Rear motor mounts
12-28-2016, (Subject: Rear motor mounts ) 
Rear motor mounts
Trying to change the rear motor mounts, the ones on the bell housing, on an 09 Prostar with an isx. How do you get the big center bolt out? I have had a 1 1/8 socket hammering it with a 1" drive 2000ft lb tire gun and have only accomplished breaking one socket and finally rounding off the edges of the nut. Any body do these before?

User's Signature: I don't know sh!t from shinola!
replyreply
RE: Rear motor mounts
I have had to heat the nuts up. But if they are froze up in the pass through part of the mount you have to remove the mount from the flywheel housing :(
replyreply
Kind of what I was thinking. I put about ten foot of breaker bar on it and can not budge the bolt so I am assuming it is froze in the mount. Thinking of just cutting the nut and taking it off the bell housing then cutting the bolt top off to replace the mount. Just a sh@t load of work to do a simple job. I have more time invested in trying to get the bolt off at this time that it may just be penny wise to cut it off at this point.

replyreply
12-30-2016, (Subject: Rear motor mounts ) 
So I ended up cutting the nut off the bottom of the right mount but like Mr hagg said, the threw bolt is froze in the mount. A huge pain to get to a couple of the bolts on the tranny because the mount was in the way. The left one looks really tough because of the starter and the clutch linkage. I heated that one up several times and the nut finally came off but the bolt is of course froze in the mount. Looks to me that if I could get that bolt out I might be able to slip the mount out to the rear without pulling the top bracket off of the tranny. Any suggestions?

replyreply
To remove rusted bolts and nuts:
Clean threads with wire brush and chisel away rust in threads with chisel at parallel angle to threads.
Heat with torch until nut starts to glow, stop torch.
Spray a 50/50 mix of Acetone/Dexron Transmission Fluid on the bolt & nut.
Strike bolt and nut with hammer several times.
Reapply 50/50 mix slowly and some will absorb in the nut/bolt gap.
Use breaker bar and tightest fitting socket to loosen nut, when it is coming off and it feels like it is stuck again, go forward one turn, clean threads, apply 50/50 mixture and reverse nut off.
replyreply
I heated the bolt cherry red then hit with air hammer, came right out. Thanks.

replyreply
01-01-2017, (Subject: Rear motor mounts ) 
If frozen i take nuts off and take airhammer and drive the bolt upward it will break the rust up from vibration and probably mess up threads but i woulld replace the bolts anyway due to all the rust and the lock nuts can come loose if reused.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.