Turbo and other issues
02-20-2017, (Subject: Turbo and other issues ) 
Turbo and other issues
I am new to the forum. My truck is down in Griffin at Mr. Hagg's determining if it needs an inframe and it appears I need a turbo, an air compressor and it is leaking at the cam seal (can I wait on this and just keep oil levels sufficient. I have purchased all parts, discharge and supply lines related to compressor as well as a compressor.

I do need suggestions about the turbo. I am confused as to recommendations on here about which ones to go with. I have watched most of Rawze's videos and seen some of the posts on here about bigger vs smaller.

Can people just give straight forward suggestions about making the process smooth and cost efficient? I think I have a newish actuator.

I just got back an oil analysis and it was reading 120ppm on the lead. It read good on all else. I have read all the arguments about oil analysis. When this sample was taken for this analysis the truck had 588k and was showing 3k short of needing an oil change on the mileage.

This is an 05 CM870.
replyreply
RE: Turbo and other issues
Just get the turbo that your trucks meant to have. I refuse to spend big money at cummins buying a turbo so I find shops that can rebuild mine, I know most people on this forum would recommend cummins only turbos but mine was $2500cdn and is flawless.

Cam seals are just going to be a constant mess for you, I wouldn't say it has to be done this second unless it's excessive but I'd be getting it done right away.

Take your oil analysis and throw it right in the trash!..... then light it on fire! You wanna know what you should do before wasting your time on useless analysis???

Fix your fucking motor! If you have bad oil leaks, your analysis will be flawed. Do every darn test on your motor that rawze recommends and I promise you that your motor will run leaps and bounds better.

Most importantly, you are in very good hands being at Mr haggs shop. That guy knows absolutely everything that your motor would need to get running 100%, it's your call on what your budget can accommodate but if your honest with him..... he can give you sound advice.

P.s. I had my turbo rebuilt twice, once it was done wrong and that's the risk I took. Could have had a cummins reman for what I spent doing Ithe again. Every single time I have ever cheaper out, it's bit me in the ass and believe me...... with 9 trucks in 5 years, I've played this game many times before!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , in2trux , 386lover
"Just get the turbo it's meant to have" I second that. Plenty of power can be made with small turbo. Fix oil leaks they are hard on electrical harnesses, It will cause you more trouble down the road.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo , 386lover
You're in very good hands with Jerry. If he says you need a turbo, you need a turbo.
588k, chances are bearings are getting close if the engine has been under mandate but with a oil pump shim it may buy a little time. Fix the oil leak .

Inframe is best when planned but it doesn't always go that way.
If you can buy 6 months and rasie the cash and plan on the down time you will be miles ahead.
Take the time to do all the tests so you have a real good idea of where you're at.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , MountainMover

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.