Valve cover
03-11-2017, (Subject: Valve cover ) 
Valve cover
2011 int'l prostar, cummins cm871 engine. Did the overhead set. Now the valve cover won't quit leaking oil. Questions- 1) Is the gasket on the cover replaceable? Should I have replaced it? 2) should I have lubed the edge of the cover before putting it back on? 3) Are the bolts on the cover tightened in a particular cross pattern? And 4) should they be torqued down and to what value? Thanks
replyreply
RE: Valve cover
I have a 2250, but i'm pretty sure the info is the same.

1. The gasket is replaceable (I replaced mine just to be safe.) Just make sure the gasket is seated properly.

2. I put a little bit of oil on the gasket before install. Cummins says use soapy water, which seems stupid.

3. I always tighten valve covers in a cross pattern, even if it doesn't specifically say so. Quickserve does say tighten in cross pattern.

4. Torque to 221 in/lbs.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: mpreiss321
Where is it leaking. I had my leak in front passenger side by the thermostat housing. The reason was I left the temp sensor wire between the cover and the head. When I take my valve cover off I just clean everything with brake cleaner and it has never leak and it the original that I know of.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
(03-11-2017 )gatow900 Wrote:  Where is it leaking. I had my leak in front passenger side by the thermostat housing. The reason was I left the temp sensor wire between the cover and the head. When I take my valve cover off I just clean everything with brake cleaner and it has never leak and it the original that I know of.

I did the same thing.
replyreply
03-12-2017, (Subject: Valve cover ) 
(03-11-2017 )mpreiss321 Wrote:  2011 int'l prostar, cummins cm871 engine. Did the overhead set. Now the valve cover won't quit leaking oil. Questions- 1) Is the gasket on the cover replaceable? Should I have replaced it? 2) should I have lubed the edge of the cover before putting it back on? 3) Are the bolts on the cover tightened in a particular cross pattern? And 4) should they be torqued down and to what value? Thanks

If you take your time with unseating the cover and the gasket, it usually will not become damaged. I have seen a few that no matter what you did, they get damaged, but it is because they have become brittle and need replacing. The gasket is replaceable on them, just get a new one and pull the old one out of the grooves of the cover.

DO NOT USE SOAPY WATER ON THE GASKET!- It will make the mating surface rust under it. A tiny bit of Vaseline would be the better solution for making it not stick.

I have had hundreds of them off and on again, old and new. - Be sure all surfaces are very clean all the way around before re-installing it, start all the bolts then wiggle it a bit, then torque them in a cross-patters of your choice. I snug all the bolts first, then tighten them to about 25 ft-lbs or so (more than the book says) and never really have issues with them. Of the hundreds I have done, I have only had to replace about 3. All 3 were pitted pretty bad and you could see/feel it before re-installing it. Performing an overhead adjustment every 200k miles or so should not require a new gasket each time if care is taken to ensure it does not get damaged.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: mpreiss321

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.