2250 Carnage Pictures
04-07-2017, (Subject: 2250 Carnage Pictures ) 
RE: 2250 Carnage Pictures
Helping a friend out with his CM2250. He decided as crazy as I sound, I'm actually beginning to make sense and he became concerned about his fuel pump. He was assured that this was an updated pump. Date of mfg on the valve cover is 12/12. A two cylinder pump...yup, you guessed it, with ceramic plungers! Or should I say, it now used to have ceramic plungers. Do not take anybody's word for it if you own one of these engines. Have it inspected, and inform whom ever you choose to do it to allow you to personally inspect them. He was told it had already been verified to have steel!

The white cylindrical pieces are the ceramic plungers.
You can note that I purposely included the box that had the "HD XPI B&P SERVICE KIT" with part number 4327258 in the photo for reference.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , simon999 , Squish099 , snailexpress , gatow900 , fargonaz , alexkyle , hhow55 , DSTdriver , Toolguy
does anybody have video tutorial on this pump rebuild/ update?
replyreply
(04-07-2017 )doarmihai Wrote:  does anybody have video tutorial on this pump rebuild/ update?

I was going to video this today, but the only card I had at the shop had a file I couldn't delete so couldn't this time. If anyone else is in my area and wants to check their pump out, get in touch with me and We'll make one.
It's not difficult to do, but there are some key points to be aware of. Follow the procedure properly in quickserve and it's an afternoon job.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , snailexpress , gatow900 , Dd614 , Toolguy
04-08-2017, (Subject: 2250 Carnage Pictures ) 
Got a recall campaign letter on the fuel pump dated feb20/17 from Cummins

ATC1795 states that there is an action to check out the 2013/14 built engines that might need the updated roller tappets in HPI fuel pump....this is about to expire in June-17. Although is states that dealer pays for the parts while customer for the. 2 1/2 h needed....lol so they already come prepared to overcharge the customer on the labor and cover the parts if needed replaced

It doesn't say anything about the plungers just tappets...

Btwy mine was built on June 13 and have the steel plungers....so got lucky I guess
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
04-09-2017, (Subject: 2250 Carnage Pictures ) 
on quickserve this is the right procedure for High-Pressure System Leak Down Test
i don't know where rawze got his info
Connect INSITE™ electronic service tool.
Operate the engine.
Perform INSITE™ electronic service tool Fuel System Leakage Test.
Monitor the fuel rail pressure. Fuel rail pressure will rise and stabilize. This could take up to 5 minutes.
Shut the engine OFF and wait for it to completely stop.
Turn the keyswitch ON quickly.
Record the fuel rail pressure measured value. This is the first measurement.
Monitor for exactly 30 seconds.
Record the fuel rail pressure measured value again. This is the second measurement.
Subtract the second measured value from the first measured value.
A decay in fuel pressure greater than 1500 bar [21756 psi] in 30 seconds is an indication of a high-pressure fuel system leak.
See the appropriate troubleshooting symptom tree for repair direction.
replyreply
(04-09-2017 )doarmihai Wrote:  on quickserve this is the right procedure for High-Pressure System Leak Down Test
Connect INSITE™ electronic service tool.
Operate the engine.
Perform INSITE™ electronic service tool Fuel System Leakage Test.
Monitor the fuel rail pressure. Fuel rail pressure will rise and stabilize. This could take up to 5 minutes.
Shut the engine OFF and wait for it to completely stop.
Turn the keyswitch ON quickly.
Record the fuel rail pressure measured value. This is the first measurement.
Monitor for exactly 30 seconds.
Record the fuel rail pressure measured value again. This is the second measurement.
Subtract the second measured value from the first measured value.
A decay in fuel pressure greater than 1500 bar [21756 psi] in 30 seconds is an indication of a high-pressure fuel system leak.
See the appropriate troubleshooting symptom tree for repair direction.

You are referring to procedure https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...html#STEP3

Other than the PSI in my video that I made more than 2 years ago, I said 4,350 psi in one minute and cummins now proclaims a completely ridiculous 21,756 psi in only 30 seconds (I think they may have updated it in quickserv since the video has been made), I would say that my video is more accurate than the BS cummins proclaims in this procedure. That or it is a typo. An injector or relief valve would have to be blown out for that much leakage, and the pump would possibly even have trouble keeping up at idle if it were that bad.

(04-09-2017 )doarmihai Wrote:  ...

Rawze based this more than 2 years ago from the information that was provided at that time. It USED TO SAY 150 bar (2,175 in 30 sec/4300 psi on one minute), not 1500 bar.

If anyone wants to go around and say their rail is not leaky if it is bleeding 4,000+ psi in one minute, then they have some serious misconceptions towards what is the norm. In fact, MOST TRUCKS will not leak even 200 - 300 PSI in a minute when the system is in good shape. 21,000 PSI in half that time would dictate that the whole system would leak to ZERO PSI in about 45 seconds or less.

If your engine is leaking down more than 4,000 PSI or so in one minute,.. then YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS ISSUES! Especially if it is an injector. As it gets worse, it can eventually lead to lead to flooding of the cylinder after the engine is switched off, resulting in hard starts and even possibly hydra-lock if it gets severe. Also the pump gets over-worked if you have any kind of decent rail leak, so if someone wants to stick their head in the sand and disagree with this, then go have fun. I have seen engines run rough, have excess soot and poor fuel mileage where an injector was leaking only about 2600 - 2800 PSI in one minute, so I thought that cummins original value of 4,300 was actually even a bit lenient back then, but 21,000? -- in 30 seconds? -- Must be a typo!. That or they got tired of making warranty claims is all I can say. It is likely supposed to be 150 bar, not 1500. That is what the original value that I read used to be.

Fine out what is leaky. Make sure it is not an injector and fix what is leaking. Most of the time it is simply the bypass valve that has gotten weak or trash in it but sometimes it is an injector, especially as the engine gets older and it effects fuel mileage and everything else.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: alexkyle , Toolguy
Mine leaks 11000psi in 30 sec
I've seen your video and I got scared
What I'm not clear is while you shut engine down it must have a bleed valve...
And also it depends were the mesurment is taken???
There is a pressure regulator at the end of the fuel rail...there are drain valves in the pump. I believe once you shut the engine off, the ecm cancels the test therefore bleeding the system out...??
If I would have such a grate leak the truck would stumble all over the
And probably not building up the pressure very fast in the test....
Bit what do I know....im just learning now about it
replyreply
(04-09-2017 )doarmihai Wrote:  Mine leaks 11000psi in 30 sec
I've seen your video and I got scared
What I'm not clear is while you shut engine down it must have a bleed valve...
And also it depends were the mesurment is taken???
There is a pressure regulator at the end of the fuel rail...there are drain valves in the pump. I believe once you shut the engine off, the ecm cancels the test therefore bleeding the system out...??
If I would have such a grate leak the truck would stumble all over the
And probably not building up the pressure very fast in the test....
Bit what do I know....im just learning now about it

There is no drain/dump valve for the 2250 and 2350 for when they are shut off. Most will hold pressure for a long time.

If your dropping from 29,000 to all the way down to 18,000 in ABOUT 30 seconds, YOU HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES!

STOP FOOLING YOURSELF AND BEING SO GODDAMN SKEPTICAL! .. YOU HAVE ISSUES!.

DID YOU NOT WATCH MY VIDEO?--- AND WATCH AN ACTUAL ENGINE THAT WAS BORDERLINE FOR NOT PASSING? --- WAKE UP AND SMELL THE DIESEL FUMES THERE GUY!!!!!!
====
I do not recommend someone work on their own fuel system on the 2250/2350 themselves without proper training!.
29,000+ PSI of fuel pressure is enough to slice your hand, arm, or face open like a knife at even the slightest unseen leak. It is enough pressure to slice a finger off just by waving your hand past it!. Not kidding..
Reference: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...97#pid9597

It is VERY DANGEROUS AND YOU CAN GET SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY INJURED, MAIMED, OR KILLED working in the high pressure rail yourself. -- Not worth the risk if you don't know what you are doing. Take it to Mr. hag, gearhead, Unilevers, or some other professional and let them find it for you. That way you will know if it is an injector starting to get leaky and go bad, or if it is simply a leaky pressure relief valve.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hhow55
https://youtu.be/zbOzX_OFDIg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.