heavy haul truck, that don't like heavy hauls!
01-09-2017, (Subject: heavy haul truck, that don't like heavy hauls! ) 
RE: heavy haul truck, that don't like heavy hauls!
Seems normal to me. I've got a aerodynamic prostar hauling tanker (shown In profile pic) 4:11 gears 18 speed 22.5 rubber and I run 65. when I had the mandate and 500 horse I averaged 4.2mpg with my loads 50% empty miles.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(01-09-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Seems normal to me. I've got a aerodynamic prostar hauling tanker (shown In profile pic) 4:11 gears 18 speed 22.5 rubber and I run 65. when I had the mandate and 500 horse I averaged 4.2mpg with my loads 50% empty miles.

How much was gained afterwards? And was there a noticeable difference in pulling power?
replyreply
Went to see mr. hagg. He said It's fine. just has crappy factory settings, and it's eating it's own poo all day. I guess I'd feel bad too! Thanks Mr. Hagg for your help!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(01-09-2017 )un_yun Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Seems normal to me. I've got a aerodynamic prostar hauling tanker (shown In profile pic) 4:11 gears 18 speed 22.5 rubber and I run 65. when I had the mandate and 500 horse I averaged 4.2mpg with my loads 50% empty miles.

How much was gained afterwards? And was there a noticeable difference in pulling power?

In the summer I was getting just shy of 5.5 but now I think I'm around the 4.5 range.

I still have a couple things to do yet which could bring these numbers up. One of which will be to change my rubber. I had a big lug continental tire in summer and switched to bandag bdr-w winter grips which have a horrible rolling resistance.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(01-09-2017 )Brock Wrote:  I still have a couple things to do yet which could bring these numbers up. One of which will be to change my rubber. I had a big lug continental tire in summer and switched to bandag bdr-w winter grips which have a horrible rolling resistance.

That's another issue that those of us who pull multi-axle trailers have as well. The additional rolling resistance, even with premium trailer tires, of the extra axles not only means fuel economy losses, it also increases the traction required by drives to overcome it. Particularly in the winter.
I run Michelin XDS2 drive tires. I don't run drives with less than 50% tread in the winter. I'd be stuck constantly if I did. This means that I end up buying tires when I have tires that still have viable tread on them. Because of this, I have two complete sets of rims, and run two complete sets of drive tires. I pull anything with over 50% tread off from mid/end March to November (snow conditions determined) and run out less than 50% tires in the summer. It means I run a less than ideal rolling resistance tire through the summer, but I can't justify turning in a 45% tread drive tire for a casing credit.
I have actually found that by doing this, it lets the rubber harden due to the heat and storage cycles and they actually last longer when they get run out in the summer. I got about 15-18 months out of drives just putting them on and running them out, and I can almost squeeze four years out of two sets. If we get an ice road season, I get an additional winter out of the >50% tread set, and that adds up big. This is the third winter on the set I have on right now.
Yes, I have a 20' storage container just for tires!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
I have thought about the winter fuel too. I know mileage suffers in the cold months, I really don't stress about mpg's doing what we do. But it always helps to kinda know where it should be. That way you can sorta tell if something is off. And this is my first ISX and I bought it used, so I didn't really know what to expect. I did expect better than a v8 mack though.
replyreply
01-10-2017, (Subject: heavy haul truck, that don't like heavy hauls! ) 
His boost was good no derates only egr calling for 50 % when in pulls would go down to 25% at times. He bought a ugly fix but it was not good for engine. He is going to come back when he has more time to get it fix properly....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
01-16-2017, (Subject: heavy haul truck, that don't like heavy hauls! ) 
So a quick update! Friday, I visited mr. Hagg and his gang. And between him and Unilever. Wow! What else can I say. I pulled a kolbelco sk350 down to savannah today. 130200 was my gross wgt. This thing pulled like a beast. And to top it off I picked up a solid 6/10 of a mpg. All I can say is thanks guys! Awesome job!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , PuroCumminsPower , fargonaz , Waterloo , Running rough

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.