Cold start vs idling
12-21-2016, (Subject: Cold start vs idling ) 
RE: Cold start vs idling
(12-20-2016 )Mrkentee Wrote:  What's worse? Cold start at 5 or 10 degrees, or idling for 10 hours?

When it is that cold and we have to sit, we set a 4 hour timer and crank it every 4 hours for about 10 minutes or so.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-21-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  I have had several of those DBW2010 webasto heaters. They draw too much amperage that makes the risk of the truck not starting to likely for me to recommend that option.
I would suggest a TSL17 engine heater with an AT2000 bunk heater combo kit(or the Espar equivelant) They draw much less amperage and are all most guys up here in Canada use that don't have APU's...some guys even have them with APU's to keep the hours down.

I'm looking at one (tsl 17) on ebay now for $800 for everything except 7 day timer. I think I'll jump and get it.
Edit-He'll give me the 7 day timer for $100 more.
replyreply
Good deal, timer is normally about $275.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
I run in western canada and like others use Webasto heaters. Installed the tandem kit this fall and it ran me about $2500cdn for the kit. That included both heaters, all install hardware, fuel systems and 2 smartemp controllers. I run the coolant heater most of the year and the air heater around freezing and lower unless of course I'm sleeping in it.

I only idle at -25c or below and only when I'm sleeping in it because as you approach -30c some webastos don't like to start because it's hard to pump that super cold fuel through those tiny lines, I don't want to wake up to a frozen truck in some far away land. If I'm home I rely on the webasto and if it gets too cold for it to run then it's too damn cold to work anyways :).
replyreply
Im on the Canadian prairies myself. I have both Webasto engine and bunk heaters, plus the Maxwell ESM. I shut it off down to -30C (-22F), never had a problem starting it. Below that it's too risky. My last truck only idled 8 nights in three years, and coincidentally it only did 8 parked regens in the same time period.
Another truck I had parked for the weekend, -34C Espar engine heater, it fired right up too, but it had no oil pressure. I used synthetic after that.
replyreply
(12-21-2016 )uncleal13 Wrote:  Another truck I had parked for the weekend, -34C Espar engine heater, it fired right up too, but it had no oil pressure. I used synthetic after that.

I knew a guy that made an extension for the exhaust that had a flattened end that he routed to exit under/across the oil pan so that it would heat the oil while it was heating the coolant. He said it worked great, but he only used the extension in the winter.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(12-21-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-20-2016 )Mrkentee Wrote:  What's worse? Cold start at 5 or 10 degrees, or idling for 10 hours?

When it is that cold and we have to sit, we set a 4 hour timer and crank it every 4 hours for about 10 minutes or so.
This is what I have been doing in older truck I just bought with no apu and no bunk heater.
replyreply
(12-21-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  
(12-20-2016 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  
(12-20-2016 )Brock Wrote:  You can buy a espar or webasto coolant heater for like 800 bucks.

Huh. I was unaware they were that cheap. Looks like I got something to ask for for Christmas.

This is what you need to keep a big engine and bunk hot. You would still need an enclosure, 7 day timer and aux heater core with low amp draw fan in the bunk.
My father in law was a dealer for many years and we have several units and spare parts inventory.

http://www.iandmelectric.com/products/we...er-12-volt

I just picked up a Webasto engine and bunk heater combo with everything needed to install including smart timers for $2000 Canadian.

I can find brand new engine heaters online for cheaper than 800 usd easily.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(12-21-2016 )Brock Wrote:  I just picked up a Webasto engine and bunk heater combo with everything needed to install including smart timers for $2000 Canadian.

I can find brand new engine heaters online for cheaper than 800 usd easily.

Where did you find the pair for $2k? I've been thinking of picking up a pair to keep the hours down on the APU since the majority of my nights out aren't really that cold

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.