Cm870 upgrades
01-19-2017, (Subject: Cm870 upgrades ) 
RE: Cm870 upgrades
Well, everything went pretty well, engine really in good shape for 850k miles, some head cracks, cam bearing wear, ect. Not too much out of the normal. But number one was slightly scored up. Ant I found this. Plugged number 1 piston cooling jet. What gets me is I don't know what it is, or how it got there. I've done work/maintenance on the truck for the past 400k miles. Could it have really lasted that long plugged up?
It looks like a small piece of plastic tubing. Can't find any other remnants though

{added by Rawze}...
Using aftermarket oil filters will cause this. Here is another link discussing this problem: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid22182

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201701/post_238_1484881140_276778ae8236d28162c3d42348061bba.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
01-19-2017, (Subject: Cm870 upgrades ) 
For what it's worth I did a 870 to 871 conversation on my 2005 870, had to get 871 ECM and turbo from truck wrecker along with engine harness, also had to reposition a few wires on oem harness and a different tps senser, I feel it is a step up but it will cost a bit more to go this route, However I still think a guy can tune the 870 with the original turbo or even a wastegate and get pretty good results performance wise, I just think an 871 turbo will give a guy the edge with fuel economy and spool up, however it all comes down to the tune in the end for the most part
replyreply
01-20-2017, (Subject: Cm870 upgrades ) 
(01-19-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Well, everything went pretty well, engine really in good shape for 850k miles, some head cracks, cam bearing wear, ect. Not too much out of the normal. But number one was slightly scored up. Ant I found this. Plugged number 1 piston cooling jet. What gets me is I don't know what it is, or how it got there. I've done work/maintenance on the truck for the past 400k miles. Could it have really lasted that long plugged up?
It looks like a small piece of plastic tubing. Can't find any other remnants though

That is weird. Was the cooling jet plugged completely, or as you stated tubing, was there still some flow just reduced?
I agree that I don't think it could have lasted for 400k miles with the cooling jet completely plugged, but I don't know.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(01-19-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Well, everything went pretty well, engine really in good shape for 850k miles, some head cracks, cam bearing wear, ect. Not too much out of the normal. But number one was slightly scored up. Ant I found this. Plugged number 1 piston cooling jet. What gets me is I don't know what it is, or how it got there. I've done work/maintenance on the truck for the past 400k miles. Could it have really lasted that long plugged up?

I have seen this a few times, and it is unpredictable. Happens on cylinder 1 or 2 most of the time.

I have seen people loose an engine over it too.

=======

I am thinking it happens during an oil change? - or perhaps a seal failure somewhere? -- but where? -- It would have to be past the oil filter, but before anything like the turbo, air compressor, etc.etc. because most of those components drain back to the pan, where the oil filter would catch it instead.

It would be nice to know.

Maybe an internal seal failure in the oil filter ?

Maybe oil filter bypass valve seal failure?

It cannot be but only a couple places for a seal to fail between the oil filter and the cooling jets.

=============
{ december 2018 UPDATE:-> This is common with certain brands of oil filters, Baldwin and a couple others being one of them. Fleetguard filters had a design change to prevent just this problem. - I have seen several failed engine due to this exact problem and it is the oil filter seal that gets sucked into the engine with some brand of oil filters.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Old Driver
It looks more like a hardened o-ring than a piece of tubing I guess. Not hollow. It was passing some oil. I'd say it was at least 70% blocked
replyreply
i pop the plugs outa the back of the block to the main oil rifles on all the outa frame trucks we do. i would say 75% of them have pieces of oring stuck in the rifle/block somewhere. as for where it is coming from i cannot say for sure.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74 , fargonaz , Rawze
I looked and can't find it anywhere there, but...
I read a thread a while ago on TTR that talked about this. I can't say for 100%, but I'm pretty sure that it was Fleetgaurd filters had an update. Apparently the O-ring that was on the inside port that seperates unfiltered from filtered oil was too hard or too thick, and would sometimes cut and of course ended up in the filtered side.
I also plugged one of be posters piston cooling jets and cost him a motor.

So would it be a good idea to periodically remove and clean the piston cooling jets to prevent this?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
01-21-2017, (Subject: Cm870 upgrades ) 
(01-20-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  ...

So would it be a good idea to periodically remove and clean the piston cooling jets to prevent this?

HELL NO! --- It is way too easy to mis-align or slightly bend a cooling nozzle,.. and then you have a LOT more problems.

That is just my own opinion any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
01-22-2017, (Subject: Cm870 upgrades ) 
(01-21-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  HELL NO! --- It is way too easy to mis-align or slightly bend a cooling nozzle,.. and then you have a LOT more problems.

That is just my own opinion any ways.

That's why I asked...I thought the piston cooling jets were plastic, how could you bend one? Or is the "nozzle" portion metal? edited to add: disregard, I went back and looked at the pics in the OP and I can see the metal part of the nozzle. Ignore me, brain fart!
So any rational ideas or thoughts for "inspecting" this to potentially prevent piston failure?

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.