Gear oil for trans and rearends
04-14-2017, (Subject: Gear oil for trans and rearends ) 
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends
I used to drive around like a chicken with its head cut off, usually at least 5 mph over the limit. 70, 75, even 80 loaded and empty, it didn't matter, but I had to be in the left lane, and I had to be passing someone! Then in 07 when fuel hit $5.15 a gallon in CA and I was going through $1500 a day in fuel, (team operation) I decided to try slowing down to 55-60. The truck I had at the time I had spec-ed to haul ass, so 17th became my new road gear as 18 lugged to much at that speed. A few months in I had noticed drastic changes in fuel consumption, tire wear, and just overall the way my body and mind felt after a long day of driving! I also noticed as all the goofballs flew by me that I was back far enough to see how many near accidents they were having, truck jockeying, lane changes for no reason,...etc., and I was back at a distance that it was of no concern to me, rarely did I even need to touch the brakes and never hard.
I liked driving that way so much better that I never went back to running fast or even driving the speed limit in most states. When I spec-ed my current truck in 2011, I went with 3:70 rears, instead of the 3:08's I had ordered on the previous truck. The 3:70's have me at 1450 RPM in top gear at 62mph. I have never looked back....just enjoyed saving the $$$, and not always needing the current "bear report"!

The only downfall I have encountered with running slow is that I do go through a sh!t-ton of windshields! Usually from company drivers cutting over the minute their DOT bumper clears my hood, but that is a trade off I am willing to make!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , 386lover , LargeCar

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends - Unilevers - 02-05-2017,
RE: Gear oil for trans and rearends - JMBT - 04-14-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.