Invoice bill
02-07-2017, (Subject: Invoice bill ) 
RE: Invoice bill
here it is.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  ISX15 and QSX15 Wide Valve Camshaft Lobe and Valve Rocker Lever Roller Release.pdf (Size: 81.91 KB / Downloads: 82)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Texasdude74 , gearhead , Waterloo , Hammerhead , Rawze , hhow55
(02-07-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Why did they change all rockers and engine brake assemblies?

How do you know they actually replaced all those components?

It is unusual to replace everything like that blindly and very costly.

===

The bill says...

"removed and replaced all valve and jake rocker arms"

I have seen many shops charge for replacing

Standard practice on an aging engine is to replace only the bad ones and "clean up" the old ones, ensure they are oiling properly by cleaning out all internal passages, measure the bearing wear, etc. determine if they are still good (usually most are) and throw them back in. Replacing them all gets costly fast and is not normal to simply replace them all unless there was severe damage to all of them.

That is a red flag to me -- IF ALL OF THEM WERE IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT -- The rocker shafts would have to be that bad too!. As well, it would NOT be one lobe on the cam chewed up---IT WOULD BE ALL LOBES!

(related info -- http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...783#pid783 )

I have seen shops who "say" they replace them all, but only replace 1 or 2 bad ones, then clean up the rest. It is common practice for them to rip you off badly like this, charging you for components that you did not get.

Unless I was standing there seeing every move they made, I would want to see ALL of the old components they pulled out. There is no core-charge for the rockers OR the cam, OR the damper.

Why did they change 2 injectors? -- did they do a leak-down and find something wrong with them? -- How did they determine 2 injectors were bad? there is no mention of it in the labor description at all. -- Hell,... did they even actually change them?

===

Basic moral to all this is when you get a repair done ...

ABSOLUTELY MAKE THE TECHNICIAN PROVE something is bad before approving any repairs. Make them SHOW you the test results of a failed component and clearly document the findings the invoice FOR EACH COMPONENT!.

ALSO, TAKE PICTURES OF ALL FAILED COMPONENTS AND THEIR DAMAGE -- BEFORE AGREEING TO PAY FOR NEW ONES!! -- NEVER just take someone else's word for it at all whatsoever that something has been replaced and/or repaired, or that work you are paying for was actually done.

===

I have seen people who got invoiced for several thousands of dollars for new rockers and other components before that absolutely DID NOT GET new components at all, and this was AT AN OEM DEALERSHIP!.

--- trust no one ---... at all.. when it comes to repairs for your truck,.. and trust the OEM dealerships even LESS!.
Thanks for all the responses.

Thank you Rawze for all the information.
The rockers were replaced, because of updated versions. I did see the cam that was bad and after it was taken out got a closer view. The other cam was in good shape because it was changed with rocker levers when I got truck about 250k miles ago. It was still under warranty at that time.
The reason i went in there was because of fuel in my oil. They found 2 bad injectors. When they opened it up that's when they saw the bad cam.
The truck now runs really smooth at idle, it used to have a slight miss. No more fuel in my oil. Oil pressure is back to normal. The dampner made a difference as well.
Thanks again.
replyreply
(02-07-2017 )Unilevers Wrote:  here it is.

It's great to see them finally start to address this 15+ year old camshaft issue. Better late than never I suppose. Are there any updates for the 2250/2350 as well? Since they're not immune to cam wear issues, I hope so.
replyreply
This update may be for all isx15 l it didn't specify but i think it probably is for all models.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
My in frame bill was roughly $39,000... $30,000 in parts, $9,000 labor. We did much more than just the in frame along with replacing just about everything except for the block at my local international dealer. They charged $90 an hour too at the time. That is off the top of my head, not having the bill in front of me... Took four weeks, everything replaced, transmission gone through, new clutch, etc. Easier to list what was not replaced.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
Being a repair shop myself the only thing thats off to me is the amount of hours they charged. I'd just try and find out if all those parts were actually installed. Other than that those parts prices are very good. You wouldnt get away with those prices in northern BC. I pay significantly more than that here for genuine. The argument for updating the narrow rockers to the wider ones after installing the updated cam is valid.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower , Hammerhead , Signature620 , Rawze
(02-07-2017 )Starlight Wrote:  Being a repair shop myself the only thing thats off to me is the amount of hours they charged. I'd just try and find out if all those parts were actually installed. Other than that those parts prices are very good. You wouldnt get away with those prices in northern BC. I pay significantly more than that here for genuine. The argument for updating the narrow rockers to the wider ones after installing the updated cam is valid.

Father west you go, worse you are. When I moved from stoon out to North of Edmonton I was pissed to find finning charged way more than Kramer back home. Now that finning bought Kramer, same thing.

A local head rebuilder said it was cheaper to order cat parts from Kramer in Saskatoon and have them delivered to his door then to buy at finning edmonton and pick them up.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower , Hammerhead , Starlight
Book time is just shy over 18 hours
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower , Waterloo
02-09-2017, (Subject: Invoice bill ) 
It's a tuff call depending on all the rest of the stuff.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.