Cummins ISC issues
03-12-2017, (Subject: Cummins ISC issues ) 
Cummins ISC issues
Hey guys -- I have recently joined the cummins family with an ISC motor...

There have been multiple issues in the last few hundred miles with a stop engine and today a check engine.

I just did a full service on the engine -- oil change, fuel filter and a parked regen at the Spartan service center. (Spartan chassis RV)

MID 128 Engine
SID 326 FMI 2

Source 0 Engine
SPN 3241 FMI 2

This is a completely stock drivetrain that has 42,000 miles.

I have been looking up and reading on the ISX here and watching some of Rawze's videos too.

I have also been reading up on M M 2 mandate but am wondering how much of it translates to the ISC.

It also is whistling pretty loudly at idle... (see video)

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
03-22-2017, (Subject: Cummins ISC issues ) 
RE: Cummins ISC issues
Here is some updates - I checked and the code says its the outlet temp sensor of the DPF.

Have others had this issue? Should I just get a new sensor or try swapping them around?
replyreply
03-23-2017, (Subject: Cummins ISC issues ) 
Hey guys,

I pulled out two of the sensors and also measured the new sensor I bought.

They both read about 300k ohms at room temp and if I them just about glowing hot they read about 250 ohms.

They all react about the same way, but the #1 sensor was a but coated with soot... and was slower reaction time until I cleaned it.

Could that cause the issue with the check engine light?

Should I just replace the sensor and not try the cleaned one?

replyreply
SPN:3241 FMI: 2 -- i get... >> Aftertreatment Exhaust Gas Temperature 1 - Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect. The aftertreatment diesel oxidation catalyst inlet temperature sensor is not changing with engine operating conditions.

The engine is saying the temp sensor is stuck in range and not changing temperatures correctly. It is either a bad sensor, or the wiring harness to it is partially shorted out and has moisture in it an d is conductive, or someone has attempted to defeat it with a resistor. -- At least that is what the fault says.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: TDInewguy
(03-23-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  SPN:3241 FMI: 2 -- i get... >> Aftertreatment Exhaust Gas Temperature 1 - Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect. The aftertreatment diesel oxidation catalyst inlet temperature sensor is not changing with engine operating conditions.

The engine is saying the temp sensor is stuck in range and not changing temperatures correctly. It is either a bad sensor, or the wiring harness to it is partially shorted out and has moisture in it an d is conductive, or someone has attempted to defeat it with a resistor. -- At least that is what the fault says.

No resistor in place...

I pulled the front and rear sensors, with the front sensor being a bit sooty.

I will swap the two to begin with and see if the fault follows the sensor or not.

Can someone help me set up my laptop with Cummins Insite? I have the Nexiq USB 2 device to read the codes.
replyreply
03-25-2017, (Subject: Cummins ISC issues ) 
I took out my IMAP sensor to clean today...

replyreply
Used a dry toothbrush.

It was not plugged, but did have some build up.

I also will be replacing the crankcase breather, as it is all dark/oily and heavy.

Any other things I should be watching for?

replyreply
Looking at the pics of the 2 sensors that are in the egr system, I would pull the tubes off the egr system and see how built up with carbon they are. Cleaning them is easy enough. Most guys used carb cleaner and rags. I used some water based super clean in the purple bottle. Soaked the tubes in it straight out of the bottle over night rinsed with water and let dry. Couldn't find and residue left by the cleaner and didn't have to scrub or try to push anything through the tubes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , TDInewguy , Waterloo
(03-25-2017 )Squish099 Wrote:  Looking at the pics of the 2 sensors that are in the egr system, I would pull the tubes off the egr system and see how built up with carbon they are. Cleaning them is easy enough. Most guys used carb cleaner and rags. I used some water based super clean in the purple bottle. Soaked the tubes in it straight out of the bottle over night rinsed with water and let dry. Couldn't find and residue left by the cleaner and didn't have to scrub or try to push anything through the tubes.

I pulled the EGR pressure differential sensor and it was reasonable... no blockage.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.