Liner Height
03-02-2018, (Subject: Liner Height ) 
RE: Liner Height
Now I am wondering about my liner height. We in framed it before this was a known or discussed issue. I am using a bit of oil, more than normal. To fix this, if it is an issue on my truck, what are we looking at in regards to cost to raise the liner height?
replyreply
03-03-2018, (Subject: Liner Height ) 
(03-02-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  Now I am wondering about my liner height. We in framed it before this was a known or discussed issue. I am using a bit of oil, more than normal. To fix this, if it is an issue on my truck, what are we looking at in regards to cost to raise the liner height?

You can't raise the liners without pulling the head, it's what hold them down.
In order to raise the liners once the head is off, you need to pull the liners, which means rods & pistons. Then you remove the o-rings and clamp the liners to get the initial measurement. Then you cut each counterbore accordingly with the liner shim thickness you have to achieve your target, them you put it all back together again...so basically an inframe. If your liners are good and don't need replacing then you can get away with just a set of rings, but that's the long and short of it, it's an inframe less some of the parts.

Liner height should have zero cause of oil consumption. Low liners will be compression gasses in cooling system...as you already know.

I'm in the exact same situation as you are...it sucks, but unless you wanna rebuild your motor just for the experience, then you're doin the same thing I am, kissing the grille first thing in the morning, and reassuring her that you love her, so love me back baby!!!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , Waterloo , scottydogtruck , PuroCumminsPower
03-03-2018, (Subject: Liner Height ) 
I have the same issue with oil burn. Not bad though. Just a gallon in 15k miles. I have noticed quite a bit of oil on the outside of my compressor feed tube. Can’t believe the Cummins reman I put on during my rebuild has started pumping oil but all indications point to that. Oil at my dryer purge valve and I can smell oil burn when truck is cold. As a matter of fact if I rev her up cold it will blow a cloud of smoke. Once it is up to operating temp all is well though. No more oil smell and just a touch of smoke when I shift but it’s Fuel that causes the smoke when I shift.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
03-04-2018, (Subject: Liner Height ) 
It is making me a bit sick. Something is going on with the truck, and all I can think is the liners. Still getting air into the coolant system, not exhaust gas, just hoping it is remnants of my old Trip-Pak and the fresh install or the compressor. I'm stubborn enough to fix it, everyone tells me to sell the truck, but rates are up and freight is flying. The truck is still free and clear and actually running very good for a change. I just blew that. ;-)
replyreply
(03-03-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  I have the same issue with oil burn. Not bad though. Just a gallon in 15k miles. I have noticed quite a bit of oil on the outside of my compressor feed tube. Can’t believe the Cummins reman I put on during my rebuild has started pumping oil but all indications point to that. Oil at my dryer purge valve and I can smell oil burn when truck is cold. As a matter of fact if I rev her up cold it will blow a cloud of smoke. Once it is up to operating temp all is well though. No more oil smell and just a touch of smoke when I shift but it’s Fuel that causes the smoke when I shift.

That would make me sick. Just reading about what Cummins is doing, their total lack of QC or what sounds like, a don't give a shi#t attitude. I am getting to the point of finding an old N-14 and dropping her in. My buddy has one, just replaced a turbo, $600. How much are ours?
replyreply
(03-04-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  It is making me a bit sick. Something is going on with the truck, and all I can think is the liners. Still getting air into the coolant system, not exhaust gas, just hoping it is remnants of my old Trip-Pak and the fresh install or the compressor. I'm stubborn enough to fix it, everyone tells me to sell the truck, but rates are up and freight is flying. The truck is still free and clear and actually running very good for a change. I just blew that. ;-)

If you're getting air and not combustion gases, I'd bet of the compressor.
Here's the test for that, and you'll like this one...
Disconnect your discharge hose, I do mine at the air dryer inlet. I do mine at the air dryer because you need to install a fitting to adapt from the discharge hose (JIC) to your shop air compressor hose (NPT). So it will be a male JIC to female NPT fitting, this is an easier fitting to find than the direct off the compressor head one.
Now comes the part you'll like...
It needs to be a nice quiet afternoon. You'll need a lawnchair, a box of beer on ice, and a Montecristo Toro sized cigar!
Connect your shop air to the discharge hose and open the ball valve pressurizing the compressor. Have a seat in the lawnchair, fire up the stogie, crack a beer, and relax. Your listening for gurgling in the cooling system. Sometimes it doesn't come right away, hence the cigar and the box of beer. I literally gave up thinking my compressor was fine, I grabbed the wrenches to undo my test fitting and reconnect the discharge to dryer line, and decided to go to the washroom first...it was when I was walking past the truck, after goin to the can, to the other side to undo the test fitting when I heard it! I wasn't 100% sure I wasn't hearing things trying to force find my problem, and I had to wait another 10 minutes to hear it again! Hence the stogie, you wait to undo the test until after the fine smoke to rule it out.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Chamberpains , Toolguy
Just curious how you can tell your getting combustion gases in the coolant and not something else?
replyreply
I will give that a shot, as soon as I can safely get the truck to the house... Road is about gone out here from all of the rain and snow... Really like the cooler full of beer and a cigar. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
I have a cm2250 that broke the plastic coolant tank. Could the air compressor do that or is it my headgasket?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.