CM870
01-02-2017, (Subject: CM870 ) 
RE: CM870
(01-02-2017 )JLDees Wrote:  ...
I drove a 9200i International with a cm870 about a year ago and it had a second or so delay with the jake response which really bothered me, is there any way to change the response?

Not every brand and model of truck/engine operates the same way. Ever thought that just maybe some engines need to change modes and take time to re-adjust the turbo BEFORE the jake kicks in? so that it does not cause harm and/or over-spool the turbo? - 1-2 seconds delay minimum Sound like good programming while maintaining a quick response to me.

Jake delay can be adjusted on most ISX in the engine settings, but there should always be a minimum transition to protect the engine and turbo, and to minimize sudden/drastic temperature changes in the cylinders on a larger engine.

Seriously? - One or 2 seconds jake delay on a vehicle that weighs 80,000 pounds and has the response of a turd? , and you are worried about it?> -- really? -- That is a completely ridiculous cow-boy attitude crap way of thinking if you ask me.

Last I checked, My truck was for making money and not for more power, more this and faster that. I do not promote nor agree with people who are always looking for more more more and faster faster and faster. No money long term in it but instead only serves to stroke ones own ego and shorten the life of their equipment.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-02-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Seriously? - One or 2 seconds jake delay on a vehicle that weighs 80,000 pounds and has the response of a turd? , and you are worried about it?> -- really? -- That is a completely ridiculous cow-boy attitude crap way of thinking if you ask me.

Last I checked, My truck was for making money and not for more power, more this and faster that. I do not promote nor agree with people who are always looking for more more more and faster faster and faster. No money long term in it but instead only serves to stroke ones own ego and shorten the life of their equipment.

Thanks for the response on ability to change, and before I respond to that I want to thank you for the website and youtube videos to help guys like us and get us information and how to's that help us keep rolling. I have read your book as well and agree with most of it and I am not here to upset anyone or step on toes or hoop n holler about horsepower and running fast or xxx miles in a day etc.

I have mentioned more than once I have been happy with my stock 425hp for 8 years (Not looking for more HP or Speed or faster this or that) I also run a 86 freightliner FLC with a stock 400hp b model and a 81 KW W900 With a stock Big Cam 400 and last I checked I am the only one who drives any of my trucks and same as you their job is to make me money and they are all 30+ years old but do the job.

With that said they are all mechanical and run mechanical switches for the jake for instant response which is what I learned to drive and am comfortable with. I never hammer on the jake immediately after a hard pull up a grade, I always watch the pyro and let it breathe and cool (even worse on my engines with aluminum pistons) I get the logic behind the programming honestly I do.

Now referring to a truck being slow to react and this is where we differ as we live in different worlds of trucking, I do not understand your world and I don't expect you to understand mine. Yes these are big slow turds at 80K and at 120K+ which I do fairly often down single lane dirt road 8-10% grades 2 seconds without a jake a lot can happen, a lot can happen in that 2 seconds when someone pulls out in front of you even at 80K on the highway. Again I get the programming side and I will likely have to get used to some of a delay but all I am trying to do is get it to respond in a way I am used to and comfortable with. If that makes me a cowboy (guilty I haul cows on occasion too) or a hillbilly (guilty as well) then so be it I accept that, nothing about ego and if it shortens the life somewhat then it is what it is that's part of the application although dirt roads and heavy haul and quarry work do their fair share of that and believe me I understand the harder you are on things and the heavier your foot the more time you spend greasy....

Again thank you for the site, info, youtube vids and everything you do to help us. Not many would take the time to do so and as you have mentioned most that do have knowledge don't want to share it and play the holier than thou card. We might have a difference of opinions on things but I am here to try and learn what I need to keep an ISX on the road making me money.
replyreply
I like your lengthy response. Thanks for that. Well repsected --- You must know though that there are a lot of cow-boy types in trucking these days hell bent on what I had mentioned. I tend to try to weed them out fast on here, "knock some sense" to those types of drivers these days who are quick to buy an old truck and turn it up,.. only for them to cry about it later.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-02-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  I like your lengthy response. Thanks for that. Well repsected --- You must know though that there are a lot of cow-boy types in trucking these days hell bent on what I had mentioned. I tend to try to weed them out fast on here, "knock some sense" to those types of drivers these days who are quick to buy an old truck and turn it up,.. only for them to cry about it later.

Absolutely agree 100%,.. much like the "rolling coal" diesel pickup trend :dodgy: . Thanks again for the info so far and I am sure I will have a few more questions when I get up close and personal with this or whatever ISX I end up with.
replyreply
04-19-2017, (Subject: CM870 ) 
(01-01-2017 )05ISX450 Wrote:  I also have a CM870, do yourself a favor, and have Gearhead go through the motor, including an overhead adjustment, I would also put on a new crank damper. It is recommended at 500K. I used a Vibratech on mine. My 870 has never run better thanks to Gearhead. Good luck.
How do I reach Gearhead? Thanks
replyreply
04-19-2017, (Subject: CM870 ) 
I own 5 870's and one 871. They are very reliable trouble free engines once you learn and go through them. For your miles you where you run, replace the sensors and take the EGR off. You will never have trouble. Those sensors RARELY fail. I am rebuilding a 1.4 million mile truck right now(870) and replacing every sensor (7 I believe-8 if you count the low water sensor) Every one is original and I think I'm less than 500$ changing all of them. I'd have to checkl my list, I'm 22,000$ in total.

Also you could contact Unilevers on here. Guy is an absolute genius. Has helped me tremendously.
replyreply
03-01-2020, (Subject: CM870 ) 
(01-01-2017 )JLDees Wrote:  Greetings all,

New to the site I am currently in the process of upgrading trucks, Looking at an 07 W900L with a CM870 with 750K on the clock, in the photos it looks like it has the factory egr cooler and the turbo looks like its been replaced. No history on the engine, salesman says "all original" Now what I have in my mind is I plan to replace the EGR Cooler, Belt Tensioners, Water Pump, Fan Hub (Unless feels smooth) and an EGR tuneup/cleanup. There are some differences in the videos of Rawze's cm871 Tuneup series on youtube, this one has the swelled down venture with the EGR hose in front of the compressor intake (worries me if its pumped soot in the air tanks) and the intake elbow looks like it has 2 sensors I'm assuming Delta T/P and IMAP but they look different than the later cm871s (Images attached). I plan on asking if they will do oil samples, but if its had a recent PM that might not show what I need to know, If not ill pull the valve cover in person to look at the cams, rollers rockers etc. and see how clean it is.

Option 2 is an 08 W900L similar spec same miles with a cm871 that has been "mandate'd" with the same miles that is being sold by the owner but I haven't got ahold of him yet. I am leaning towards the 07 for the specs, and closer to go get.

Application for the truck, It is replacing my 79 Extended Hood W900A with a late B model ATAAC 3406B which I hate to see go as it runs like a clock and has never let me down, The truck however at 38 years old the air and electrical systems are wearing my patience. I only turn 20-30k miles per year doing various things, I pull my demo end dump and belly dump for a local quarry, Heavy Haul (my own equipment for dirt work business) and my own products Log Home Kits, Rough Lumber etc. I Live at 9000ft elevation and make frequent pulls and descents on our 16 mile 6% grade along with several other hard pulls throughout Colorado and NM

Main questions are the sensors on the cm870 mentioned above and if anyone has a similar setup and if there is a pipe within the venture for the compressor to keep it from sucking soot. And what other sensors on the cm870 would I be smart to carry? Thanks in advance

Josh

so there is no imap sensor on it
replyreply
03-01-2020, (Subject: CM870 ) 
(03-01-2020 )cummins379 Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 )JLDees Wrote:  ... a CM870 with

so there is no imap sensor on it

just some FYI:
No, there is not a single IMAP sensor on the CM870 engine, but there is however an intake pressure sensor and an intake temp sensor side by side on the intake manifold ... essentially an older style of the same thing. The temp sensor is pretty tough, usually lasts about 400k miles at a time before it reads incorrectly... The intake pressure sensor typically lasts about 250k (sometimes longer) or so,.. but it depends on how much soot it has eaten.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.