.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower , Texasdude74 , LargeCar , Toolguy
there is a guy in drumheller alberta doing bad deletes i had one until i got it straightened out by some top members here .. this guys is a tool he is still doing them he is something special .. when i first got mine told him all the trouble with how it was running .... he said to get rid of the turbo it is bad i told him to go get licked.i even tried telling the guys at the shop that he is using to do them it was a junk program and they dont care more money for them when the poor guy has to do a engine... i was going to put a add in the paper telling people to stay away from the retard ....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
01-06-2017, (Subject: 2250 Carnage Pictures ) 
Wow there is a lot of stones being thrown here. When I find out the difference between the upgraded pump and the ceramic plugged one I will put the part numbers here but for know I haven't been able to get compuserve to work it gave me a pw but it don't work. I still need to find the right manual to see what's involved in removing the pump and if it needs timed etc. I've only owned this truck a month. So I'm not smart and resoureful yet.
replyreply
01-07-2017, (Subject: 2250 Carnage Pictures ) 
TSB 140083 is the SB that explains the issue here so far i havent been able to read it. Any one here have that info?
replyreply
I remember seeing pictures of the difference between the three piston pump (which I think is the bad one) and the new two piston pump (which I think is the ok one). But I can't seem to find those pictures/that post. I have a 2013 2250 and I am very concerned about this issue. I don't like the fact that there may be a grenade bolted to the side of my engine with the pin half way out. Anyone have those pictures or if I post a picture of it, could you tell me if I'm in the clear or not?

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
(01-07-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  I remember seeing pictures of the difference between the three piston pump (which I think is the bad one) and the new two piston pump (which I think is the ok one). But I can't seem to find those pictures/that post. I have a 2013 2250 and I am very concerned about this issue. I don't like the fact that there may be a grenade bolted to the side of my engine with the pin half way out. Anyone have those pictures or if I post a picture of it, could you tell me if I'm in the clear or not?

Caveat: I don't know my @$$ from a hole in the ground on this subject, but I was under the impression that;

-All three cylinder XPI injection pumps contained ceramic plungers
-Some two cylinder pumps, but not all, also contained ceramic plungers
-That the 2350 did not have any pumps produced with ceramic plungers
this ^^^ is WRONG!!! early 2350's DID have two cylinder pumps with ceramic plungers!!!
-The only sure way to know was to actually remove the pump head and personally inspect it.

I don't own a 2250, but if I did, I would remove, disassemble, and inspect. I wouldn't take anybody's word for it, present company gurus exempt of course.
The potential risk of failure, and the resulting damages from said failures, is just too high compared to the cost of some time and gaskets.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Billdozer2 , snailexpress , PuroCumminsPower , Starlight , DSTdriver
(01-07-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  -Some two cylinder pumps, but not all, also contained ceramic plungers

I was unaware of that. I thought just the three piston pumps were the bad ones and Cummins pulled their head out of "insert dark place here" and fixed their mistake with the two piston pump.

(01-07-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  -The only sure way to know was to actually remove, disassemble, and inspect.

So that raises another question, anyone have pictures showing the difference between the plungers? And is it as "simple" as popping off the fuel pump head and looking inside?

I just did a quick search on QuickServe. It doesn't seem to difficult.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.