Dial type torque wrench, sorry I'm dense
01-31-2017, (Subject: Dial type torque wrench, sorry I'm dense ) 
RE: Dial type torque wrench, sorry I'm dense
(01-31-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 )Starlight Wrote:  Rawze, you really know how to put something into words. I understand your line of thinking on this issue. I see it the same way. I never do this to mask problems or to save a guy money by not repairing a already bad or failing component. Its just that with my observations and experience I find this to work well. Lots of forethought went into me starting this practice. It does run higher crush pressures but running what amounts to less than 1 ft lb on the injector train has not yet shown any adverse effects on how it runs or on hard parts. I have engines running 5 years already and still going strong. Overhead sets have shown they stayed at torque longer, after 3 years since initial set they were still at 77-78 in lbs.

Maybe some measure of stress at crush point is in order? - at factory, and the new setting? - comparing them?

or maybe a crush-point stress measure test that can reveal when one is weak?

And/or perhaps measure the amount of distance further in the set screw has become with the new torque?

In any event, that, and a somewhat accurate measure of timing offset that has been altered needs to be figured out I would think before I would go around recommending it to others. That way people at least know what they are doing to their engine. I am just stubborn that way because I own a truck too, and don't need to create any new foreseen problem out of solving an old one. Remember, some people push their injection mapping to its very outer allowable limits in the name of max fuel economy. An advance of unknown quantity on top of this just might do someone's engine in.

I'm interested in figuring out how we could go about finding out the crush point stress. Anyone have any ideas on how this could be done. The distance the set screw travels would be minute as its less than 1 ft lb on an already tight injector train.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dial type torque wrench, sorry I'm dense - Starlight - 01-31-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.