RE:CM 870 EGR TUNE UP GUIDE
03-02-2017, (Subject: RE:CM 870 EGR TUNE UP GUIDE ) 
RE: RE:CM 870 EGR TUNE UP GUIDE
(03-02-2017 )madcash2 Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 )Brock Wrote:  https://youtu.be/FhJxpyS5MpY

Here is part 1. From there you can continue to the other 5.

Hey Brock, the link above refers to CM 871 in the video

Yeah. That's what the guys have been trying to tell you, most of the same sensors are on your engine as well. Go read everyone's comments again and knowing that, they may make more sense.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: madcash2 , Rawze
06-27-2017, (Subject: RE:CM 870 EGR TUNE UP GUIDE ) 
RE:CM 870 EGR TUNE UP GUIDE
Hi All,

thanks for all the help. So i did the whole tune up cleaned out all the pipes and sensors and egr tubes etc. My fuel mileage improved drastically since i did that however after 3rd trip its started getting worse and worse and now i feel like just throwing the truck down a ravine!!

I performed an injector leak test and full over head set but still no good!

The truck idles smoothly and doesn't have any excessive black smoke when given RPM. Infact its sounds realy smooth and doesnt have any fault codes.

I have checked on insite and the trip mileage is also going down so i know its not the driver doing some sort of magic.

Please help as im not winning the ISX war...

Thanks

Wayne
replyreply
06-27-2017, (Subject: RE:CM 870 EGR TUNE UP GUIDE ) 
(06-27-2017 )madcash2 Wrote:  Hi All,

thanks for all the help. So i did the whole tune up cleaned out all the pipes and sensors and egr tubes etc. My fuel mileage improved drastically since i did that however after 3rd trip its started getting worse and worse and now i feel like just throwing the truck down a ravine!!

I performed an injector leak test and full over head set but still no good!

The truck idles smoothly and doesn't have any excessive black smoke when given RPM. Infact its sounds realy smooth and doesnt have any fault codes.

I have checked on insite and the trip mileage is also going down so i know its not the driver doing some sort of magic.

Please help as im not winning the ISX war...

Thanks

Wayne

It could be something simple as a dirty air filter. You mention black smoke, this is a sign of to much fuel or not sufficient air. I remember an owner, and one time his air filter's became wet. I would also recommend checking for algae in your fuel.
Maybe this helps

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , madcash2
06-28-2017, (Subject: RE:CM 870 EGR TUNE UP GUIDE ) 
Fire up insite and open up the data monitoring tab. There should be a listing for poor fuel mileage. I would grab a buddy (or just graph and record the drive) and go for a spin. See how all the data looks. It's possible the turbo is not closing property as it's a air pressure controlled VGT. unless I'm mistaken there are no codes if the turbo becomes stuck as the only thing monitored on it is the air supply solenoid. I believe to test the VGT nozzle ring for proper operation is as simple as taking the air line off the turbo and hitting the piston with shop air. I'm not sure the max pressure you can use on a 870. That you'll have to look up in quickserve.

You mentioned cleaning the sensors. Did you clean or replace the imap and exhaust back pressure sensors? Those should not be cleaned but replaced as the passages are too small to get the soot out without pushing some farther into the sensor.

Just a few thought I had while sitting here in a door getting unloaded.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , madcash2 , hhow55
(06-28-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Fire up insite and open up the data monitoring tab. There should be a listing for poor fuel mileage. I would grab a buddy (or just graph and record the drive) and go for a spin. See how all the data looks. It's possible the turbo is not closing property as it's a air pressure controlled VGT. unless I'm mistaken there are no codes if the turbo becomes stuck as the only thing monitored on it is the air supply solenoid. I believe to test the VGT nozzle ring for proper operation is as simple as taking the air line off the turbo and hitting the piston with shop air. I'm not sure the max pressure you can use on a 870. That you'll have to look up in quickserve.

You mentioned cleaning the sensors. Did you clean or replace the imap and exhaust back pressure sensors? Those should not be cleaned but replaced as the passages are too small to get the soot out without pushing some farther into the sensor.

Just a few thought I had while sitting here in a door getting unloaded.

Thanks for the above will give it a go.

have a look at this screen shot. https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tcffz7zero6js...w.jpg?dl=0

the engine coolant temperature during my check shows the lowest temp recorded - 17.8 how ever i from the time i start the truck its been on 50 degrees C upwards as she warmed up.

I read somewhere that when the ECM gets wrong information about coolant temp it throws more fuel into the engine to warm up???
replyreply
Bad coolant temps throw off a lot. Timing and fueling being the big 2.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: madcash2
(06-28-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Bad coolant temps throw off a lot. Timing and fueling being the big 2.

Do you know if the sensor on cm 570 and 870 are the same?
replyreply
06-30-2017, (Subject: RE:CM 870 EGR TUNE UP GUIDE ) 
from the screen shot
your egr temp and fuel temp was also -17 so looks like all three sensors showed same temp
your voltage max levels are also off normal

so looks like you have some problem with ecm or connections to ecm
replyreply
 Thanks given by: madcash2
06-30-2017, (Subject: RE:CM 870 EGR TUNE UP GUIDE ) 
(06-30-2017 )ktbtrucking Wrote:  from the screen shot
your egr temp and fuel temp was also -17 so looks like all three sensors showed same temp
your voltage max levels are also off normal

so looks like you have some problem with ecm or connections to ecm

Hi, yes i noticed this too but dont have any fault codes so im a bit lost. I will check all my connections though.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.