Egr cooler leaking externally?
03-14-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
RE: Egr cooler leaking externally?
My oil filter header arrived today. I'm pleased with the quality of the part even though it's used. I gave it a thorough washing out in my parts washer to make sure the was no dirt inside the passages. Will get to reassemble it tomorrow. As you can see in the picture the inside looks brand new. No corrosion at all. Has a casting date of 09/10. So it's just over a year newer than mine. I considered having the inside surfaces coated with pot-15 to prevent any corrosion in the future but with me in control of what goes into the radiator I don't think I have to worry too much.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Sergiu , gatow900
03-15-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
I would not coat it on the inside. Coating might eventually come off and give you bigger problems.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Sergiu
03-16-2017, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
Got new oil filter header plate installed and it doesn't leak but I found my turbo oil supply hose was rubbing on the egr cooler and had worn through the stainless steel braid. So I'm replacing that this morning and will be good to go.
replyreply
01-07-2018, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
I have an oil leak that appears to be coming from the front end of my oil filter base housing.( 2015 ISX 15) I have posted a youtube video. Has anyone encountered anything like this. Video at around 47 seconds in shows the best view of the leak. I've never had one of these off so curious to know if that round end has a seal. It's hidden behind the alternator bracket. Truck only has about 60K miles. Out of the scope of warranty of course.
https://youtu.be/nvkk7XYx3Pk
replyreply
(01-07-2018 )Burlyman Wrote:  I have an oil leak that appears to be coming from the front end of my oil filter base housing.( 2015 ISX 15) I have posted a youtube video. Has anyone encountered anything like this. Video at around 47 seconds in shows the best view of the leak. I've never had one of these off so curious to know if that round end has a seal. It's hidden behind the alternator bracket. Truck only has about 60K miles. Out of the scope of warranty of course.
https://youtu.be/nvkk7XYx3Pk

From the video, unless I am mistaken, it looks a lot to me like it is here...

That is the lower front corner of the oil cooler housing (shown upside down in the picture Nilao provided a while back).

Maybe someone who has had a few of them off can help better. I have never had mine off yet.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Yes, although more so from the plug on the end than the long gasket. The plug has an oring on it The bracket has to come off and if memory serves me either the water pump or one of the bolts is in the way from getting the bracket off.

Did this happen after a service or near one? When did it start? That is the main flow of raw oil from the pump to the filter. Just making sure it isn't back pressure related.

Why no warranty at only 60K? Out on time?
./uploads/201801/post_3200_1515377531_58054f7c1e171962539e36bf675f685a.png
./uploads/201801/post_3200_1515377576_e97638ef901eee38885b0dda713fcc0a.png
replyreply
01-08-2018, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
Looks to me either the o-ring in the cap is leaking or the housing is cracked. Either way it should be a warranty item presuming you still have one. I can see the oil running down from the cap area. If you do it yourself you will need a large Allen wrench. I got mine from Napa as they had one on the shelf in the back. I can not recall the size off hand. The a/c compressor and alternator has to come off to remove the accessory bracket off. That will give you the clearance you need to pull the oil thermostat cap off.

Make damn sure that area is clean enough to eat off of before you pull the plug. If any dirt gets into it it’s a straight shot to the filter/bypass valve and possibly to the oil galleys from there.

I’ve had that plate off 3 times (long story) and always cleaned the hell out of it with brake cleaner before pulling it. Even then I plugged all the galleys with shop towels to keep anything up top from falling down and bouncing into one. Yes my luck can be that bad.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , gatow900
01-10-2018, (Subject: Egr cooler leaking externally? ) 
(01-08-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  Looks to me either the o-ring in the cap is leaking or the housing is cracked. Either way it should be a warranty item presuming you still have one. I can see the oil running down from the cap area. If you do it yourself you will need a large Allen wrench. I got mine from Napa as they had one on the shelf in the back. I can not recall the size off hand. The a/c compressor and alternator has to come off to remove the accessory bracket off. That will give you the clearance you need to pull the oil thermostat cap off.

Make damn sure that area is clean enough to eat off of before you pull the plug. If any dirt gets into it it’s a straight shot to the filter/bypass valve and possibly to the oil galleys from there.

I’ve had that plate off 3 times (long story) and always cleaned the hell out of it with brake cleaner before pulling it. Even then I plugged all the galleys with shop towels to keep anything up top from falling down and bouncing into one. Yes my luck can be that bad.
It’s a 19mm Allen
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.