Turbo sliencer ring
04-03-2017, (Subject: Turbo sliencer ring ) 
Question Turbo sliencer ring
So browsing the interwebs I noticed in the pick up truck world removing the silencing ring seems to be a popular thing to do purely for sound. I have read some speculations about supposed mpg gains and/or losses. Now my question, has anybody experimented with this idea that can confirm or discredit the mpg change theory?
replyreply
RE: Turbo sliencer ring
(04-03-2017 )marek4792 Wrote:  So browsing the interwebs I noticed in the pick up truck world removing the silencing ring seems to be a popular thing to do purely for sound. I have read some speculations about supposed mpg gains and/or losses. Now my question, has anybody experimented with this idea that can confirm or discredit the mpg change theory?

At someone else's request, I actually did this and tested this with someone about 2 years ago on ISX with holset turbo. Fuel mileage actually dropped off a tiny bit and it made no significant increase in sound. -- It is a crock of total baloney red-neck pick-up truck butcher bulls$it if you ask me!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792 , Waterloo , Brock , hhow55
(04-03-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  I actually did this and tested this with someone about 2 years ago on ISX with holset turbo. Fuel mileage actually dropped off a tiny bit and it made no significant increase in sound. -- It is a crock of total baloney!.

That's what I thought and thinking about it seems like a good way to void warranty if the turbo should fail.
replyreply
04-04-2017, (Subject: Turbo sliencer ring ) 
I had a 04 dodge with a cummins that had the ring removed. It sounds like a jet engine getting ready to take off it was so loud when you accelerated. It was annoying, I can see were some kid would think it's cool though lol
replyreply
(04-04-2017 )race7820000 Wrote:  I had a 04 dodge with a cummins that had the ring removed. It sounds like a jet engine getting ready to take off it was so loud when you accelerated. It was annoying, I can see were some kid would think it's cool though lol

I think the design of the intake on most big trucks quietens this down. I could not really tell a significant sound difference, nor could the truck owner on the pete that we tested after it was all put back together and the hood closed.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: race7820000
Which part is the silencing ring? The shroud plate?
replyreply
It's in the inlet of the the turbo housing surrounding the turbine held in by a snap ring
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.