Torque arm busing
12-16-2016, (Subject: Torque arm busing ) 
Torque arm busing
Here is my pictures of my torque arms, do I just replace the bushings or do you guys just by a whole now torque arm? Second question as see in the picture the torque arm is no level it look like move down, when installing new one how do it supposed to align up and whats the torque spec for the nuts. Is there a special tool needed to remove the bushing?./uploads/201612/post_2347_1481917671_c7af6af297f3db746392b0d3c1d566b3.jpg./uploads/201612/post_2347_1481917687_1a0f890bef2ed8a8b226869032a15c38.jpg./uploads/201612/post_2347_1481917702_51c8c12067edc8603ee41eaa5016fe93.jpg./uploads/201612/post_2347_1481917714_06ce3a94fa57dab04663a96b97ba1bb9.jpg

User's Signature: I stand on a square, I am always seeking light... Just old traveling man lost in the wilderness my compass is pointing me to the East!!!!
replyreply
RE: Torque arm busing
I don't think they are supposed to be level.

I was at International the other day. They had a few siting on the counter waiting to be picked up. They were the complete arm, bushing and all.

torque spec? -- you should be able to ask them when you pick up the new ones.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
they can be rebuilt, but takes a large press. Take the arm to a suspension shop and get em to rebuild it for you (change the bushings).

The arm will go in with force, but by lowering or raising your airbags you can get enough clearance to get it to go. Run the bolts up with a 1/2 air impact as tight as you can get em. or a fairly good pull on a 3/4 gun.
replyreply
When I had to replace my torque rods on my old Pete about 15 years ago, the price of the bushings was $90 each. So $180 for both for one rod, plus all the screwing around trying to change them, or you could get a new rod with bushings already installed for $190.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
I didnt find it economical to just do the bushings so I bought new arms but not from the dealers. I called fort Gary and traction and hot them half the price.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
I got one complete, torque axle rod for $133 at Global Truck Parts in ATL., about 2 months ago.

I think the bushings are about $20-$25 each, plus shop labor to press out and press in the new ones if you rebuild them. I priced some Kenworth bushings and the cheapest place for me I found was out of FL from a warehouse. So I decided the complete arm was a better way to go for me.

When Unilevers said you have to raise and lower the air bag height to install the torque arm back into the place it bolts up to.... he is 100% correct.

Believe me, this is a job you can do yourself but you better be ready and eat your Wheaties with some Budweiser that morning.

Re-installing that arm you will need a long pry bar and be ready to grab the day by the "p@$))? to get the second side in and bolted down. Leveraging your way into it by raising the rear suspension up and down helps a lot.

I got it done in about 10 minutes, 15-20 bad words, 1 Budweiser and had a friend raise and lower the leveling arm while I stood with in the frame and on the frame rails fighting that thing prying.

Hahaha good luck and cheers!
replyreply
Torque arm bushings in that condition are one of the biggest "Steer Tire Killers" out there, most people overlook that.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
(12-16-2016 )biscuits and gravy Wrote:  I got one complete, torque axle rod for $133 at Global Truck Parts in ATL., about 2 months ago.

I think the bushings are about $20-$25 each, plus shop labor to press out and press in the new ones if you rebuild them. I priced some Kenworth bushings and the cheapest place for me I found was out of FL from a warehouse. So I decided the complete arm was a better way to go for me.

When Unilevers said you have to raise and lower the air bag height to install the torque arm back into the place it bolts up to.... he is 100% correct.

Believe me, this is a job you can do yourself but you better be ready and eat your Wheaties with some Budweiser that morning.

Re-installing that arm you will need a long pry bar and be ready to grab the day by the "p@$))? to get the second side in and bolted down. Leveraging your way into it by raising the rear suspension up and down helps a lot.

I got it done in about 10 minutes, 15-20 bad words, 1 Budweiser and had a friend raise and lower the leveling arm while I stood with in the frame and on the frame rails fighting that thing prying.

Hahaha good luck and cheers!

Well tomorrow let the fight begin.... Its going in or I am going down... (lol)

User's Signature: I stand on a square, I am always seeking light... Just old traveling man lost in the wilderness my compass is pointing me to the East!!!!
replyreply
12-17-2016, (Subject: Torque arm busing ) 
It's not that bad of a job. Sometimes you have to step back and think a minute. A bottle jack will help,you may need to jack one side or the other,while working the leveling valve. For seized bolts,I stumbled on something earlier this week. 3m dust remover,the canned air for computers and such. If you shake the can while spraying it puts out a super cold mist. I tried it on a shock bolt and actually heard a crack when the bond broke. So if you have a fastener where heat it a issue give that a shot.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.