Opinions on gliders
03-15-2017, (Subject: Opinions on gliders ) 
RE: Opinions on gliders
(03-15-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Everything I am hearing in regards to Cat and parts availability is not that great. The OEM Cat parts from my understanding are worn out reman junk as Cat is no longer manufacturing new parts. I hear there are some aftermarket shops making some parts, but not everything. Not to insult you, just going by what I have heard here and on the street.

I don't trust remanufactured or aftermarket parts in general. It is my honest opinion that a de-acerted, 16:1 compression 625hp Acert with a 550hp base tune is the best Diesel engine available. Strongest possible combination of block, crank, rod, piston and rod/compression ratio engine available. Every part for this setup is available brand new oem, not reman or aftermarket. These setups in a car hauler get .7-1.0 mpg better fuel mileage than ANY ISX tuned by Unilever, GearHead, Rawze and some guy named Johnny Rotten. More importantly, they don't blow up while doing it. If one does break, you can take it to any shop with no concern of them refusing to work on it. Even though they generate significantly more power and will run away and hide from a de-mandated 600/2050 2350. The ISX does have a much stronger jake brake though. Compression brakes work best, with sky high compression.

More power, increased fuel mileage, better warranty, superior reliability, much better resale value and the freedom to use any shop you wish.
All for LESS money.

Now, what will such a combo do in a light weight low drag situation? In an aero truck,in direct drive, team driven coasting out of gear more than half the time at 53 mph, never having to turn a pto or idle? I can't say, not my bag. ISX might be a more efficient engine for that.
replyreply
This truck here. 05 Pete bxs cat with hh550 program. Gets about 4.5-5.0 most of the time
Got 500k out of it with just replacing the clutch and a turbo as major repair

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201703/post_238_1489596764_4387d497125a9be1ab52b9f49cb97e4d.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74
./uploads/201703/post_238_1489597087_0f81e69e0db60bb13395fb3bc9ff7ecc.jpgSame driver, now in this 2012 isx 600/2050. Same mpg, but been apart 3 times in 400k miles. Once for ceramic plungers, once for counter bores, and once for putting oil in the coolant (long story for another thread) In all fairness, Mr Gearhead has helped its downtime greatly, and had I known about the fuel pump plungers early on, I would have addressed it, but still.... As Hammerhead said, these loads aren't soo easy to just swing another power unit under
replyreply
What is the significance of the 550 tune on the 625 Cat? Does the 550 tune have higher fuel rates? I know the 625 has different injector part # than the 475-550.
replyreply
(03-15-2017 )Bsmith106 Wrote:  What is the significance of the 550 tune on the 625 Cat? Does the 550 tune have higher fuel rates? I know the 625 has different injector part # than the 475-550.

That's pretty much it. Cat didn't want you to be able to throw a 625 tune in your 475/550. Doing so makes for a dog and crappy miles per gallon. Throwing a 550 tune in a true 625, with its' cam, turbos, injectors and compression; makes for a monster with many smiles per gallon.
replyreply
That's a very nice hag you've got there texasdude!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(03-15-2017 )Brock Wrote:  That's a very nice hag you've got there texasdude!

Oh no, not mine. I don't even know the owner of that one. It was done by Cleveland brothers in Ohio. It was finished and sat at the place that turns them into carhaulers for a few months before the owner picked it up.

I'm not a fan of the 6nz at all. They always get mediocre fuel mileage in my opinion and the Acert bottom end is much stronger. I'm in the minority it seems. Everyone raves about the almighty 6nz.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(03-15-2017 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  ...

If you must enter the communist state, I'd rather be caught out there in a glider and pay the $500-700 fine than the horror stories we all hear of people with mandate removed trucks out there. Impounded trucks, multi thousand fines, thousands in shop bills to return to stock to get the truck back etc. I doubt the accuracy of these stories, but still.

Just letting everyone know that I have not meet or hear from anyone directly that failed a sniff test with MM in their truck. Not to say they can't if they have bad injector or some other problem but usually they pass with better cleaner results after than they did with the mandate. i have heard a few stories however where guys stripped everything off or put manual turbo and manifolds (non-MM) and then wondered why they got fined.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74 , gatow900
(03-15-2017 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  ...
These setups in a car hauler get .7-1.0 mpg better fuel mileage than ANY ISX tuned by Unilever, GearHead, Rawze and some guy named Johnny terrible.

I don't agree with that statement at all. Bunch of boasting. Especially since I have only ever seen one or 2 actual car haulers up close enough to touch in my whole trucking career. Last one I looked at (Volvo car hauler) the guy was getting in the mid 7's with it pretty consistently.

I just have not seen but very very few of them up close and of the couple three i have seen, they were aero trucks and not those square nose POS's.

Matter of fact, I have never even sat in the cab of one of those full-out square nose low roof car haulers nonetheless test drove it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 386lover

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.