My c15 rebuild
01-31-2017, (Subject: My c15 rebuild ) 
RE: My c15 rebuild
(01-30-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Front structure is off, deck is getting cleaned off. Got all my parts in.... went with the federal mogul FP diesel cylinder kits, cat everything else including head and injectors.

Here's a pic of the new piston

Went with the FP diesel cause they are new rather than reman and have a ceramic coating which I really like.

Cylinders going in today!

there not ceramic coated , there phosphate and grafal coated , reduses friction , if memory serves me right mahal has been a oem pistion manufacture for cat cummins jd an others , that is there monanotherm one piece forged steel pistion , why they ever tryed a 2 piece pistion is beyond me .
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(01-31-2017 )RPM1 Wrote:  i have never rebuilt a engine yet wear i did not use plastigadge on crank and rods , feeler gauge or diel indicator on end play on crank measure and mike the pistons and bores , end gap on rings in the bores , side clearance on rings in pistons , all tedious work and probably what many would call over kill , but its my engines and i want it right and to know , peace of mind .

I have seen people who did not bother with all that, then wonder why engine had issues later.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RPM1
(01-31-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 )RPM1 Wrote:  i have never rebuilt a engine yet wear i did not use plastigadge on crank and rods , feeler gauge or diel indicator on end play on crank measure and mike the pistons and bores , end gap on rings in the bores , side clearance on rings in pistons , all tedious work and probably what many would call over kill , but its my engines and i want it right and to know , peace of mind .

I have seen people who did not bother with all that, then wonder why engine had issues later.

quality control and people do make mistakes , is up to the engine builder as the last line of Defence to catch that , i also re torque bottom end the next day and head , as a check on my self and catch that last lil bit of stretch from sitting torqued up over night . after a motor had run for a wile next day i will re check valve lash i have found when things run in and a heat cycle they will change a lil bit , and is a double check on me also , great big ole isx i dought the change is much , but for my own peace of mind , i always figure a double check is cheep ins , just like changing oil , i never let my oil changes go long
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock
(01-30-2017 )Brock Wrote:  Front structure is off, deck is getting cleaned off. Got all my parts in.... went with the federal mogul FP diesel cylinder kits, cat everything else including head and injectors.

Went with the FP diesel cause they are new rather than reman and have a ceramic coating which I really like.

I've been havin the pistons cut in my high compression engines used in more heavy haul (100k+lbs) applications, cat and cummins. Just for extra insurance. I feel it helps some with heat and cylinder pressure, helping head gaskets. Haven't had any negative effects yet....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74
(01-31-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  

I've been havin the pistons cut in my high compression engines used in more heavy haul (100k+lbs) applications, cat and cummins. Just for extra insurance. I feel it helps some with heat and cylinder pressure, helping head gaskets. Haven't had any negative effects yet....

if u are cutting your pistons to reduce compression , depending how much your taking off , u should have your whole rotating assembly re balanced , u could also just reduce your boost
cylinder presser is the key , higher compression less boost and vice versa , to a point that is
replyreply
02-01-2017, (Subject: My c15 rebuild ) 
(01-31-2017 )Starlight Wrote:  Please post the results of running the aftermarket cylinder kits. I have not been a fan so far of internals being aftermarket but maybe its just a unjustified bias.

The kit I bought wasn't a eBay kit or a unknown. The kit is FP Diesel which is owned by Federal Mogul which is a automotive Titan, they also own Fel-Pro gaskets and Champion spark plugs.

I figured at least it's a company with a active quality control department unlike Cat.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74 , Starlight , gearhead
I have heard stories of people claiming their Cat platinum kit contained resurfaced liners and cleaned up pistons. If true, Brock has got the right idea. $11,200 for a platinum kit with the only new parts being the head, rings and bearings is insane. Re-honed liners, resized rods with cleaned up pistons? How much could that cost?
replyreply
(02-01-2017 )Brock Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 )Starlight Wrote:  Please post the results of running the aftermarket cylinder kits. I have not been a fan so far of internals being aftermarket but maybe its just a unjustified bias.

The kit I bought wasn't a eBay kit or a unknown. The kit is FP Diesel which is owned by Federal Mogul which is a automotive Titan, they also own Fel-Pro gaskets and Champion spark plugs.

I figured at least it's a company with a active quality control department unlike Cat.

I am aware that FP Diesel is owned by Federal Mogul. Many moons ago the company i worked for bought engine parts from FP and a few times we had issues. Therein lies my bias. Please post feedback anyway. Also let us know what the bearing readings and clearance were on plastigauge.
replyreply
(01-31-2017 )RPM1 Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  

if u are cutting your pistons to reduce compression , depending how much your taking off , u should have your whole rotating assembly re balanced , u could also just reduce your boost
cylinder presser is the key , higher compression less boost and vice versa , to a point that is

I understand what your saying, but Cat is not con concerned with parts being balanced at all. If you have ever weighed the part in a reman kit, they are soo far out its pathetic. One benefit of cutting the pistons is that they are always closer in weight, when done they are within an ounce of each other. I've had cat pistons be 8-12 ounces off from each other out of the box. When volume is measured it can cause compression to be a point to 2 points off. I have not had these issues with cummins though. The pistons are new and generally very close.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.