Carbon Cleaning with Walnut Blasting
08-20-2017, (Subject: Carbon Cleaning with Walnut Blasting ) 
RE: Carbon Cleaning with Walnut Blasting
(08-20-2017 )awe504 Wrote:  Hello, the engine is a ISM 410. It has only has 215k, but has 15k hrs. So needless to say it idles a lot. It has been to 2 different dealers and $20k later still having the same problem. So it has been handed off to me. I believe a combination of leaking EGR valve (tested), valve stem seals (verified), and clogged CCV filter (possibly NEVER changed) and plugged doser injector (verified) and original IMAP sensor (clogged completely) have contributed to the problem. I dont understand how 2 different shops and $20k later it has the original IMAP is still installed. But I digress. The issue now is all the soot on the intake. I removed the manifold and verified bad stem seals. The intake is coated with VERY heavy soot. 1/8" - 1/4" I am thinking of blasting with a walnut shells. I feel like it definitely has to be cleaned to prevent a comeback. I work on BMWs and this is their recommended method. I know Rawze wanted to see some verification.

BMW TSB
{**Content removed by protection bot**- filesharing.}

I have read past posts debating cleaning methods for soot, and it seemed the consensus is that it is better left alone unless the head is off. I am replacing valve stem seals so I will have the entire valvetrain out and I will know for sure all valves are closed. And this method applies vacuum while blasting to keep dust to a minimum. I was planning on doing it before I replace the stem seals. I suppose I am asking for opinions from the MOST knowledgeable thinktank on the subject.

I am not completely against this type of cleaning. here is what i had to say about it ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid10573

I saw the pdf file you posted of the TSB. It looks legit to me, but it needs to be a link to an official document from the engine maker or source for it to be allowed on the forum publicly. This keeps control of such information in their hands so that they can keep it up to date.

- A link to files off another forum or auto site is not ok. Any link can be hijacked by the other forum or its users to make bad things happen for those who click on it. today it seems fine, but a year form now, it may be a different story.

I like the TSB you posted and tried to find an official link for it, but oddly enough, there are no official documents I could find from BMW or official TSB sites. If you can find a link to an official site, post it and I will allow it to stay.

In the mean time, someone can always PM you for the tsb link to what you posted. - Sorry for the incontinence.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Completely understand. I'll try and find the official link when I get to the shop on monday.
replyreply
Pictures would be nice, but video would be SWEET!!!

I'm quite interested in your results.

Oh and the reason none of the stealerships changed the IMAP sensor is easy...when you train a monkey to follow a troubleshooting tree, and don't put "Check condition of IMAP sensor in the tree" he doesn't know to do it. Well why the hell doesn't he think to do it then? Because the monkeys have been trained that if they do anything outside of the T/S tree they don't get paid by Cummins warranty. That is how you create a perpetual customer...

You'll notice around here that the "monkeys" have migrated out of the trees and choose to develop that interconnected bundle of tissue located in the lump three feet above our asses:oh:

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT , snailexpress
06-28-2018, (Subject: Carbon Cleaning with Walnut Blasting ) 
Why do we deal with this junk kills trees in CA egr just cost money hear this newer trucks get better fuel mileage got 8 with 95 cabover 7.8 with 780 today hard to say who is the trained Abe them or us
replyreply
07-03-2018, (Subject: Carbon Cleaning with Walnut Blasting ) 
First I have the same issue and spent Sunday pulling intake off and cleaning .....maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 inch of soot on intake in head ...I opted to clean what I could a plastic screw driver and stiff brush always pulling material out. The discussion? I opt to go with Rawze on that it will hopefully over time clean itself if you repair what caused to begin with, far from perfect but sometimes you got to play the cards your delt. Blasting walnut shells? I have used many different methods for cleaning, steam cleaner, high pressure water, sand blasters and any time I am using them in a blind situation then stop and look? I usually missed half what I was trying to get ... like how'd I miss that? its half inch from nozzle? It rarely cleans like you would think. I'm sure you will get a lot out but? Keep us posted please as these engines get older there will be many with this problem. Mine has 205,000 miles and 17,000 hours.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.