Gearing, heat dissipation, and other from high torque load applications
01-25-2017, (Subject: Gearing, heat dissipation, and other from high torque load applications ) 
Gearing, heat dissipation, and other from high torque load applications
I didn't wanna muck up or derail the SOI thread, so I started this one...
(01-24-2017 )AussieISX Wrote:  ... I have trucks running in the north of Australia pulling 167,000 kg ( 368000lbs) on 24hr operations using the same timing I suggested. Those trucks are not owner driven and have been running this tune for nearly 2.5 years without any cracked Pistons or any problems outside of normal issues.

AussieISX, I am a heavy equipment hauler here in NA, but I don't get as heavy as you've stated in this clip above.
Can you please tell me what type of gearing you guys use to move this amount of GVW?
Transmission, Auxiliary Trans, Rear Ends (single or two speed) and ratios.
I'm genuinely interested in how you get something like that moving, and keeping it moving. I assume once this is rolling, you don't stop frequently.
What kind of speeds does something like this travel?
Distances traversed?
Grades and grade lengths encountered and such?
What model of tractor?
What square dimension and fluid capacity of radiator do you use/require?

I move upwards of 85-90 tonnes (yes metric, I'm Canadian) 2500-4000kms across varying terrain. As much as 12% grades, 6-8 is more typical, but I occasionally see up to 18% in mines, but that's it's own animal.
I'm very interested in comparing how you guys do this compared to us over here. I have friends that move way more GVW than I do, but that's usually done with multiple trucks with platform trailers. Most of them run planetary rearends.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
01-26-2017, (Subject: Gearing, heat dissipation, and other from high torque load applications ) 
RE: Gearing, heat dissipation, and other from high torque load applications
(01-25-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  I didn't wanna muck up or derail the SOI thread, so I started this one...
(01-24-2017 )AussieISX Wrote:  ... I have trucks running in the north of Australia pulling 167,000 kg ( 368000lbs) on 24hr operations using the same timing I suggested. Those trucks are not owner driven and have been running this tune for nearly 2.5 years without any cracked Pistons or any problems outside of normal issues.

AussieISX, I am a heavy equipment hauler here in NA, but I don't get as heavy as you've stated in this clip above.
Can you please tell me what type of gearing you guys use to move this amount of GVW?
Transmission, Auxiliary Trans, Rear Ends (single or two speed) and ratios.
I'm genuinely interested in how you get something like that moving, and keeping it moving. I assume once this is rolling, you don't stop frequently.
What kind of speeds does something like this travel?
Distances traversed?
Grades and grade lengths encountered and such?
What model of tractor?
What square dimension and fluid capacity of radiator do you use/require?

I move upwards of 85-90 tonnes (yes metric, I'm Canadian) 2500-4000kms across varying terrain. As much as 12% grades, 6-8 is more typical, but I occasionally see up to 18% in mines, but that's it's own animal.
I'm very interested in comparing how you guys do this compared to us over here. I have friends that move way more GVW than I do, but that's usually done with multiple trucks with platform trailers. Most of them run planetary rearends.
There are a few hundred trucks in the north west of Australia doing what is nick named Quad work , so that is 4 trailers with three axles and three axle converter dollys at 53.5 meters long and I think there are now approvals for 60 m on certain routes. The trucks vary in make and configurations. 700-770 HP Volvos , cummins powered kenworths and western stars .
The most successful are the American driveline trucks . Most run a 22 series roadranger , 18 speed double over drive 0.73:1 .Most have either 4.56 or 4.89 diffs . Some are tri axle rear with the third axle being lazy - not driven and only to carry more weight. The western stars and T908-909 kenworths hold around 65-70 litres of coolant. The trucks run a route of around 300km one way and returning loaded and are speed limited to 90 km/h . 22.5 11r drive tyres and 365/65/22.5 steers . Some run external coolers on the rear ends and gearbox.
The steepest grade they climb is probably around 8%
There is a lot of problems with cracked heads on the cummins powered trucks . I have a tune in a 871 converted to he600wg turbo that does very well on fuel and reliability compared with the stock or demandated 871's
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Texasdude74 , hhow55 , fargonaz , gatow900
01-27-2017, (Subject: Gearing, heat dissipation, and other from high torque load applications ) 
RE: Gearing, heat dissipation, and other from high torque load applications
Thanks for the info.
Wow, I would have thought with your guys' climate the rads would be larger. That is the same capacity as my KW T800 wide hood (1770 sq/in - 11,420 sq/cm).

Where do they mount the external coolers for the gear boxes?
I have considered doing this as well. If you could, can you share a picture?
Gearing was right what I'd expected, with that high of ratios I imagine they get rather warm.

Are you guys also running liquid cooled transmissions?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.