Coolant leak from block heater hole
02-01-2017, (Subject: Coolant leak from block heater hole ) 
Coolant leak from block heater hole
Hey guys, I've had a really small coolant leak coming from where the block heater goes on the passenger side of the engine for awhile. It only leaks when it gets real cold out. During the summer months, it's completely dry. BTW, I have a 2250 in a 2013 Volvo. I do not have a block heater installed. There is just a small plate there. I've heard from a couple different mechanics that this leak is pretty common and they have told me that if I go ahead and replace the o-ring, there is a good chance that it will continue to leak anyways. Has anyone else seen this and what have you done about it? Has anyone replaced the o-ring and had good results?

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
RE: Coolant leak from block heater hole
If it were me, I think I'd replace the o-ring and put a real thin coating of sealant on the plate as well. I've seen them re-gasketed before.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Billdozer2
(02-01-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  If it were me, I think I'd replace the o-ring and put a real thin coating of sealant on the plate as well. I've seen them re-gasketed before.

That is exactly what I was thinking about doing. Just curious if anyone else has had good results from it.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
If you arent planning on fitting a block heater then by all means seal it up.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.