Gear oil for trans and rearends
02-05-2017, (Subject: Gear oil for trans and rearends ) 
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends
(02-05-2017 )Magard Wrote:  What's your brake wear like taking it out of gear. I could see driving 57 in a 70 speed limit you probably just let it roll and let wind hold you back. Driving 57 in a 55 looking over your shoulder all the time, I would just be on the brakes a lot I would think. How does that work out in the slower speed limit areas?

Its called working the terrain, conditions, and limits, maintaining safety above all. We do not speed. - If the speed limit is 55, then we will average a bit lower speed so that as it speeds up and slows down on its own, it peaks at around the speed limit.

I have only replaced my brake pads once in a million miles. Have not replaced the drums yet, they still look fine. It is called keeping a good distance so that you don't have to ride your brakes and if the truck starts getting above the speed limit on its own too much, it simply goes back in gear, engine brakes as necessary, etc.

We don't play "Yeehaa" with the truck. it is simply a different way of driving it that apparently, the new Volvo I-shift now mimmicks to some degree. The difference is that we aren't looking to maintain a certain speed but only the average of "in gear having to press the fuel pedal" minimum, and a safe maximum based on the speed limits and terrain when rolling.

I would certainly think that any vehicle that is constantly trying to maintain a certian speed, (cruise or otherwise) against the varying conditions and resistances it encounters as it travels would consume quite a bit more, and bleed off a bit more resources, than to simply let it follow along within a set average on its own.

I am not trying to convince or even encourage anyone else to drive like we do, it is simply how we do things that work for us the best. mostly because I have always had vehicles with stick-shift, have always driven that way, and I hate automatic transmissions and the extra wear on an engine they cause in general. - My posts on the topic are to mostly just show that driving this way did not cause any more harm to my truck or its components than any other way of driving, in case other people do drive this way and have some concerns about it.

Anyone is welcome to pick it apart or protest againt how we drive, but it is not going to change 30+ years of driving habbits. We are one of the safest trucks on the roads, do not follow others very closely at all (it wastes fuel and resources), do not speed, etc. This dictates we are always going a little bit slower than the rest of traffic to some extent.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 386lover , Brock , Toolguy
honestly for all you wondering here is the truth

this is the difference of why rawze's truck averages 10mpg and is sometimes in the high 11's and 12's and bobtails 16+. yes his truck is in good shape but his tune is no different than alot of yours.

i guarantee that if your getting 5-6 and feel that is the best you can do and you put rawze in your truck for a week it would be 8-9 mpg. this style of driving works, its more of do you have the patience for it. do you want to keep money in your pocket or pay some rich saudi oil baron?

i never understood why people complain about driving slow, and i have little sympathy for people who drive fast and complain about mileage. KEEP THE DAM MONEY IN YOUR POCKET!! ITS RIGHT THERE JUST F$CK1NG TAKE IT!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55 , Brock , Waterloo , 386lover , LargeCar , Toolguy
Recently, i have noticed gear chatter. It is only when I'm in the in parking lot in 1-3 gear with the engine at idle. This is the only time it does this. Do i have a problem?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(02-05-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  Recently, i have noticed gear chatter. It is only when I'm in the in parking lot in 1-3 gear with the engine at idle. This is the only time it does this. Do i have a problem?

Maybe it's your throw out bearing chattering.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo
What's the amount of gallon capacity the rear diffs take when servicing?
replyreply
(02-05-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  Recently, i have noticed gear chatter. It is only when I'm in the in parking lot in 1-3 gear with the engine at idle. This is the only time it does this. Do i have a problem?

Could be the carrier bearing getting ready to fail. Been there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(02-05-2017 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote:  What's the amount of gallon capacity the rear diffs take when servicing?

I have Meritor rear ends, and it was around six gallons for both, 3 gallons each, if my memory serves me right... I was thinking of doing this myself, but wound up taking her up the street to the TA, $70 a diff with Mobil One Synthetic. I can't buy the fluid for that price. This was just the other day, and about fell over when they told me $140 for both axles, I said do it!

And check your front drive axle, many of us have a filter up there. If your axle is dirty, you will never see it... I picked one up at my International dealer for around $7. It was a FleetGuard filter.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Toolguy
(02-05-2017 )Unilevers Wrote:  honestly for all you wondering here is the truth

this is the difference of why rawze's truck averages 10mpg and is sometimes in the high 11's and 12's and bobtails 16+. yes his truck is in good shape but his tune is no different than alot of yours.

i guarantee that if your getting 5-6 and feel that is the best you can do and you put rawze in your truck for a week it would be 8-9 mpg. this style of driving works, its more of do you have the patience for it. do you want to keep money in your pocket or pay some rich saudi oil baron?

i never understood why people complain about driving slow, and i have little sympathy for people who drive fast and complain about mileage. KEEP THE DAM MONEY IN YOUR POCKET!! ITS RIGHT THERE JUST F$CK1NG TAKE IT!!!

Gona have to try it. Just wasn't taught that way. But hey saving money. I like it.
replyreply
04-14-2017, (Subject: Gear oil for trans and rearends ) 
So my transmission finally crapped out and I went to a gear place to get my parts to rebuild mine, they also rebuild them and the guy I was talking too has been doing trannys for 40 years... the topic of gear lube came up.

He says for every guy who says he's had luck, 5 don't.

His opinion is that the gear lube would theoretically be better for the main case but it's the syncros in the aux section that have trouble getting properly lubricated with the thicker oil, specifically the inside shown in my pic....

Especially if it's driven by a guy who likes to flip the range selector in nuteral.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.