Egr cooler leaking externally?
02-21-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
Tongue Egr cooler leaking externally?
Ok so during my prettily this morning I notice a small puddle of coolant at the rear of my engine. I traced its path back along the block to the egr cooler. Its leaking my from behind the egr cooler and running down right behind one oft he egr coolervmounting bolts which resides just in front of the oil filter. Is it possible to have a leak externally or do I need to do more searching? Also can I put my modified zero pressure cap on to finish this morning nth off to get home?
replyreply
02-22-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
RE: Egr cooler leaking externally?
As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. In the picture you can see it has been leaking from the area of that bolt. I have looked from one end of engine to the other and was unable to find any leaks so I think I'm going to be replacing an egr cooler soon.

replyreply
02-22-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
yup, egr coolers do leak externally like that sometimes.

I would replace it, new one is about $1800 or so. If your truck is de-mandated then go with cheapest you cvan find, but if your truck still have functioning EGR, then only go with OEM. After-market EGR coolers are notorious for allowing excess temps get into the intake and causing engine damage.

either case, make sure you replace the bushings at the ends if it and o-rings. Make sure you also clean the inside of the pipes where those adapters go or it will leak from those joints. - i have seen dealers and shops not do this and have to re-do the whole thing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nilao
02-23-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
Thanks Rawze. Got one being shipped to my house. Going to take it in to my local weld shop and have it modified. Running without any pressure in the radiator has slowed it down considerably. I'll never understand why these things break right after you leave from home time. Had it did this right before I went home I'd have yanked it off right away. But no, it waits till I'm 3000 miles away lol. Damn you Murphy.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , overshot
02-28-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
My new cooler has arrived. Isn't it pretty.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900
03-07-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
Update, replaced all the seals along with a new egr cooler and it's still leaking from the same spot. I pulled the bolt out of the cooler to see if it was leaking from behind it and it was dry. Now I have to pull the oil cooler to see if that gasket shows signs of leaks as that is the only other place it can possibly be coming from in that location. Anything I should watch for in the removal of the oil cooler?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Just follow the quickserv procedure and you should be fine. Be careful pulling it out and re-installing it, as the fins are very delicate. That is why they recommend using dowels for it so that it does not get damaged when sliding it in/out. Personally, with that many miles on it, I would replace it while it was out.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nilao
I will get some cheap bolts to cut the heads off of and make my own pins.
replyreply
03-08-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
After brushing the built up dirt off of the mating surfaces I found what appears to be a nick in the casting. I found it from following the coolant stain in the aluminum. You can see them in the picture, they look like water rings lol. I'm 100% sure the oil cooler has never been disassembled so this is either a factory imperfection or the coolant cut a groove in the housing. I'm leaning towards a factory flaw though. Will post more once I get the cooler off. I have found a NOS on eBay for $150 to replace it if it's damaged beyond repair. If it can be fixed I'll fix it. I know a guy that owns a machine shop who can do it but it'll be a matter of cost. Might be cheaper to replace it than fix it.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.