Red Stop Engine Light
03-20-2017, (Subject: Red Stop Engine Light ) 
RE: Red Stop Engine Light
I really appreciate all of you guys sharing your knowledge with me. I took the truck to Cummins this morning and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'll update the situation when I find out what's going on. Keeping my fingers crossed.
replyreply
(03-20-2017 )Tmaj12k Wrote:  I really appreciate all of you guys sharing your knowledge with me. I took the truck to Cummins this morning and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'll update the situation when I find out what's going on. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sigh....
Let us know what they say..I'd bet the ranch it will be big ticket parts first.
You're setting yourself up for a very big repair bill ,not to mention $165/hr

Ask the for a printout from Insite, active and inactive codes,
and how they come to their conclusion.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(03-20-2017 )Tmaj12k Wrote:  I really appreciate all of you guys sharing your knowledge with me. I took the truck to Cummins this morning and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'll update the situation when I find out what's going on. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Enjoy your stay there, hope they supply you with some lube...

./uploads/201703/post_2_1490039269_fa99dbd4a70cbe364fd860c84b9c31b3.jpg

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: in2trux , BobsYourUncle
(03-20-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  

Enjoy your stay there, hope they supply you with some lube...

The stealership charges extra for lube and an actual dildo.. When they screwed me they used a splintered shop broom handle, and then broke it off while they were in there..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , fargonaz , in2trux , Waterloo , BobsYourUncle
Well guys. It's cost me $282 for Cummins to tell me that I have excessive blow by and an overhaul or recon engine is what they recommend. They also found some coolant and oil leaks. I'm not exactly sure as too what my next steps will be. I don't have the money to overhaul the engine now. Let alone buy a recon. I'm leaning more towards trying to do what was recommend to me. I'm even considering switching trucks. Rough day....
replyreply
(03-20-2017 )Tmaj12k Wrote:  Well guys. It's cost me $282 for Cummins to tell me that I have excessive blow by and an overhaul or recon engine is what they recommend. They also found some coolant and oil leaks. I'm not exactly sure as too what my next steps will be. I don't have the money to overhaul the engine now. Let alone buy a recon. I'm leaning more towards trying to do what was recommend to me. I'm even considering switching trucks. Rough day....

im fairly certain i posted somewhere on the old forums what to do if you have a worn out engine. let me see if i can dig it up.
replyreply
If you've had the truck for 3 years do you have any equity in it to borrow against? I got an equipment loan from my bank to overhaul mine. Cost me $440 a month to have this one financed. And DO NOT buy a recon. They have the same liner protrusion issues and will not typically run 1 million plus miles. Take it to one of our resident gurus on the forums. I can personally recommend Haggai but I've heard great things about gearhead and unilevers depending where your at. I bobtailed mine over a thousand miles to get it overhauled right rather than taking the quick and easy method. If you get that motor hand built by any of those 3 guys I mentioned it will stand the test of time.
replyreply
03-21-2017, (Subject: Red Stop Engine Light ) 
Another option is to apply for credit card with 0% for 18 - 24 months. At least you can get part of the money you need then pay it back every month. This how i did when had r=the same situation.
replyreply
04-05-2017, (Subject: Red Stop Engine Light ) 
Well guys. I followed a combo of advice given out on this thread. I got with another driver who has some mechanical experience and we did a slight EGR tune up. We removed the pipe that runs underneath the air filter box. It had some sut inside so we cleaned it out. We also removed the Imap and EGR pressure sensor. Sut was everywhere. The imap sensor was barely noticeable. We replaced it with one that had been cleaned. We cleaned the pressure sensor as best we could and put it back. Later on I watched the vid Rawze put out and learned that it's best to replace the sensor all together. It really can't be cleaned. I'll have to get back in there with a new one. Guessing I should do the same with the imap as well.

We also put a hole in the crankcase filter to let those gases and pressure escape. I could've done more but I wanted to see if there would be any difference after the cleaning. It definitely was. The truck has a bit more zip in my opinion. I've been driving the truck for 2 weeks now and I get an occasional yellow light but no red light. The yellow pops on sometimes during an upgrade with a heavy load. Before, I'd get the yellow then red light as soon as I got my speed up to and over 60 mph. It didn't matter if I was loaded or empty. I intend to remove that big intake pipe, clean it out, and put new sensors in and hopefully I can ride for a bit until I save enough for that overhaul.

The only other thing I have not done yet is add the gear lube to the oil. I've been asking around about it and people are looking at me like I'm crazy! All I can say is that the info I've gotten from you guys here seems to have had a positive outcome for me. Why stop now? I just got a pm done the other day and I'm waiting for the lube to come in the mail. I'll continue to keep you guys posted. Thanks again
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 386lover

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.