Reading Codes
03-06-2016, (Subject: Reading Codes ) 
Reading Codes
I have Insite on my laptop and the $300 adaptor, but my prefered method for reading codes is a BAFX bluetooth code reader attached to a 9 pin adaptor ($38 total). A cheap way to receive and transmit codes in English:

For $38 you could put a BAFX code reader and adaptor in each truck. This reader works with an android phone via blue tooth. Free Cummins App. called Fault Advisor. The snap shot gives all the codes for Eng., Trans., body and brakes. The snap shot can then be shared via email or text.

This is much easier to use than my lap top and insite. Amazon has both.

Mo-Co-So 1m/39" Compact 9 Pin Male Deutsch J1939 to 16 Pin J1962 OBD-II Female for GPS Trackers and Scan Tools
http://www.amazon.com/Mo-Co-So-Compact-D...JKVFRQGMC0

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices (this is the only one that works!)
http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5...BX3J3HTWCE

You will also need to go here and signup for Cummins Quickserve on your computer. https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
It's a FREE SHOP MANUAL ONLINE! Once your logged in go to SERVICE - Fault Code Search - SPN/FMI To Fault Codes.
Enter the codes from the reader here.

I have used this on a CM876 and a CM2250. Works great.

Tags:
read codes, isx fault codes, isx code reader, insite alternative, android, read fault codes

User's Signature: Slow Minded not Stupid.
replyreply
03-06-2016, (Subject: Reading Codes ) 
RE: Reading Codes
Please pardon my ignorance, but not sure how this works.
How does each piece hook up and how do you get the codes?

I had signed up for Cummins Quickserve and understand how to look up the codes.

Thanks for the help
T700
replyreply
03-07-2016, (Subject: Reading Codes ) 
(03-06-2016 )t700 Wrote:  Please pardon my ignorance, but not sure how this works.
How does each piece hook up and how do you get the codes?

I had signed up for Cummins Quickserve and understand how to look up the codes.

Thanks for the help
T700
Plug the 9 pin Adaptor into the truck (below stering wheel). Plug the BAFX reader into the Adaptor. Turn on Ignition or start the truck. Turn on bluetooth in your Android Phone or Tablet. Pair Phone to the BAFX reader. Download and open Cummins Fault Advisor. Follow instructions in Fault Advisor and then take a Snap Shot.

When I struggle with this kind of stuff, I ask my Kids or Grandkids for help. Works for me!
It's important that you use the SPN/FMI To Fault Codes search, as the codes from the reader are veh. manufacturer codes, not Cummins Codes. The SPN is the 4 digit and the FMI is the 2 digit.

replyreply
03-07-2016, (Subject: Reading Codes ) 
Screen Shot from my Android Phone

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201603/post_1372_1457353114_c8e59ab9fe79f10cb2f2b42ed3655501.png

replyreply
02-25-2017, (Subject: Reading Codes ) 
Anyone tried this with a 6 pin truck? Mine is a 2007 International with a CM870 ISX.

John
replyreply
02-25-2017, (Subject: Reading Codes ) 
(02-25-2017 )Hogleg Wrote:  Anyone tried this with a 6 pin truck? Mine is a 2007 International with a CM870 ISX.

John

I may be mistaken, but that sounds like a J1708 plug.
There should be a J1939 connector out at the engine. Maybe you can find an adapter if 1708 does not work.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.