condensation ?
02-05-2017, (Subject: condensation ? ) 
RE: condensation ?
i am not counting out that there is not a problem, I am just stating my experience with these engines, with egr dpf scr still intact they will produce a bit of white grease and some moisture on the oil filler cap that is my experience even with a brand new moter right from the factory, it seems to burn off though when engine is working, when I @m*m^2 my cm2250 and drilled a small hole in the blowby filter NOT THE COVER IT IS IN, it quit producing the crap, keep in mind do not drill out the filter with the mandate intact it could throw a fault code
replyreply
02-06-2017, (Subject: condensation ? ) 
I just replaced my crankcase filter a couple of weeks ago. It through a check engine light for crankcase pressure too high. Never been changed. I went 430,000 miles with it. (Before you hate, I know I went too long and I am stupid.) Anyway, I opened the breather cover and it was a little white on the inside. I freaked and talked to my friend who is a mechanic. I have known him for almost 15 years. He told me that he has seen that before and that the breather filter gets a lot of condensation build-up. It may look like an EGR cooler, head, liner, whatever. But he said, most of the time for him, it's condensation. Especially with this warm/cold winter we are having in the northeast. As long as I am not using any coolant, which I am not, I should be fine.

Please note that the above experience is my own. Just stating what I have been told.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
(02-06-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  I just replaced my crankcase filter a couple of weeks ago. It through a check engine light for crankcase pressure too high. Never been changed. I went 430,000 miles with it. (Before you hate, I know I went too long and I am stupid.) Anyway, I opened the breather cover and it was a little white on the inside. I freaked and talked to my friend who is a mechanic. I have known him for almost 15 years. He told me that he has seen that before and that the breather filter gets a lot of condensation build-up. It may look like an EGR cooler, head, liner, whatever. But he said, most of the time for him, it's condensation. Especially with this warm/cold winter we are having in the northeast. As long as I am not using any coolant, which I am not, I should be fine.

Please note that the above experience is my own. Just stating what I have been told.
Like rawze said the lab will know if you send them the gunk from under oil fill cap. Sometimes if small amounts lab may not pick up on it in the oil. The oil running hotter than the boiling point of antifreeze at atmospheric pressure boils it away causing the gunk under the fill cap. You can hardly never find it on dip stick it would take several gallons to see on the stick. The only way to find out is the lab or drop the oil pan and put some pressure on it for several hours some times overnight to find a drip.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar
I see milky oil on my cap after driving in heavy rain. Also be careful washing you truck. I have a 2250 in a t660 kW. I believe there is issues with the air intake in my mind. I have done overnight pressure tests. Created several and found external leaks in the process. Also we have had large temp changes and I idle alot. My pressure tester came from Smyth auto for a little over 100 bucks it has adapters to fit the plastic resovior both filler and pressure relief. Anyhow get a tester so you can sleep.
replyreply
Speaking of condensation, have you changed your Air Dryer Cartridge lately? I just did mine the other day, less than a year old and it was a mess. I will be doing this twice a year from now on.
replyreply
11-14-2018, (Subject: condensation ? ) 
cooling before fueling... oil change w/ gallon of gear lube within 2k before a long time in the local cummins for liners head def doc dot. oil change w/ gallon of gear lube within 4k miles after the shop.
is this the milky. it looks like lube. beer sounds good right about now.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
I haven't got my glasses on, but that looks like coolant to me. Did that just appear after all of that work? I hope you didn't just join club Waterloo...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
That is some condensation / moisture / coolant? issues there .. Pull your crank case filter and look inside there too. Take pictures, post em.

Whatever you got a picture of there, it is not normal.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-15-2018, (Subject: condensation ? ) 
(02-05-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  If there is excess moisture from coolant getting in, it will be its most concentrated at the very bottom of the oil pan.

At next oil change ..

Clean the drain plug very well, then wipe it down a couple times with clean engine oil. Pull the drain plug and let it go into a cup right away. Send that to a lab and ask them to look specifically for coolant intrusion.

===

You could also put a coolant pressure test kit on the coolant system then drive the truck under heavy torque load and see if pressure is building in the coolant system too rapidly.
Do we connect the pressure gauge to the fill port or the overflow port of the coolant tank? Also, if it does build up too much pressure on heavy torque load what does that tell us?

User's Signature: VOLVO VNL 780 Cummins 450HP CM871 W/13 Spd
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.