What is a good coolant
12-16-2016, (Subject: What is a good coolant ) 
What is a good coolant
I have 09 prostar isx 871 the manual says use Shell Rotella® Ultra Extended Life Coolant, I just change my coolant filter so I drain all the coolant out of the truck. Does any one has recommendations on what they will put back in their truck?

User's Signature: I stand on a square, I am always seeking light... Just old traveling man lost in the wilderness my compass is pointing me to the East!!!!
replyreply
RE: What is a good coolant
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/ourcoolantsolutions

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
Red 50/50 premix and test ph twice a year, never had any problem with cavitation.
Fleetpride sells Prima guard by the case

I flushed with Cummins Restore and went with the Fleetguard ES Blue extended life after all coolant loss problems were solved. $11/gl by the case. Non SCA filter every 30k miles.

Best bet is something you can pick up at any truck stop and is compatible if you have any problems on the road like a blown hose or leaking EGR cooler.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
I never pay enough attention to the coolant. I mix and match whatever cheap cap I can find and have never had any problem that would lead me to believe I should change this approach, it's coolant.... not oil.

I've never tested my coolant as in2trux suggested although I like the idea. A rad shop owner once told me I should test the silica level from time to time but I really didn't ask how nor did I care. extended life has a wicked life expectancy and I just change it usually once a year, sometimes I stretch it. I don't believe any fluid is meant to be left in for that amount of time...

Now I'm thinking I wanna test the pH

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(12-16-2016 )rgreen Wrote:  I have 09 prostar isx 871 the manual says use Shell Rotella® Ultra Extended Life Coolant, I just change my coolant filter so I drain all the coolant out of the truck. Does any one has recommendations on what they will put back in their truck?

Just above the coolant filter is a small silver-ish shutoff valve with an arrow on it. This is so you can change the filter without draining anything. Arrow UP, it is on,.. Arrow to the LEFT, it is shut off.

==============

The best looking liners after a million plus when I see an engine apart,... have all had RED extended life in them that was checked regularly and replaced every 400-500k miles. - At $7.00 a gallon from a local supplier, you can't go wrong.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 386lover
(12-16-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-16-2016 )rgreen Wrote:  I have 09 prostar isx 871 the manual says use Shell Rotella® Ultra Extended Life Coolant, I just change my coolant filter so I drain all the coolant out of the truck. Does any one has recommendations on what they will put back in their truck?

Just above the coolant filter is a small silver-ish shutoff valve with an arrow on it. This is so you can change the filter without draining anything. Arrow UP, it is on,.. Arrow to the LEFT, it is shut off.

==============

The best looking liners after a million plus when I see an engine apart,... have all had RED extended life in them that was checked regularly and replaced every 400-500k miles. - At $7.00 a gallon from a local supplier, you can't go wrong.

When I brought the truck, i don't know what the previous owner did, so i went ahead drain the system. The next thing I was to do is change the tranny fluid and filter and change the differential fluid.

User's Signature: I stand on a square, I am always seeking light... Just old traveling man lost in the wilderness my compass is pointing me to the East!!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.