Cold weather preparation
12-07-2016, (Subject: Cold weather preparation ) 
Cold weather preparation
Do any if you guys run engine belly tarps?

I'm thinking of covering the bottom area of the engine to block the freezing temperatures when driving. In the past I've placed baby diapers around the fuel filters and taped them up there and they helped.

I want to go one step further if I can. I'm interested in how to make one on my own if it's possible. Or a suggestion on a reliable place to order one.
replyreply
12-08-2016, (Subject: Cold weather preparation ) 
RE: Cold weather preparation
That would be for extreme cold temperatures at low speed operation. Such as driving the ice roads.
On Highway I believe you get too high oil temperatures.
replyreply
Thanks uncleal13.

I'll be heading to the Canadian border to meet some snowbirds and just trying to prepare for icy temperatures.
replyreply
I don't know what model of truck you have, but that can play a roll in deciding if a belly tarp is needed, wanted or a bad idea.
Let's discuss this for everybody.
First things first, if you are going to be running in cold climates I suggest you have a winter front for your rad. Particularly if you use webasto/espar, genset, or other type of idle reduction device. Closing the front in at night helps retain engine heat loss, especially if it's windy out.
I don't care how cold it gets when your driving NEVER completely close it! Yes your rad will run colder, but your CAC must have some airflow for heat exchange. Failing to let the CAC exchange heat means you are packing hot intake air into the cylinders with cold fuel, this is not a good practice for longevity. A minimum of approx 1 square foot should be open when driving.
If you drive an aerodynamic truck that has lots of or full side skirting, then there is no real need for a belly tarp. A winter front will reduce engine compartment airflow enough to allow sufficient ambient temps.
If on the other hand you drive a "classic" type of truck, and run US weights (5axle 80k) and are running MM or similar tune, and you drive very efficiently as Rawze suggests...not so fast, it may not be a bad idea. These truck designs allow crosswinds to rapidly draw the air from the engine compartment and can increase temperature stresses that are not healthy.
Your engine oil temp sensor is located next to the oil pressure sensor on the block of an ISX. How much colder do you think the oil in that steel oil pan with zero insulation R factor is? Check it with your infrared heat gun, it may shock you! I have frequently seen oil pan temps on my truck under 100* in the winter. That means there is sub 100* oil being forced into the crankshaft to feed the 200*+ rod bearings! Yeah the oil temp gauge shows 205*, and the oil is that hot when it gets that far up the block, but that's not what being fed to the first supply components.

I am a believer in belly tarps. When I ran my long-hoods pulling a tandem step, I drove exactly like Rawze says. I averaged 8mpg with a S60 back in 97-00. That was how I made the money to buy a >$300k trailer and move into what I do now. I always ran a belly tarp, because I didn't work the truck hard enough to keep the bottom end warm enough.

For one trip, it's not worth it. But if you run colder climates frequently and don't work your engine very hard...I'll stand by the recommendation.

I haul dozers, excavators, mining equipment...you know, stuff that has the aerodynamic equivalency of a parachute, so I built my truck with heat exchange as priority over AE. I have a huge rad, and good ground clearance allowing very good heat exchange, but with how efficient MM runs I've noticed a cold engine rattle when temps get below -15C, so I have installed my belly tarp. I will update results as time goes on.

For those who are looking for one, http://www.cantarp.com makes a very quality product. They make very nice winter fronts as well as DPF tank covers as well. Unless you are planning to join me on the ice roads, you will only need the 6' long belly tarp.
WARNING...once you run one, you may not want to go through a winter without one again!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I never heard of a belly tarp until ice road truckers.
I couldn't agree more with HH about the winter front.

Unless you're running Canada or Alaska I don't see any need for it with temps. above 0.
One thing you have to watch is fuel blends coming out of the south and higher water content.
We used rubatex pipe insulation on fuel crossover lines and beer cozies on the filters, dosing with anti gel additive and kept the winter front buttoned up.
In later trucks I ran Artic Fox tank immersion heaters. The bonnets on the front of the tanks help keep fuel warm.

At temps below 0 the best thing you can do is drop the speed!
Everyone forgets about wind chill. The faster you go the colder the metal and fuel get.

I had a team partner TWICE leave me on the side of the road with a truck barely running because he wouldn't slow down in - 20 weather.. By running down the shoulder at 2000 rpm in low gear and gradually working it up to 50 mph over 20 miles I was able to get back to operating temperature .
No way was I going to wait a day for him to get back to a frozen truck that no one could thaw out with dozens of other trucks in the same condition. Nothing like the threat of freezing to death to motivate you!

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.