Counter-bore tools and parts...
01-20-2017, (Subject: Counter-bore tools and parts... ) 
RE: Counter-bore tools and parts...
(01-19-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Why is it when on an air impact wrench, it will run out of torque with an extension, take the extension off and it turns the bot/nut more?

because the slop in the components weakens the impact force, and is wasted as increased reflected vibration.

An impact gun strikes a hammer against the components,.. it does NOT apply a high volume of steady torque. -- Potatoes and oranges.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rig Wrench , fargonaz , 389driver , snailexpress , Nostalgic , dhirocz
01-20-2017, (Subject: Counter-bore tools and parts... ) 
RE: Counter-bore tools and parts...
(01-20-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-19-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  Why is it when on an air impact wrench, it will run out of torque with an extension, take the extension off and it turns the bot/nut more?

because the slop in the components weakens the impact force, and is wasted as increased reflected vibration.

An impact gun strikes a hammer against the components,.. it does NOT apply a high volume of steady torque. -- Potatoes and oranges.

This is exactly true. For an impact wrench to be effective, there needs to be little to no slop between the anvil and socket. Every time you add a component (like an extension) you increase the slop between the fastener being tightened and the anvil of the impact wrench.

This can be proved simply by comparing the use of different sockets. Using a 12 point thin wall socket on an impact wrench will lessen it's effectiveness vs. a 6 point impact socket. The 12 point thin wall socket will "give" more on the fastener and thus diminishing the forces being transferred to it.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.