CM871 NO START
01-18-2017, (Subject: CM871 NO START ) 
CM871 NO START
Some guy pull in front of my shop to check the CEL , now the truck no start , he said that he was hwving problem starting it . He spray starting fluid and it starts. We got fuel priming when i start cranking the fuel pressure insite shows no more than 50 psi .and now it dont wana start even when we spray starting fluid . Already cheCk everything. not sure what els to check.
replyreply
01-19-2017, (Subject: CM871 NO START ) 
RE: CM871 NO START
Remove the fuel return line from the IFMS.
Run a hose from the return port into a bucket.
Turn key on (not cranking) and verify lift pump is supplying fuel, it should run out the hose into the bucket.
If no, then it's either; electric lift pump, fuel filter, or fuel supply line issue.
If yes, then according to Insite your reading of ~50psi is too low, probably the high pressure injector pump. Its also possible that the fuel shut off solenoid has gone bad. It is the little block between the front and rear timing actuators on the IFMS.
There is a thread about removing it, removing the guts and reinstalling it (don't reconnect the power lead if you do this)...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(01-19-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Remove the fuel return line from the IFMS.
Run a hose from the return port into a bucket.
Turn key on (not cranking) and verify lift pump is supplying fuel, it should run out the hose into the bucket.
If no, then it's either; electric lift pump, fuel filter, or fuel supply line issue.
If yes, then according to Insite your reading of ~50psi is too low, probably the high pressure injector pump. Its also possible that the fuel shut off solenoid has gone bad. It is the little block between the front and rear timing actuators on the IFMS.
There is a thread about removing it, removing the guts and reinstalling it (don't reconnect the power lead if you do this)...
I HAVE DONE ALL THIS
LIFT PUMP PRIMING GOOD 17 PSI NOT CRANKING FUEL EVERYWHERE, PUT NEW SHUT OFF VALVE, GEAR PUMP ,ECM,POWER TO SHUT OFF VALVE, NO LEAKS NO WHERE. I HAVE NOT TRY FUEL SELENOIDS . BUT I DONT THINK THEY ALL GO BAD AT THE SAME TIME. THE TRUCK DROVE TO MY SHOP I SHUT IT OFF AND START IT RITE THERE BUT THAN I SHUT IT OFF AGAIN FOR 20MIN AND IT DID NOT START NO MORE NOT EVEN TRY TO FIRE EVEN LITTLE
replyreply
(01-19-2017 )Serega Wrote:  ...
,POWER TO SHUT OFF VALVE

I hope you disconnected the wire first, and did not put power to shut off valve while ECM was connected to it. This can make permanent damage to inside of ECM and make it not run. I have seen people damage their ecm by trying this.

============

you should be getting 120+ psi while cranking. If you aren't getting it, then you have a problem with either one of the pumps, a restriction, or one of the pressure relief valves is hung open.

50 psi is way too low. read this thread for more info...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...23#pid8423

====
Also, it may be power related. You may be barking up the wrong tree all together. Here is some related info.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...05#pid3505

===========

Lastly, ISX has engine re-start limiters that will only allow so many times to crank engine up if there are certian faults, especially related to emissions system. You said you changed ECM, so this is not likely the case for you. Just mentioning it for others.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-19-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-19-2017 )Serega Wrote:  ...
,POWER TO SHUT OFF VALVE

I hope you disconnected the wire first, and did not put power to shut off valve while ECM was connected to it. This can make permanent damage to inside of ECM and make it not run. I have seen people damage their ecm by trying this.

============

you should be getting 120+ psi while cranking. If you aren't getting it, then you have a problem with either one of the pumps, a restriction, or one of the pressure relief valves is hung open.

50 psi is way too low. read this thread for more info...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...23#pid8423

====
Also, it may be power related. You may be barking up the wrong tree all together. Here is some related info.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...05#pid3505

===========

Lastly, ISX has engine re-start limiters that will only allow so many times to crank engine up if there are certian faults, especially related to emissions system. You said you changed ECM, so this is not likely the case for you. Just mentioning it for others.
Take out the return line turn the key on and got fuel running out , got pressur at injection fittings . As soon as lift pump stops no pressure. Not sure what else to think . May be check valvs. I put pump from cm870 looks same to me . May be no good ether
replyreply
GOT IT FIGURED OUT . A DAM GEAR PUMP . GOT ONOTHER ONE TO TRY . AND IT FIRED UP
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Rawze
08-08-2021, (Subject: CM871 NO START ) 
(01-19-2017 )Serega Wrote:  GOT IT FIGURED OUT . A DAM GEAR PUMP . GOT ONOTHER ONE TO TRY . AND IT FIRED UP

(putting this here for future reference) ...

Gear pumps will sometimes fail with a snapped gear-shaft and as long as the engine is running at speed, the pump keeps up because the broken shaft has enough friction against it to keep it spinning ... when shut off however, it becomes really hard to crank back up, and has lower than normal fuel pressures. This has been seen several times on the CM570,CM870,CM871 gear pumps... and it stumps a lot of mechanics. The only measurable symptom for this is simply lower than normal fuel pressures while cranking. You mentioned that it only had 50 PSI while cranking, and that is usually a dead giveaway for this.

Tags:
ISX no start, no crank, will not start, start of ether only, ISX cranking issues, startup problems

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.