Transmission swap
12-19-2016, (Subject: Transmission swap ) 
Transmission swap
I currently have a Eaton Fuller 10 speed. I would like to swap this out, and put a automatic in. Has anyone done this? How much of a proble am I looking at?
replyreply
12-19-2016, (Subject: Transmission swap ) 
RE: Transmission swap
(12-19-2016 )74bassman Wrote:  I currently have a Eaton Fuller 10 speed. I would like to swap this out, and put a automatic in. Has anyone done this? How much of a proble am I looking at?

You'll need a new transmission, the wiring harness and shifter controls. Depending on the truck, you may swap out the Contreras consol to fit the controls. Computer and you'll need to reprogram.

zif you find a wrecker yard with one and grab all of these things then it's pretty easy.

And I don't care what people tell you.... You cannot use the same transmission! There absolutely are internal differences.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
12-25-2016, (Subject: Transmission swap ) 
I wouldn't swap to auto.. way too complicated .

Why not swap the truck ?
replyreply
12-25-2016, (Subject: Transmission swap ) 
(12-19-2016 )74bassman Wrote:  I currently have a Eaton Fuller 10 speed. I would like to swap this out, and put a automatic in. Has anyone done this? How much of a proble am I looking at?
my personal experience is you are asking for more probs with auto. Less mpg, will leave your ass sitting on side of road. More expensive to maintain. I would not own a truck with auto, my partner wont have anything else. It let him down in BFE, $14,000 later he got going. Thus is just my experience.
replyreply
12-26-2016, (Subject: Transmission swap ) 
(12-25-2016 )axe Wrote:  my personal experience is you are asking for more probs with auto. Less mpg, will leave your ass sitting on side of road. More expensive to maintain. I would not own a truck with auto, my partner wont have anything else. It let him down in BFE, $14,000 later he got going. Thus is just my experience.

I totally agree with this, and talked to him about it. He has a problem with his knees and water buildup on them from permanent knee damage/injuries. He knows the losses and downside, but for him, I think, it is a better option than not driving any more. He likes driving and what he does, he needs a compromise for his knees and health is all.

He really likes his truck and does not want to sell it. But if it is too much hassle, he will, and get something else with Automatic. -- He is pretty much at that point now, and I don't blame him. Problem is, that it is a really good running truck that is high fuel mileage and good profit. -- So what does one do? -- I think this is the question he is really asking, because the truck is de-mandated and most used truck dealers use that as an excuse to give a lot less trade-in value on it towards something else, even though it is MM, done very well, and truck is highly profitable.

So what DOES one do? ..

-- Undo the mandate for a few thousand bucks and try to trade it in for a 2014 w/Automatic?

-- Go through the hassle to try to get an Automatic in it and retrofit it? - He already knows he has a good truck, just needs to be Automatic.

-- Try to sell it separately from dealer and buy something else? (harder to do, takes a lot more time)

Something else?

-- I would think he possibly could find someone who does NOT want an Automatic who has a decent truck too, who could trade trucks with him>?. -- Just some thought on it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
If he has;
1)A good reliable truck
2)Has "fixed" the issues caused by aftertreatment system
3)The rest of the components will outlast the time needed to recover the investment of the tranny swap
4)Has a profitable running truck
5)Legit reason for doing said changeover (health is pretty legit to me)

Then yes, I think changing trannys is almost assuredly going to be less trouble in the long term than finding another truck and straightening out the issues that we all know used trucks come with...at least now he knows what he's got, and sometimes there is value in that alone

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I looked into doin a similar swap for an older fella havins similar issues. I believe you can swap an 2 pedal ultrashift with relative ease. Ive seen a couple of them complete with towers and controls for 3-5k. Everything to swap it in. I wouldnt do an Allison unless it was a dump truck. But a 10,13,or 18 automated is probly your best bet. Ive heard mixed reviews on them, but the ones i know of personally have been very reliable. Very similar to a regular manual trans, just has its own controlls for shifting and engaging the clutch.
Hope it helps
replyreply
12-27-2016, (Subject: Transmission swap ) 
Man that's a tough call. Like someone said if you could find wrecked truck or someone willing to swap, that seems like cheapest option. Good luck. Tim Jordan in Crandall Tx has helped my buddy out a lot with his ultrashift, has salvage yard and rebuilds tans on site. Might be of some help to you.
replyreply
01-01-2017, (Subject: Transmission swap ) 
I have a line on a wreck prostar that is 09 and mine is a 10. Just replaced the clutch in this 10 speed over, it seems to help quite a bit. Much less pressure to press the clutch petal.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.