ODD Cummins oil pressure
12-10-2016, (Subject: ODD Cummins oil pressure ) 
ODD Cummins oil pressure
Hello everyone, here is my problem with 06ISX. My oil pressure normal is like 36psi but i noticed lately that it goes up to 45- 60psi stays there for few minutes and drops to normal again, this can happen ones a day or 2. Under 10k miles after oil change, im using Delvac, Fleetguard filters. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.
replyreply
12-10-2016, (Subject: ODD Cummins oil pressure ) 
RE: ODD Cummins oil pressure
Could be gauge going bad or sending unit. Try checking with a mechanical
Oil gauge to be sure. Our oil gauge is acting just the opposite and
That's what we're trying. Good luck with problem.
replyreply
12-11-2016, (Subject: ODD Cummins oil pressure ) 
Hey thanks, Yeah, I will buy oil pressure sensor and will see if that will fix problem. When pressure goes up engine runs fine same as at normal psi, i been doing aome research some ppl advise to change oil filter, well will see. Thanks
replyreply
(12-11-2016 )DKenworth Wrote:  Hey thanks, Yeah, I will buy oil pressure sensor and will see if that will fix problem. When pressure goes up engine runs fine same as at normal psi, i been doing aome research some ppl advise to change oil filter, well will see. Thanks

I did my first three oil changes prematurely when my truck was new, I always do to eliminate potential manufacturing, machining, and initial wear debris.
I had the oil filter plug on my '09 on the first oil change interval that I tried to run to full service, 12k miles. When the filter plugged, the oil pressure crashed, not spiked.
The pressure gauge/sending unit is post filter, not pre, therefore a plugged filter would deprive the engine of sufficient flow & pressure.
If your gauge is correct, and you are actually having pressure spikes, I'd investigate downstream of the sending unit. I would suspect an oil rifle blockage further downstream causing pressure buildup at/before the sensor. This would be above the piston cooling jets and upwards. My first suspect would be in the head. Particularly the rocker shafts or internal drillings, as this is the last part of pressurized flow with the smallest oil rifles and many turns and bends where soot deposits like to form.
If your gauge is correct, the simplest way to attempt to clean without physically dismantling engine components would be to use a high detergent content oil, such as Rotella, and several very short change intervals to have as clean as possible oil to help carry away the soot. I would suggest 3 or 4 3,000 mile oil changes. I agree with Rawze, and dislike switching oil brands, but for this special circumstance it may be advisable.
Also, make sure you are using the long oil filter, the 9000 not the 9070. A longer filter means more surface area, and less likely to plug.
Good luck, and provide feedback about what you find so we can all learn from it.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Thanks, Ill do oil change with Rotella oil and let you guys know. Im parked on Pilot untill tommorow, no shop here to do oil change today.
replyreply
Rotella is sad. Does about as much good as Lucas.
replyreply
(12-11-2016 )DKenworth Wrote:  Thanks, Ill do oil change with Rotella oil and let you guys know. Im parked on Pilot untill tommorow, no shop here to do oil change today.

For short drain intervals, I'm comfortable advising to stay with the 9070 short filters. If you're doing approx 3000mile drains, you're not going to risk plugging even the short filter that quickly...and save a few $$$, I think the 9000's are about $20 more but I haven't bought a short one in many years so it may not be that much.

(12-11-2016 )Jarhead79 Wrote:  Rotella is sad. Does about as much good as Lucas.

So are you just going to regurgitate some verbal diarrhea or personal opinion, or are you going to substantiate that claim with something of substance?

Lucas is zero additive refined oil base stock. It is used as a viscosity enhancer that then dilutes your oils additive package. I agree with Rawze, and do not use or recommend it.

Rotella is a high detergent content oil, which is why an engine with sufficient wear consumes it at higher rates than it's competitors.
However saying that it does as much good as Lucas is unsubstantiated. This is supported by this http://www.motoroiltests.com/diesel-oil-...E3FzutfOrU oil study. Number 1 & 2 are high priced 15/40 synthetics, #3 is a synthetic 5/40 which is specifically recommended to avoid viscosities of less than 15/40 by Cummins for use in any twin cam engine (871 or prior, which the OP stated '06). So that brings us to 4, 5, & 6. Four is Chevron Delo 400 15/40, five is Mobil Delvac 15/40, and 6 is "new" Rotella 15/40 followed by seven "old" Rotella 15/40.
Rawze states that ISX's need lots of zinc, and Rotella exceeds Mobil Delvac in zinc levels, so IMHO, that makes Rotella ranked 2 & 3, because I cannot justify the high cost of synthetics without extended drain intervals. Rawze has educated me on the inadvisability of that practice. Rawze has forgotten more about oil & additive packages than I ever intend to learn, so I'll happily defer to his recommendations and save myself the time investment to learn what he already shares.
Since the purpose of my post as to assist with the possible soot contamination buildup of this particular OP's issue, and Rotella has the highest detergent content of 4 through 7, this actually makes it not only a good recommendation, but the best recommendation supported by testing and knowledge.

I am human, and I am completely capable of being wrong. Prove to me I'm wrong, and I'll be happy to have learned something and gladly change my recommendation.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(12-11-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 )DKenworth Wrote:  Thanks, Ill do oil change with Rotella oil and let you guys know. Im parked on Pilot untill tommorow, no shop here to do oil change today.

For short drain intervals, I'm comfortable advising to stay with the 9070 short filters. If you're doing approx 3000mile drains, you're not going to risk plugging even the short filter that quickly...and save a few $$$, I think the 9000's are about $20 more but I haven't bought a short one in many years so it may not be that much.

(12-11-2016 )Jarhead79 Wrote:  Rotella is sad. Does about as much good as Lucas.

So are you just going to regurgitate some verbal diarrhea or personal opinion, or are you going to substantiate that claim with something of substance?

Lucas is zero additive refined oil base stock. It is used as a viscosity enhancer that then dilutes your oils additive package. I agree with Rawze, and do not use or recommend it.

Rotella is a high detergent content oil, which is why an engine with sufficient wear consumes it at higher rates than it's competitors.
However saying that it does as much good as Lucas is unsubstantiated. This is supported by this http://www.motoroiltests.com/diesel-oil-...E3FzutfOrU oil study. Number 1 & 2 are high priced 15/40 synthetics, #3 is a synthetic 5/40 which is specifically recommended to avoid viscosities of less than 15/40 by Cummins for use in any twin cam engine (871 or prior, which the OP stated '06). So that brings us to 4, 5, & 6. Four is Chevron Delo 400 15/40, five is Mobil Delvac 15/40, and 6 is "new" Rotella 15/40 followed by seven "old" Rotella 15/40.
Rawze states that ISX's need lots of zinc, and Rotella exceeds Mobil Delvac in zinc levels, so IMHO, that makes Rotella ranked 2 & 3, because I cannot justify the high cost of synthetics without extended drain intervals. Rawze has educated me on the inadvisability of that practice. Rawze has forgotten more about oil & additive packages than I ever intend to learn, so I'll happily defer to his recommendations and save myself the time investment to learn what he already shares.
Since the purpose of my post as to assist with the possible soot contamination buildup of this particular OP's issue, and Rotella has the highest detergent content of 4 through 7, this actually makes it not only a good recommendation, but the best recommendation supported by testing and knowledge.

I am human, and I am completely capable of being wrong. Prove to me I'm wrong, and I'll be happy to have learned something and gladly change my recommendation.
Speaking of LUCAS :) I never used lucas since i owned this truck and at all i do not recommend using it.
replyreply
I'm trying to find out if the rotella T4 is the new CK4 oil in disguise?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.