Broke down yet again
03-03-2016, (Subject: Broke down yet again ) 
Broke down yet again
Had the truck break down on me last month. I was able to limp it to a KW dealer and they had replaced the EGR valve, Nox sensors, Exhaust back pressure sensor, did a dpf cleaning, and a regen. Got back on the road yesterday and picked up a load only to get about 500 miles from the shipper and bam....warning lamp comes on for Nox sensor fault, then the check engine light comes on for engine protection derate. I guess I am just wanting to know what I should be looking out for when they tell me what is wrong and what needs replaced, so I don't get screwed again by these crooks. The bill for the break down last month was $3,600, and this is the 3rd time I've had this thing in for Nox issues that never seem to get fixed.

I asked the guy working on the truck if it is common for an EGR Valve to just unexpectedly fail, and he said not really, but it can happen. So, I guess that is my next question. Can an EGR Valve fail randomly, or is there other underlying issues that led to it's failure that should have been investigated as well? I was able to see the old one, and it didin't look bad on the inside. Had some soot build up, but nothing outrageous. It did fail in the closed position though. I won't be able to get into the shop until tomorrow to hear what is going on now with it, but I have a good feeling it's going to have something to do with the work that was done last month. It's absolutely frustrating to spend that kind of money, only to see that nothing is being properly fixed. Truck and engine model is in my sig if anyone wants to know.

User's Signature: 2012 Cascadia ISX15 CM2250
replyreply
RE: Broke down yet again
We just had a truck in here for NOX issue..Some issues are that the DEF fluid is not working in the pipe of the. You can remove the elbow from the SCR and do a test to see if it sprays..
replyreply
(03-03-2016 )trdodd07 Wrote:  Had the truck break down on me last month. I was able to limp it to a KW dealer and they had replaced the EGR valve, Nox sensors, Exhaust back pressure sensor, did a dpf cleaning, and a regen. Got back on the road yesterday and picked up a load only to get about 500 miles from the shipper and bam....warning lamp comes on for Nox sensor fault, then the check engine light comes on for engine protection derate. I guess I am just wanting to know what I should be looking out for when they tell me what is wrong and what needs replaced, so I don't get screwed again by these crooks. The bill for the break down last month was $3,600, and this is the 3rd time I've had this thing in for Nox issues that never seem to get fixed.

I asked the guy working on the truck if it is common for an EGR Valve to just unexpectedly fail, and he said not really, but it can happen. So, I guess that is my next question. Can an EGR Valve fail randomly, or is there other underlying issues that led to it's failure that should have been investigated as well? I was able to see the old one, and it didin't look bad on the inside. Had some soot build up, but nothing outrageous. It did fail in the closed position though. I won't be able to get into the shop until tomorrow to hear what is going on now with it, but I have a good feeling it's going to have something to do with the work that was done last month. It's absolutely frustrating to spend that kind of money, only to see that nothing is being properly fixed. Truck and engine model is in my sig if anyone wants to know.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...382#pid382

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Got the truck into the shop now. I pulled the fault codes before it rolled in. Before, the NOX issues were that the conversion rate was low, and now this time it's about an abnormal update rate.

Cummins codes are:
2771 Aftertreatment 1 Outlet NOx Sensor - Abnormal Update Rate
3717 Engine Protection Torque Derate - Condition Exists

(03-03-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...382#pid382

I surely hope that is not the issue. I looked underneath a few days ago because I had to replace a v clamp that they stripped out. I didn't see anything abnormal but after reading that post, I'm gonna take a good look up it's skirt now.

replyreply
Latest is that the wiring to for the aftertreatment to the ECM was split somewhere.

Bought the IMAP and EGR Diff pressure sensor, the Exhaust backpressure sensor was replaced already when they did the EGR valve. Having them take the intake off and clean it out as well. I pulled the crossover tube a couple months ago and cleaned it, Just don't have the tools on hand to remove and clean the rest since our house is that Freightliner. Hoping this will get things going into a better direction.

replyreply
03-04-2016, (Subject: Broke down yet again ) 
Mr. Hags shop is very good with solving those pesky systems on ISX.

Unilevers and Gearhead are very good too.

Just throwing it out there in case you keep having repeating failures.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-04-2016, (Subject: Broke down yet again ) 
(03-04-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Mr. Hags shop is very good with solving those pesky systems on ISX.

Unilevers and Gearhead are very good too.

Just throwing it out there in case you keep having repeating failures.

I'll definitely do that if more problems arise. Thanks!

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.