871 jakes and power issues
03-15-2017, (Subject: 871 jakes and power issues ) 
871 jakes and power issues
Just bought a 2011 prostar with an 871 isx. 3 trips and im averaging 3-4 mpg and my stage 3 jakes dont work and i have NO power. Took it to the shop because i dont have a 9pin connector yet. shop showed codes for the actuator but were supposedly fixed with an ecm update (i remain skeptical). The shop also says the cab computer isnt sending a signal to the ecm for the s3 jakes and that the cab computer can also limit torque but i have to take it to international to check that. i haul grain at 79-85k lbs 10 speed and 450 hp. Any suggestions? are the cab controllers known to be problematic? When starting from a stop sign on flat ground water temp gets to around 225 before i reach 65mph in what seems to be around 2 miles. i plan on buying a nexiq in the next few weeks. im out of cash at the moment between plates insurance, a ridiculous amount of fuel and well that trip to the mechanic that doesnt appear to be covered by that ex warranty. Also the mechanic said i had algae in the tank so they dumped algaecide in and replaced 2 fuel filters that have less than 2k miles on em i had no idea algae would grow in diesel
replyreply
RE: 871 jakes and power issues
Pop the top on the motor and inspect the wiring harness to the Jakes. They deteriorate and crack over time from heat. That is where I would start. When I did my in frame on mine, the harness was on its last leg, brittle and cracked. I think the harness was around $100
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nilao
The stage 3 could be in the switch itself. I know my headlight switch likes to stick in the on position sometimes. If it's a code for it sticking the all the programming in the world won't fix a mechanical failure. 225? I could see the oil getting that high but water? Man you need to fix that thing before it blows a gasket and cost you $9000 or more. Yes algae loves diesel. Especially in warm humid environments. Did the truck sit for a while or did you buy some crappy fuel? As far as the nexiq, I'd buy the Chinese knocknoff inline 5. It will do the diamond logic as well as wabco abs stuff and cummins insite. More than half the price of a nexiq. Just my opinion thoug.

Edit for an afterthought. Stage 3 jakes rely on the actuator on the turbo to be able to close the nozzle in the turbo. If your getting actuator codes then the actuator is either failing or the nozzle ring is seizing up and not closing which would give you the issue of no stage 3 engine brakes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I have a feeling theyve just updated the calibration and hoped the faults didn't instantly return. If your turbo or actuator are on the way out, no program is going to save them. It sounds to me like this engine needs a good, thorough look over by someone who knows what they're dealing with - Then when you get INSITE setup you can keep it going yourself.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , smorgan87
Algae in the tanks is from that crap bio diesel. Flying J and Pilot sell that crap mixed in the fuel. Others are starting to mix it too to lower the price. It is more or less water and will create all sorts of havoc with your fuel system. Check the pumps where you fuel, by law they are supposed to state the quality of the fuel and if it is cut with bio or some other godforsaken product. At least here in the USA. If you are in Canada, I do not know how they do that.
replyreply
(03-15-2017 )Signature620 Wrote:  I have a feeling theyve just updated the calibration and hoped the faults didn't instantly return. If your turbo or actuator are on the way out, no program is going to save them. It sounds to me like this engine needs a good, thorough look over by someone who knows what they're dealing with - Then when you get INSITE setup you can keep it going yourself.

Spot on... He also needs to do an EGR tuneup ASAP. That should help with fuel mileage, clean the soot out of the system and replace all of those sensors. When I did that to my 871, I immediately gained two MPGs. When I got rid of the mandate, I gained two more. ;-) hint hint.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , smorgan87
Almost sounds like the truck is stuck in a state of derate. How many miles on this beast and where are you? Maybe you are close to someone that can take a look at her and put a reader on her that knows more than these dealers and shops.
replyreply
From the descriptions it sounds like it may be over-boosting, but without a boost gauge you will not know.

if that is the case, you will have a destroyed engine after a while.

Like the others said, get it to someone who knows what they are doing instead of going to guess-work mechanics and stealershits who can't diagnose their way out of a paper bag.

Mr. Hag down in atlanta, Gearhead in Maryland, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hhow55
03-23-2017, (Subject: 871 jakes and power issues ) 
(03-15-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Almost sounds like the truck is stuck in a state of derate. How many miles on this beast and where are you? Maybe you are close to someone that can take a look at her and put a reader on her that knows more than these dealers and shops.

can the cab computer cause these problems? it was a thought from the shop that i take it to intl to check the cab controller, i just dont have the $ to pay intl to tinker with it for hours on end just to say they dont know whats wrong either. im in missouri run here, ks, ok, ar. hopper stuff. i do know the fueling actuators are seeping a bit. those rebuildable at home or am i stuck buying 500$ actuators?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.