Invoice bill
02-06-2017, (Subject: Invoice bill ) 
Invoice bill
I received this invoice for work done to my 2009 PROSTAR. I will post the invoice. I just received it today so I haven't paid it yet. I would like some opinions if this is reasonable for the work that was done or if its excessive. I hope Mr Hagg and Gearhead can comment as well since they have their own shop. Thanks in advance.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
02-06-2017, (Subject: Invoice bill ) 
RE: Invoice bill
Here is second page.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
02-07-2017, (Subject: Invoice bill ) 
I think he is a little high on the hours. It adds up real fast but an overhaul calls for about 45.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
Thanks for reply gearhead. I will try to get them to lower it down a bit. What would be more reasonable for the hours?
replyreply
Whats their hourly rate? It's either a case of a high hourly rate or too many hours on the job.
replyreply
$90 an hour is the rate.
replyreply
Why did they change all rockers and engine brake assemblies?

How do you know they actually replaced all those components?

It is unusual to replace everything like that blindly and very costly.

===

The bill says...

"removed and replaced all valve and jake rocker arms"

I have seen many shops charge for replacing

Standard practice on an aging engine is to replace only the bad ones and "clean up" the old ones, ensure they are oiling properly by cleaning out all internal passages, measure the bearing wear, etc. determine if they are still good (usually most are) and throw them back in. Replacing them all gets costly fast and is not normal to simply replace them all unless there was severe damage to all of them.

That is a red flag to me -- IF ALL OF THEM WERE IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT -- The rocker shafts would have to be that bad too!. As well, it would NOT be one lobe on the cam chewed up---IT WOULD BE ALL LOBES!

(related info -- http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...783#pid783 )

I have seen shops who "say" they replace them all, but only replace 1 or 2 bad ones, then clean up the rest. It is common practice for them to rip you off badly like this, charging you for components that you did not get.

Unless I was standing there seeing every move they made, I would want to see ALL of the old components they pulled out. There is no core-charge for the rockers OR the cam, OR the damper.

Why did they change 2 injectors? -- did they do a leak-down and find something wrong with them? -- How did they determine 2 injectors were bad? there is no mention of it in the labor description at all. -- Hell,... did they even actually change them?

===

Basic moral to all this is when you get a repair done ...

ABSOLUTELY MAKE THE TECHNICIAN PROVE something is bad before approving any repairs. Make them SHOW you the test results of a failed component and clearly document the findings the invoice FOR EACH COMPONENT!.

ALSO, TAKE PICTURES OF ALL FAILED COMPONENTS AND THEIR DAMAGE -- BEFORE AGREEING TO PAY FOR NEW ONES!! -- NEVER just take someone else's word for it at all whatsoever that something has been replaced and/or repaired, or that work you are paying for was actually done.

===

I have seen people who got invoiced for several thousands of dollars for new rockers and other components before that absolutely DID NOT GET new components at all, and this was AT AN OEM DEALERSHIP!.

--- trust no one ---... at all.. when it comes to repairs for your truck,.. and trust the OEM dealerships even LESS!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower , Kid Rock
When I was changing my cam, I found out there was a updated cam with wider lobes. I then called cummins and they told me that the rocker assemblies needed to be updated as the rollers were now wider as well.

I told them to f off and bought used crap.

Maybe that's why he did it all though.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
(02-07-2017 )Brock Wrote:  When I was changing my cam, I found out there was a updated cam with wider lobes. I then called cummins and they told me that the rocker assemblies needed to be updated as the rollers were now wider as well.

I told them to f off and bought used crap.

Maybe that's why he did it all though.

Anyone got a TSB for this?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.