Red Stop Engine Light
03-16-2017, (Subject: Red Stop Engine Light ) 
Red Stop Engine Light
Hi guys. I'm in need of some help. Maybe there is somebody out there who has experienced what I'm going through and can offer some insight for me. I have a 2010 Prostar with a Cummins ISX engine. I've been having an issue where if I'm driving with a load, as I increase my speed and get up between 50-60 mph, my yellow engine warning light comes on. As I continue to drive and increase the speed between 65-70, the red light comes on. I have to pull over and shut the truck off. Once restarted, the lights are gone. Then everything happens all over again.

I took the truck to the shop to have it scanned and I had 52 faults for the crankcase pressure sensor. I changed the sensor and the same thing keeps happening. Back in January I had these similar issues and after a scanning was done I changed the filter. This was the first time I've changed the filter since I've had the truck and it's going on 3 years. When I first put the new filter in the truck ran mostly issue free. Besides an occasional yellow light popping on then going back off by itself. I never had to stop the engine due to the red light until a couple of days ago. I checked the filter today and it looks pretty dirty again. The filter has a greyish color. Before it was closer to black.

Does anybody have any clue as to what can be happening? It has to be something related to the crankcase sensor and filter. What could be causing it to trip?? Why is the filter dirty so soon? If anyone can help with any info I'd greatly appreciate it. Btw, the truck has 719k miles.

Thanks
replyreply
RE: Red Stop Engine Light
Dpf could be plugging up, turbo could be pressurizing the crankcase through the face seal or maybe you just have excessive wear. Hard to know unless you get it to a good mechanic and away from wannabes with a laptop to tell them how to "fix" something.
replyreply
When I took the truck to the shop back in January this same problem I had some dpf work done. Nothing was clogged. I also replaced the turbo and fuel pump. This problem has been on going. The only relief I've had is when I changed that filter.
replyreply
Does it come on pretty much any time your pulling a hill?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
It happens mostly on flat grounds. I can grade a hill as long as I stay between 50-60mph. The yellow light will come on.
replyreply
(03-16-2017 )Tmaj12k Wrote:  Hi guys. I'm in need of some help. Maybe there is somebody out there who has experienced what I'm going through and can offer some insight for me. I have a 2010 Prostar with a Cummins ISX engine. I've been having an issue where if I'm driving with a load, as I increase my speed and get up between 50-60 mph, my yellow engine warning light comes on. As I continue to drive and increase the speed between 65-70, the red light comes on. I have to pull over and shut the truck off. Once restarted, the lights are gone. Then everything happens all over again.

I took the truck to the shop to have it scanned and I had 52 faults for the crankcase pressure sensor. I changed the sensor and the same thing keeps happening. Back in January I had these similar issues and after a scanning was done I changed the filter. This was the first time I've changed the filter since I've had the truck and it's going on 3 years. When I first put the new filter in the truck ran mostly issue free. Besides an occasional yellow light popping on then going back off by itself. I never had to stop the engine due to the red light until a couple of days ago. I checked the filter today and it looks pretty dirty again. The filter has a greyish color. Before it was closer to black.

Does anybody have any clue as to what can be happening? It has to be something related to the crankcase sensor and filter. What could be causing it to trip?? Why is the filter dirty so soon? If anyone can help with any info I'd greatly appreciate it. Btw, the truck has 719k miles.

Thanks

so you severely neglect your engine and expect it to run ok? crank case filter shoulb be replaced every 80k miles max on a new truck, one with wear and blow-by it is more often than that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
03-17-2017, (Subject: Red Stop Engine Light ) 
1 mechanic told me if your crankcase or coalsingfilter becomes plugged the cylinders in the engine can create a vacuum powerful enough to crack the engine block,
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(03-17-2017 )Running rough Wrote:  1 mechanic told me if your crankcase or coalsingfilter becomes plugged the cylinders in the engine can create a vacuum powerful enough to crack the engine block,
I would keep my truck far away from this mechanic.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Signature620 , Rawze , Hammerhead , scottydogtruck , simon999 , TruLine
First thing you need to do is an EGR Tuneup. Rawze has the videos on how you do this above in the video section. That is where I would start and do it yourself. Simple hand tools are all you will need, along with the sensors and possibly a new doser as they do fail. A case of Carb Cleaner too, as your motor is more than likely clogged with soot. Watch the videos.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.