Black residue in Fuel on tank bottom.
02-15-2017, (Subject: Black residue in Fuel on tank bottom. ) 
Black residue in Fuel on tank bottom.
Hi everyone!
Yesterday when I top of my fuel tanks, like every time, I checked with flashlight what is inside.
For first time since own this truck(4 years),I found some black liquid drops/residue on the bottom of thank.What can be this?Asphaltene,Oil???
I saw water also around those black stuff,but the water looks clear and transparent.
Below I post some pictures.Any idea ???

replyreply
RE: Black residue in Fuel on tank bottom.
I think it's bio. algae or whatever they call it.
Have seen truck struggling on fuel it came out ECM cooling passages was full of this shi#t.
You can take sample to the lab.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: mmssvv
(02-15-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  I think it's bio. algae or whatever they call it.
Have seen truck struggling on fuel it came out ECM cooling passages was full of this shi#t.
Do you know by chance what should be the flow rate on fuel, measured at the quick connector
on engine mounted filter.(cm 2350)This quick connector is getting fuel out, after the cooling plate and before filter and initiate full flow on the gear pump.
I am getting out 1 gal. for over 1 min.
Thanks for the response!
replyreply
(02-15-2017 )mmssvv Wrote:  
(02-15-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  I think it's bio. algae or whatever they call it.
Do you know by chance what should be the flow rate on fuel, measured at the quick connector
on engine mounted filter.(cm 2350)This quick connector is getting fuel out, after the cooling plate and before filter and initiate full flow on the gear pump.
I am getting out 1 gal. for over 1 min.
Thanks for the response!
No I don't know the exact numbers.
replyreply
02-16-2017, (Subject: Black residue in Fuel on tank bottom. ) 
could be aspaltiene. I am currently running treatment for it right now. It was clogging my filters.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
(02-16-2017 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  could be aspaltiene. I am currently running treatment for it right now. It was clogging my filters.
I don't know exactly nature of this crap, there is too many opinions all over in internet about diesel fuel. What I know for sure my truck fuel system was full of this after fuel from south states. AL, MS, GA, FL. It was so much the ball valve on intake side of water separator got stack open. It looks like black piece of sponge. Waiting for warmer weather to go thru fuel system. Best treatment was the one Rawze posted on old forum. Probably need to use it more often.
replyreply
(02-16-2017 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  could be aspaltiene. I am currently running treatment for it right now. It was clogging my filters.
Currently no problem with filters.This is my fourth winter with this truck an never had this before.Yes, some time the filters get plug faster and looks black,that for sure is asphaltene but never in tank in this shape.Just checked my check valve on Davco,absolutely clean.
I feel truck starving for fuel some times.
Thanks for the replay!
replyreply
(02-16-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  
I don't know exactly nature of this crap, there is too many opinions all over in internet about diesel fuel. What I know for sure my truck fuel system was full of this after fuel from south states. AL, MS, GA, FL. It was so much the ball valve on intake side of water separator got stack open. It looks like black piece of sponge. Waiting for warmer weather to go thru fuel system. Best treatment was the one Rawze posted on old forum. Probably need to use it more often.
Davco valve checked,absolutely clean.Hmm, interesting.Maybe this come with the load of fuel, who knows.
replyreply
(02-16-2017 )mmssvv Wrote:  
(02-16-2017 )snailexpress Wrote:  
Davco valve checked,absolutely clean.Hmm, interesting.Maybe this come with the load of fuel, who knows.
You can try to take it out with siphon tube and look closer. Take it on kitchen paper towel and drop some Diesel power is it will dissolve or not?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.