Starter issues
01-07-2017, (Subject: Starter issues ) 
Starter issues
Hey guys, with the snow storm coming up to the NH area today, I went down to the truck to start and move it. When I turned the key, the starter would spin but it would not engage the flywheel to turn the engine over. I'm assuming it is the starter solenoid, but I'm curious what others think. Battery voltage is good and the wiring seems ok. Also, every time I've replaced a starter in my lifetime, on a car or pickup truck, I've always replaced the complete starter. Mostly because you can only purchase a starter as a complete assembly. But after doing some searching on the forum, I guess I could replace just the solenoid itself. Any advise, tips, concerns with replacing a starter other than "Don't drop it on yourself."?

I also want to add that I knew something was going on with the starter as last week, when I would turn the key, there would be a split second delay before the starter would engage the flywheel and turn the engine over. It would turn the engine over normally. It wasn't slow or anything and it only happened a couple of times and seemed to go back to normal after a couple of days.

Truck is a 2013 Volvo w/ISX 2250 and 427k miles.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
RE: Starter issues
Sounds like the bendix is sticking may be froze up. Sometimes you can try it a few times and tap with hammer but as soon as you get it started you need to make sure you get it changed asap
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RojoPete , Billdozer2 , Hammerhead
(01-07-2017 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Sounds like the bendix is sticking may be froze up. Sometimes you can try it a few times and tap with hammer but as soon as you get it started you need to make sure you get it changed asap

Would I have to replace the starter as a complete assembly, or could I just replace the Bendix? And is the Bendix the starter solenoid?

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
(01-07-2017 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Sounds like the bendix is sticking may be froze up. Sometimes you can try it a few times and tap with hammer but as soon as you get it started you need to make sure you get it changed asap
Mr Hagg what is the Bendix is it the solenoid on the starter
replyreply
The Bendix is the mechanical starter drive that engages with the flywheel ring gear when energized. This is one of the parts that wears out and replaced when rebuilding.
The spring gets weak and doesn't fully engage.
Solenoid is just a big momentary electrical switch that energizes the starter motor.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900 , Billdozer2
I second the hammer tap. best to tap while someone is cranking at the same time.

I'd replace the entire starter.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Billdozer2 , hhow55
With the cold weather setting in, it is possible that you have a condensation or moisture issue that is freezing, preventing the bendix from engaging. The bendix is the gear/shaft/spring assembly that shoots out to engage the flywheel.
I'd start with a few hammer taps, and repeated usage of the starter in the hopes of clearing the moisture.
A little tip for those that encounter this issue unexpectedly...
This is prone to happen at times in humid environments that get cold quickly. The moisture seems to be attracted to the cold metal components creating this issue.
I had this happen to me quite a few years ago, loaded in Houston when it was very muggy. A cold front was moving down from the north and I headed north. Next morning this exact issue happened to me. Whacked the starter a few times, and never did replace that starter. Sold the truck 8 months later with it still working fine.

If that doesn't do it, I'd replace the entire starter if your doing anything.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Billdozer2
I would put a new starter on, I went with a Mitsubishi. No issues, starts right up. Sure, fix the one you have... But you still have to remove and re install. Just buy a new one and be done with it. Nothing worse than being at the dock, or the security booth and have to call a tow truck. Just saying. I bought mine at FleetPride, cheaper than the OEm and a longer warranty, I want to say 3 years. It was new, not a reman. I think it was around $300
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Billdozer2 , Rawze
Sorry got busy, I would change the whole starter. Dont get stuck on the road. You have to pull the starter off if you did just replace the bendix so If you are that far then just replace the starter.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Billdozer2 , hhow55 , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.