Home made APU
03-11-2017, (Subject: Home made APU ) 
Home made APU
I've put 4 of these on and so far the results are fantastic.
Honda 2000i generator with BERGS extended run tank
10 amp battery charger
Small electric space heater
Home single room stand up A/C unit
My trucks are gone for 5 days and 4 nights and have never run the extended tank out-close in the summer months(running MT to S Cal only) because the A/C really draws the juice.
I also built hydraulic pumps so I didn't need a PTO. I hate idling. I built my own catwalk too. It has chain hangers underneath on one side and a square that generator sits in with a chain to lock it.
I tried a 3000 watt but couldn't get the extra fuel tank to work reliably. My drivers love them. They hardly hear them inside the truck and they have power to run extra household things.

The A/C unit requires cutting a hole in the floor in the sleeper-

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Kid Rock , gatow900 , Vin , Rig Wrench , zero4 , hhow55 , Toolguy
RE: Home made APU
      Here is one on one of my Stinger trucks.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , gatow900 , zero4 , Toolguy
Do you think that hydro system would run a Hydropac?
replyreply
03-12-2017, (Subject: Home made APU ) 
DOT can bust you for gravity feeding fuel system. Check ebay for low pressure fuel pump. $10 and no problemo.
replyreply
What is the problem with a gravity fed system? If someone has a problem I'll enclose it and no one will see it.
As far as a hydropac I don't know I haven't operated one but I would think so. I use a 390 cc motor which is the biggest Honda makes for industrial grade small engines. I run them at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle so I would think maxed out they would run it.
replyreply
I don't have exact numbers handy now it is in regulation. Some guys have it pay. Or make enclosure

replyreply
I ran a generator for a few years. I got flack from the carrier we were leased onto from it at some point. I then inquired about such things, this was a few years back. Made a few phone calls, and got some decent answers. Not to say they were by any regulation, but got some answers any ways, so here goes ..

I was informed that all fuel storage has to be done in an approved container for that type of fuel, and that is cannot just be strapped or held by bungee. The container must be held by an enclosure that is permanently affixed to the vehicle that latches, and in such a way that it is protected and cannot release in the event of a rollover. There was also a limit to the number of gallons (I think it was 8 if I am not mistaken) as well for gasoline. Other fuels may have different max quantity.

This meant that neither the generator NOR the fuel canister that we carried could simply be strapped to the cat-walk, but had to have a permanent mount affixed with bolts and screws to the truck. i went to home-depot and got some brackets and mounted the generator and made a simple holder for the gas can.

I never had a problem or was questioned about it and believe me it was inspected many times by DOT. - I.E> -- It just looked very safe and that nothing would move during a rollover, that was the key to it I think. Make it look very safe and fire-proof, and make it a permanent mount.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Kid Rock , Toolguy
Which AC unit are you using? Could you throw up a link? Oh, looks pretty good!
replyreply
(03-12-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Which AC unit are you using? Could you throw up a link? Oh, looks pretty good!

We simply used a wal-mart A/C unit. I made a special mounting bracket out of wood that fitted it into the drivers side window for when we were parked. I used a second fan to blow the cold air into the bunk area. This worked well unless you were in el-paso in mid summer. It just could not keep up very well if it was 100+ outside but at least you didn't suffer. I thinking I could cut out the back wall of the bunk and install it there, but I never did. We got a real APU the next year instead.

Its quite funny as a lot of truckers that saw it would ask me where they could find a window A/C unit for a truck too.

A real APU is much more efficient and can keep up even in the worst heat. It is also nice to have it run at the same time as the engine so that when your romping around shippers parking-lots you don't suffer. We also put a 120-amp alternator on ours and it has saved out booties a few times when we have had power issues. Drove the truck for a week with a bad alternator once and it worked great.

Personally, with all of todays technology, there is no excuse as to why all trucks don't have a built-in separate engine for power, amenities like A/C, etc. - It is just ridiculous.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock , gatow900 , Waterloo , Oldad6150 , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.