Xpi Injector
01-05-2017, (Subject: Xpi Injector ) 
Xpi Injector
Hello all, new here and I tried searching but didn't find anything specific to what I was trying to work with.

I have a 2010 Peterbilt with an ISX15 xpi...It popped a code the other day for the #4 injector spill valve. We don't rebuild here in our shop so we ordered up a new injector.

I pull everything apart and it's not the Cummins that I'm used to. It's a SOHC with electronic (I guess) injectors. Our shop manuals don't cover any SOHC motors as they may be a bit dated. I was able to clear the area of wiring and unscrewed the injector holder, but for the life of of me I can't get the injector free. Our other Cummins injector doesn't work with this style of injector. I tried using a heel bar on it (gently but with force) and even a pry bar but I just can't get it free.

The local Cummins shop was zero help and just wanted to give me the phone number to tech support and the mechanic on duty was busy.

I watched Rawze's injector replacement video but it's for the older style injector.

If anyone has some info on how to pop that loose I would be very appreciative. I'm getting desperate cause the boss is gonna be on my ass about it soon.

Thanks guys!
replyreply
RE: Xpi Injector
CAUTION: High Pressure Fuel systems on an ISX can SERIOUSLY INJURE AND MAME YOU!. Do not work on one AT ALL without proper instruction and procedures for bleeding off the pressure first!. -- Don't say you were not warned!.

If you don't pull out the fuel feed tube from the side of the head that mates to it, it will not come out.

BTW: If you end up replacing the injector, you MUST replace that fuel feed tube that goes with it. The fuel rail pressure is so incredibly high,.. that the design calls for The tip of the feed tube to "crush" metal to metal to make a seal, permanently deforming it. Once it is used, its chances to "crushing" to another injector properly are very low, and you will later end up with fuel rail leak-down issues and low amounts of fuel leaking into a cylinder. - to prevent this,.. simply always make it a rule to replace that feed tube as standard practice when replacing an injector or the head itself.

ALSO, make sure the rail does not leak by performing a leak-down test -- After you have had a test drive with the truck under full engine load before calling it good. Sometimes, it will pass a leak test when first installed, then fail later after bringing the engine up to temp and high cylinder compression levels.

MOST isx I have tested will not leak down at all, though cummins says 4,000 psi in one minute is acceptable. I call BS on that 4,000 psi. Most don't leak even when they are old unless there is a problem somewhere. even the one in this video that leaked slightly, developed a problem shortly after that had to be fixed.

Go to quickserv.com and register the enigne,,.. you can get all procedures and diagrams for free.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: benjiisx , schISM
I'm confused to all high hell.
A single cam and xpi. Didn't the xpi come out in the 2250? but a 2250 sohc in a 2010?

Curious what I'm missing.....

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
Thanks Rawze! I'll order up the parts in the morning and get it pulled out after making sure the pressure is relieved. I swear the outfit I work for is crap. The main shop in a neighboring state has all of this information but refuses to part with or share the knowledge.

And yes, I'm keeping my eyes open for a new job.
replyreply
01-06-2017, (Subject: Xpi Injector ) 
(01-05-2017 )Brock Wrote:  I'm confused to all high hell.
A single cam and xpi. Didn't the xpi come out in the 2250? but a 2250 sohc in a 2010?

I caught that too...unless it's a very late production model, with early production engine?
I was under the impression that all 2010's came equipped with 871's.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Relieve the pressure by loosening the fuel pump to rail line at the rail. It is machined so that it sprays the fuel away from you. Let me know if you need the torque sequence for the new injector and high pressure connector.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM
(01-05-2017 )Brock Wrote:  I'm confused to all high hell.

Many of the 2250 engines were built in 2010, but it was not until late 2011 before they started making their way into most trucks. He may have stated the engine build date instead of the year model truck. - Either case, he mentioned well enough that I could tell he most likely has a 2250.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
Please go to https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html open you a account it will give you 5 engine numbers. There is a special procedure to installing that injector the way you have to do the injector with the tube tighten at the same time. Also you will have make sure to take good pictures of all the numbers on the injector. You have to go into insite and use the number for the right calibration in the ecm.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , schISM
Engine build date shows 4/10 and truck build date is 5/10. Those numbers are from the data plates on both the engine and truck.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm heading to quikserv now.

Edit: After registering, it does show up as a cm2250. I was thrown off because it has the same type of injector. Sorry about that. I must admit that Cummins are newish to me, I've been stuck in Mack ACET hell for 10 years, ugh, French motors.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.