Opinions on gliders
03-16-2017, (Subject: Opinions on gliders ) 
RE: Opinions on gliders
I have hauled 9 of these Cat 24M graders.
They weigh 110,000 give or take 800lbbs.
Loaded 12'W x 15'4"H x 118'L grossing 183,000 give or take 1500 depending on time of year rigging.

I average around 4.5mpg if it's not crazy windy or stupid cold.
I used that picture so that you can get a good grasp of what I mean when I say the load starts 35' behind my bunk, because it does.
Believe me I understand that an open framed car hauler isn't going to average 7.5, but if ANY car hauler, bull hauler, basically anything other than this is having difficulty kicking my ass in the fuel milege department...I'd strongly suggest you're doing something wrong.
At those dims I am routed mostly 2 lane roads, which means a lot of towns to slow or stop for. It also means I am alone so I'm under no peer pressure and I run about 50-55 with them.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74 , 386lover
Bull hauler going as fast as you can get away with isx 450 with emissions got 6 mpg on ifta fillings. Not even trying to get mileage. Volvo. Flat nose low rise sleeper long frame square trailer big butchered cat hp. 4.5 mpg that's what all the real cool bull haulers want. Pretty easy to compete with that. They break even I make money. They have to stop at the chrome shop then the truck stop to buy more fuel and pump there ego. I go unload my cattle. The rancher asks we're the other guy with my cattle I say I don't know. Guess who gets the next load../uploads/201703/post_1969_1489732763_e72a022c3b35cb11068b4f513ac80414.jpg break the wind twice.
I don't know who this photo is just a example of what I'm talking about. To each there own.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(03-16-2017 )Magard Wrote:  Bull hauler going as fast as you can get away with isx 450 with emissions got 6 mpg on ifta fillings. Not even trying to get mileage. Volvo. Flat nose low rise sleeper long frame square trailer big butchered cat hp. 4.5 mpg that's what all the real cool bull haulers want. Pretty easy to compete with that. They break even I make money. They have to stop at the chrome shop then the truck stop to buy more fuel and pump there ego. I go unload my cattle. The rancher asks we're the other guy with my cattle I say I don't know. Guess who gets the next load.

I don't know why everyone bashes the flat trucks. Only reason the pete is down 2/10 is its been driving 7mph faster and had some issues the first 2 weeks of March. Prostar is mm2u custom tune and pete w c15 is unilevers tune and this week since unilevers tuned it.... the pete is .25mpg better!

Of course here's the oddball.....

My 03 Columbia 12.7 is just as good as the other 2 but it's stock yet.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74
Im I reading this correctly. This is mpg? Miles per gallon
replyreply
(03-16-2017 )Magard Wrote:  Im I reading this correctly. This is mpg? Miles per gallon
Yes. Canadian mpg (well more like rest of the planet besides usa mpg) so in us mpg I'd be 3.8 or so I think.

I haul 140,000lbs in canada on aggressive winter tires and idle about 4 hours a day.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
So basically a sloped nose without air cleaners hanging outside doesn't matter much. Aggressive tires probably kill you more than a square nose. If you pull aggressive drive tires off and run them out on the trailer than another penalty. Do you have mountains also wind in the flats. 18 wheeler bull wagon would respond way more to aerodynamics than your rig. Not really apples to apples here. I think I got side tracked what were we talking about agian. Engines for gliders? I say what ever you got because that's the whole point of a glider. Take your parts and make a new truck.
replyreply
03-17-2017, (Subject: Opinions on gliders ) 
When I put my summer tires on, I gain a full mpg. Huge difference!

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Magard
03-19-2017, (Subject: Opinions on gliders ) 
(03-17-2017 )Brock Wrote:  When I put my summer tires on, I gain a full mpg. Huge difference!

what kind of tires?
replyreply
03-19-2017, (Subject: Opinions on gliders ) 
(03-19-2017 )Cuya Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 )Brock Wrote:  When I put my summer tires on, I gain a full mpg. Huge difference!

what kind of tires?

I run Bandag BDR-W in winter and have been using Dunlop 431A for summer with great results but my Dunlop are wore out now.

This summer I'm looking to go even less rolling resistance. I do haul crude oil regionally but I'm 99% highway besides maybe a half a mile down a good grid.

Michellin X Line Energy D
Bridgestone 710 Ecopia
Goodyear 572A

Ecopia will be best for fuel mileage I think and had good tread depth but the X Line has a open shoulder design which may suit me better in rain and if that grid is muddy but lower tread depth so I'm wondering if I'll eat through those with my heavier weights.

Goodyear is only on there cause the company I'm with has a account so it's cheaper.

Also contemplated X Line Multi

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.