pre emission engine on newer truck?
02-21-2017, (Subject: pre emission engine on newer truck? ) 
pre emission engine on newer truck?
How do the gliders get away with installing older engines on new trucks?
If I want to install a series 60 detroid on 2012 freightliner is it doable legaly if I scrap calofornia from my route?
And how is the process?
Thanks inadvance for your help
replyreply
RE: pre emission engine on newer truck?
The real purpose for a glider will explain it.

My peterbilt just went through a complete engine overhaul. My transmission and rear ends are new within the year. If I rolled my truck tomorrow, the insurance company will never pay me out what I've got into it and it would be a shame to let a perfect power train go to waste.

I can buy a rolling glider and transplant my power train into the glider, essentially giving me a new truck.

This is what glider sellers are doing. The laws are different down in the states but in canada they buy old beat up iron to use for gliders.

The argument, if I have a 2002 Columbia and am going to buy a new glider, why not upgrade that Columbia to a new cascadia with all the new safety features included.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: sbtrucking
Gliders come with a wiring harness for whatever engine you wish to install. Contrary to recent popular opinion, gliders have not been made illegal. Shops are only limited to building no more than 300 per year. Which is roughly one per business day.

What you are contemplating is not a glider but a repower. Which is technically illegal but is routinely done. I know a few people who have done repowers, one of which is a 2015 Pete with a Cummins. The biggest pain in the ass on a repower is wiring and making all your gauges work. Contact Kustom trucks in Oregon and they can make you a wiring harness to install whatever engine you want.
replyreply
my 2012 is very clean how ever engine locked up, and looks like theese newer dd15's are junk, so was looking at cheaper and more reliable options.
So with repower looks like I can get in trouble?
I need to figure smthing out quick
replyreply
Put in a new crated 2012 model power plant, then delete the mandate. That seems like the best and least expensive option. You'll still have everything in place if inspected and the new custom ECM tunes are supposed to run just as clean as a mandated motor.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74 , sbtrucking
You could get in trouble in CA. The simplest thing to do would be to replace with same engine and remove mandate.
replyreply
Isn't there a law that says the truck has to meet the emissions criteria of the engine? Not necessarily the year of the truck. I'm probably wrong, but I thought I read it like that at some point
replyreply
Cascadias came with either a dd15 or an isx. If it was my truck I'd buy a isx from a wrecked cascadiavand made sure the wiring harness from the firewall up came with the engine.
replyreply
03-13-2021, (Subject: pre emission engine on newer truck? ) 
Isx swap would be easiest. Get engine and harness from the donor. Im not a s60 fan tho.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.