Cummins ISC issues
03-25-2017, (Subject: Cummins ISC issues ) 
RE: Cummins ISC issues
(03-25-2017 )TDInewguy Wrote:  
(03-25-2017 )Squish099 Wrote:  Looking at the pics of the 2 sensors that are in the egr system, I would pull the tubes off the egr system and see how built up with carbon they are. Cleaning them is easy enough. Most guys used carb cleaner and rags. I used some water based super clean in the purple bottle. Soaked the tubes in it straight out of the bottle over night rinsed with water and let dry. Couldn't find and residue left by the cleaner and didn't have to scrub or try to push anything through the tubes.

I pulled the EGR pressure differential sensor and it was reasonable... no blockage.

As the tube and egr valve build up with carbon, the less efficient the whole system works, the more carbon builds up on them. Essentially starting a snowball effect. This directly connects to how efficient the entire system and motor run. The more carbon build up in the system the worse the mpg gets. That's why on the isx Rawze recommends cleaning a minimum of once a yr. Alot of guys that have the mandate still in place are doing it more often than that. The mandate make the engine a carbon/soot building machine, think I read something like 60lbs a yr for the avg semi. That 60lbs ends up 1 of 3 places, the oil, the dpf to be burned off, or caked inside the motor..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(03-25-2017 )TDInewguy Wrote:  Used a dry toothbrush.

It was not plugged, but did have some build up.

I also will be replacing the crankcase breather, as it is all dark/oily and heavy.

Any other things I should be watching for?

That sensor is done! -- REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE!! -- YOUR NOT GOING TO CLEAN IT WITH IT THAT BAD!> The pressure part of the sensor is way up in the head of it, and from the color of it, it has NEVER BEEN REPLACED!>

DO A THOROUGH EGR TUNE-UP ON THE ENGINE AND REPLACE THE RECOMENDED SENSORS, DON'T BE A CHEAP BASt4ARD AND THINK YOU ARE SAVING MONEY BY CLEANING THEM IF THEY ARE THAT OLD! - It will only cost you fuel mileage and more problems.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(03-25-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-25-2017 )TDInewguy Wrote:  Used a dry toothbrush.

It was not plugged, but did have some build up.

I also will be replacing the crankcase breather, as it is all dark/oily and heavy.

Any other things I should be watching for?

That sensor is done! -- REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE!! -- YOUR NOT GOING TO CLEAN IT WITH IT THAT BAD!> The pressure part of the sensor is way up in the head of it, and from the color of it, it has NEVER BEEN REPLACED!>

DO A THOROUGH EGR TUNE-UP ON THE ENGINE AND REPLACE THE RECOMENDED SENSORS, DON'T BE A CHEAP BASt4ARD AND THINK YOU ARE SAVING MONEY BY CLEANING THEM IF THEY ARE THAT OLD! - It will only cost you fuel mileage and more problems.

I am not trying to be cheap, the motor only has 42,000 miles... is it physical age or miles that are the concern-- or both?

As for the EGR tune, are the sensors that need replacement listed somewhere on this forum, or on the 6 YouTube videos?

Thank you!
replyreply
(03-25-2017 )TDInewguy Wrote:  ... is it physical age or miles that are the concern-- or both?

As for the EGR tune, are the sensors that need replacement listed somewhere on this forum, or on the 6 YouTube videos?

Thank you!

Kinda both. That sensor looked 100% plugged up. The part you brushed off is only the temp sensor in the bottom. The pressure part of it (up in the head of it) typically reads incorrectly after they get that bad and there really is no good way to clean the thing and it still be accurate. Solvents typically get up into the capacitive element and change what it reads. For thr $40 or $60 bucks, just replace it.

IMAP sensor, Delta-P sensor, Exhaust gas pressure sensor, Doser injector (if it is more than 2 years old), cleaning out the piping and EGR valve, and ensuring it is operating correctly. Adjusting the overhead valves once a year (ISB/ISC), etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-26-2017, (Subject: Cummins ISC issues ) 
I checked all the documents I could find and asked the local Cummins shop - there is no doser injection on this motor - they use the engine fuel injectors on the exhaust stroke... so one less thing to worry about.

I am going to have Unilevers connect with me on Tuesday to check things out with Insite...

I'll also get the sensors -- as I want this thing running 100%.

As for the Imap - it was a bit cruddy, but not completely plugged.

Anyhow - Thank you for the feedback, and I just did watch all 6 prts of the EGR tune up on YouTube.
replyreply
A cruddy iMap is junk, replace it. That sensor is your life blood...
replyreply
Just a few photos for fun...

The engine is a bit more work to get to than your trucks are...

And another IMAP photo - ill get a new one on Monday!

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
Item A is the Delta-P sensor...

replyreply
 Thanks given by: TDInewguy
Adjusting the valves would be nice LOL.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.