Cummins ISM not reading boost correctly?
02-24-2017, (Subject: Cummins ISM not reading boost correctly? ) 
RE: Cummins ISM not reading boost correctly?
(02-24-2017 )in2trux Wrote:  There is a good amount of condensation at the egr but the Delta P should be dry.
If it is wet and hasn't been replaced, moiture isnt going to help anything.
If you haven't replaced it, I would. Next is figuring out where the excess moisture is coming from, possibly leaking egr cooler?
When you get it on insite, make a note of voltages and values of key sensors.
You might pm gearhead or Unilevers for more help or remote tuning.
I found the Ism to be very stable and reliable and is my 1st choice for class 6 or 7.

Im not loosing coolent and pressure tested the egr cooler and it had no leaks so i dont know where the moisture is coming from. I gross around 60k i would imagine this motor would be suitable for that without a problem, ive never had a cummins before i always drove a 379 with a 3406 at 525hp and that thing pulled 80k like it had a little honda behind it
replyreply
02-25-2017, (Subject: Cummins ISM not reading boost correctly? ) 
Well, I'm out of ideas except one. You need to adjust your driving style. It's just not going to pull like a big bore, Cat or Cummins. Try working it tighter, 1400- 1700 rpm, leaning toward the high side. 60 k with an Ism is like 80k with a big bore.

Ism is pushing it's limits at 60k. 30 psi of boost is as far as we take our Isx, 38 is max and is rarely pushed that far.
Whats the rest of the driveline like? 3.73 rears / 10 spd, 75 mph would be best it's going to do.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
02-26-2017, (Subject: Cummins ISM not reading boost correctly? ) 
(02-24-2017 )Mikesuburban1 Wrote:  Hi all i know you mostly talk about the isx but i figured someone on here could help me. Soo the truck is a 07 IH 7600 with ism@425hp no dpf. New turbo new egr, manifold pressure sensor, intake temp sensor, egr temp sensor. All new parts have maybe 1000 miles on them. Now the truck is sluggish my scangauge reads 31.5lbs boost but my mechanical gauge reads 35-38lbs boost but once in a while the computer will read 38lbs and the truck pulls like it should but then goes back to 31.5lbs. What can be causing this? It has a new manifold pressure sensor could it possible be a ecm problem? Any advise would be much appreciated [/size]

Sounds like it is jumping into a silent derate to me. That or maybe something wrong with programming in ECM?. Is it custom tuned?

Something has to be throwing it off.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(02-26-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-24-2017 )Mikesuburban1 Wrote:  Hi all i know you mostly talk about the isx but i figured someone on here could help me. Soo the truck is a 07 IH 7600 with ism@425hp no dpf. New turbo new egr, manifold pressure sensor, intake temp sensor, egr temp sensor. All new parts have maybe 1000 miles on them. Now the truck is sluggish my scangauge reads 31.5lbs boost but my mechanical gauge reads 35-38lbs boost but once in a while the computer will read 38lbs and the truck pulls like it should but then goes back to 31.5lbs. What can be causing this? It has a new manifold pressure sensor could it possible be a ecm problem? Any advise would be much appreciated [/size]

Sounds like it is jumping into a silent derate to me. That or maybe something wrong with programming in ECM?. Is it custom tuned?

Something has to be throwing it off.

No its not custom tuned. I just had it at my local cummins shop and they replaced the turbo and updated my ecm. I bought this truck used in july 2016 and i has been giving me problems ever since
replyreply
Could it be possible the ECM is bad?
replyreply
(02-26-2017 )Mikesuburban1 Wrote:  No its not custom tuned. I just had it at my local cummins shop and they replaced the turbo and updated my ecm. I bought this truck used in july 2016 and i has been giving me problems ever since

You said it did it since the update? -- It is possible they could have put the wrong update in it. I have seen that before. They could also have gotten a b ad address or port setting to one of the sensors too. A lot can go wrong during an update if someone is not so good at it.

It is also possible they did not calibrate the turbo properly.

===

I do not work on ISM. Maybe some of the other guys form forum can jump in that do and give some info too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(02-26-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-26-2017 )Mikesuburban1 Wrote:  No its not custom tuned. I just had it at my local cummins shop and they replaced the turbo and updated my ecm. I bought this truck used in july 2016 and i has been giving me problems ever since

You said it did it since the update? -- It is possible they could have put the wrong update in it. I have seen that before. They could also have gotten a b ad address or port setting to one of the sensors too. A lot can go wrong during an update if someone is not so good at it.

It is also possible they did not calibrate the turbo properly.

===

I do not work on ISM. Maybe some of the other guys form forum can jump in that do and give some info too.

It had the work done in October of 2016 and started having problems in January 2017. Could air in the fuel system give a problem like this ? Or is it more of a ecm thing
replyreply
Also i have not changed the delta P sensor but i dont think that could be the problem i would assume it would have a code
replyreply
Replace the Delta P sensor, that moisture you found should not be there, something is wrong. And have you pressure tested your CAC?

Another thing I would do, as I had many weird and wild electrical issues with my ProStar when I first purchased (used) and it was driving me batshit crazy... A mechanic at my local TA pointed out a bad ground when he installed a new alternator, it was all down hill from there...

Start at your battery box... Check your cables for bare wire, exposed bare copper wire, where there should be jacket covering them. Start at the battery box and follow the cabling to their ends, all of the cabling, including the grounds. I found my OEM factory cabling, with exposed copper, in one case there was ten inches of bare copper exposed to the elements! The same with the grounds, I about fell over when I saw what escaped the factory when I really inspected the undercarriage of my ProStar.

I wound up replacing over 100 feet of the stuff, it took me a couple of days and several hundreds of dollars to do this, I have never seen anything like what I found under my truck. After doing this, many of my issues went away, including the funky things my motor would do. It was driving all of my systems crazy, especially at the ECM as the power would spike and drop.

Not saying that is your issue, but it is something I would seriously consider checking out. If my truck came off the line like this, yours could have too, no matter what brand.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.