2012 detroid locked up
02-14-2017, (Subject: 2012 detroid locked up ) 
RE: 2012 detroid locked up
cams and rolers look mint,
can I replace the crank an bearings only?or do I have to split the head and pull the pistons out?
Truck has little over 600k miles
replyreply
02-15-2017, (Subject: 2012 detroid locked up ) 
(02-14-2017 )sbtrucking Wrote:  cams and rolers look mint,
can I replace the crank an bearings only?or do I have to split the head and pull the pistons out?
Truck has little over 600k miles

Do you mean without pulling the motor out of the truck?
I wouldn't attempt it.

I would at the very least say you should pop the head off and remove that piston so you can confirm that rod isn't bent. It would suck badly to get it all put back together only to find out that the rod is bent and you now have to now go through all of that hassle again...and that's finding the bent rod from vibration, not creating a very large unevenly shaped inspection hole in your block and/or head.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , sbtrucking
I hate to say this but if you spun a rod bearing on a DD15 then your engine is done my friend, there is no coming back from that, once they turn they burn.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
 Thanks given by: sbtrucking
dd15 is notorious for spinning a rod bearing during an oil change process as they get old. If someone changes the oil, oil filters, and the fuel filter all at once at the same time then the engine will crank dry for just long enough to spin a bearing. A lot of oil change places make this mistake with them and then a few hundred miles down the road the engine is toast.

The Speedco right down the road from me got sued over a few destroyed detroits for this exact reason. They have since changed their procedure for oil changes on them to not replace the fuel filter until the oil has been changed and the oil pressure brought back up. Then change the fuel filter separately.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hedley , Waterloo , sbtrucking , Texasdude74
(02-15-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  dd15 is notorious for spinning a rod bearing during an oil change process as they get old. If someone changes the oil, oil filters, and the fuel filter all at once at the same time then the engine will crank dry for just long enough to spin a bearing. A lot of oil change places make this mistake with them and then a few hundred miles down the road the engine is toast.

Speedco got sued over a few destroyed detroits for this. They changed their procedure for oil changes on them to not replace the fuel filter until the oil has been changed and the oil pressure brought back up. Then change the fuel filter separately. They

Thats exactly what happened Rawze,
Our mechanic changed all the filters at same time and driver drove to Elpaso made a pitstop and engine died while idling
replyreply
(02-15-2017 )sbtrucking Wrote:  Thats exactly what happened Rawze,
Our mechanic changed all the filters at same time and driver drove to Elpaso made a pitstop and engine died while idling

Detroit, I think somewhere has info on this, so if the shop did not follow proper procedures then they could be at fault. That is how speedco got sued.

Find those procedures and you may have something there to show them their mistake so that they don't do it to other peoples trucks too.

Then again, not every shop in america that is capable of doing something as simple as changing oil should be responsible. I call it a detroit problem more than anything.m it shouldn't be there fault that the engine wears in such a way to destroy itself so easily.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
02-16-2017, (Subject: 2012 detroid locked up ) 
The problem is that the shop is ours :(
I partnered up with a friend on a yard and shop we got few months ago and we hired a mechanic so we can maintain, repair and park our own truck and trailers.
So if any one of ya'll is in Fort Worth area and needs to use a bay with tools or parking let me know
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Hammerhead , Hedley , t700 , Rawze , axe , Nilao
if it didnt spin a mean then i would like to think you could replace the crank, rod and cap that the bearing spinned on, and check the line bore, i would think the only way the block gets damaged is if u spin a main, but i could be wrong
replyreply
(02-16-2017 )sbtrucking Wrote:  So if any one of ya'll is in Fort Worth area and needs to use a bay with tools or parking let me know

I have offered this same offer to any member of this forum regarding my shop in Edmonton, AB area as well. It has been taken up a couple of times and made me quite happy to be able to help.
I have also humbly accepted this same offer from another member of this forum, and words cannot express my gratitude
Anyone openly offering access to shop space, tools, & parking is nothing short of a Grade A Human Being IMHO. Whether you or I ever have the need to take one another up on these offers, I want to thank you anyhow sbtrucking, on behalf of every member,
Thank You,
A Loyal Rawzite.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , in2trux , Hedley , t700 , sbtrucking , Rawze , mrseas , Texasdude74 , Nilao , hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.