EGR cooler bad????
03-19-2017, (Subject: EGR cooler bad???? ) 
EGR cooler bad????
    Hi everyone!
I'm just driving second week on my recently purchased 2011 Prostar with ISX. Right away after I got it i did EGR tune up, pipes was clean no soot collected. Coolant pressure test system for 30 min and lose no pressure. First week my coolant temp won't go up stay around 140-150 but second week temp normalize and track start consume a lot of coolant. I'm noticed wet spot on rubber pipe(shown on the picture), then I did coolant pressure test again and found leak where EGR cooler pipe meet engine block pipe. That's hard to see from picture but there is misalignment.
Now I don't know what to do. Do I need order new EGR cooler or just alignment properly old one?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: EGR cooler bad????
First thing is to pressure test the coolant system to ensure it is not building pressure rapidly from the engine. All those leaks may be the result of bigger problems.

That junction you claim is mis-aligned has an intermediate bushing with seals. Those seals can go bad, and if someone did a poor job of replacing the EGR cooler, and didn't replace the bushings, then that could cause it to leak.

If your coolant is not getting to 185 degrees and consistently staying there then you likely have a bad thermostat. This can cause a LOT of engine problems including head gasket issues.

=====

Lastly, Condensation likes to build up in the intake pipe you say coolant is coming from. Don't mistake condensation with coolant. Find out for sure what it is, and if it is coolant, then the insides of the pipe will be soaked with it. - As well, you should NOT have any kind of leak there at all, coolant, air or otherwise. A leak in the EGR mixing pipe will lower fuel mileage just as bad as a charge air cooler leak, but only worse.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: aeIAzdLZ
(03-19-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  First thing is to pressure test the coolant system to ensure it is not building pressure rapidly from the engine. All those leaks may be the result of bigger problems.

That junction you claim is mis-aligned has an intermediate bushing with seals. Those seals can go bad, and if someone did a poor job of replacing the EGR cooler, and didn't replace the bushings, then that could cause it to leak.

If your coolant is not getting to 185 degrees and consistently staying there then you likely have a bad thermostat. This can cause a LOT of engine problems including head gasket issues.

=====

Lastly, Condensation likes to build up in the intake pipe you say coolant is coming from. Don't mistake condensation with coolant. Find out for sure what it is, and if it is coolant, then the insides of the pipe will be soaked with it. - As well, you should NOT have any kind of leak there at all, coolant, air or otherwise. A leak in the EGR mixing pipe will lower fuel mileage just as bad as a charge air cooler leak, but only worse.

I've removed clamps from that rubber pipe and black liquid come out
Tomorrow have to deliver load and after that I will try to remove cooler and check it for leaks
replyreply
Internal egr cooler leak will take out the filters quick.. Trust me I know.. Had it happen..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: aeIAzdLZ
03-20-2017, (Subject: EGR cooler bad???? ) 
(03-19-2017 )Squish099 Wrote:  Internal egr cooler leak will take out the filters quick.. Trust me I know.. Had it happen..

You mean I have to replace oil filters? What about oil?
looks like there no white milky substance in oil
replyreply
03-20-2017, (Subject: EGR cooler bad???? ) 
Not the engine filters. What he is saying is the coolant will wash away the precious metal coating of the diesel oxidation catalyst, DOC for short, and plug the DPF filter up. Think of it this way, once water or coolant mixes with the ash/soot in the dpf the high temps of the exhaust bakes it into a solid almost like concrete. The exhaust pressure has less and less area to get through in the filter till finally it literally cooks your engine from the inside. Burned pistons and injectors to start, could crack the head as well if left long enough.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , aeIAzdLZ
03-23-2017, (Subject: EGR cooler bad???? ) 
I just pic up truck from the shop and didn't have time to check DPF and DOC
have to make short trip from Fl to Atlanta and will be back on weekend to do that.
When I pic up truck they did forced regen after installing EGR Cooler.
They told my they will use OEM cooler but look little different from old one
Is any way to check EGR Cooler if it's original?
I've checked after treatment history and that shows 3.0.3.8 4.0 3.6 and last one 1.2
Can you judge by that DPF and DOC conditions?
Also truck start to make wistle sound right before shift gears up ( no sound if it's shift on lower then 1500 rpm) transmission is autoshift. Check all clamps and they looks good
replyreply
03-24-2017, (Subject: EGR cooler bad???? ) 
(03-23-2017 )aeIAzdLZ Wrote:  I just pic up truck from the shop and didn't have time to check DPF and DOC
have to make short trip from Fl to Atlanta and will be back on weekend to do that.
When I pic up truck they did forced regen after installing EGR Cooler.
They told my they will use OEM cooler but look little different from old one
Is any way to check EGR Cooler if it's original?
I've checked after treatment history and that shows 3.0.3.8 4.0 3.6 and last one 1.2
Can you judge by that DPF and DOC conditions?
Also truck start to make wistle sound right before shift gears up ( no sound if it's shift on lower then 1500 rpm) transmission is autoshift. Check all clamps and they looks good

When you pass just south of Atlanta, go say hello to Mr. Hag. He is off exit 205 on I-75. Let him take a quick look at it and get some opinions. He also is set up to pressurize the whole enigne and find those kinds of leaks. Here is his location.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...78#pid9578

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-26-2017, (Subject: EGR cooler bad???? ) 
[i]
(03-24-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  [quote='aeIAzdLZ' pid='13789' dateline='1490321253']
When you pass just south of Atlanta, go say hello to Mr. Hag. He is off exit 205 on I-75. Let him take a quick look at it and get some opinions. He also is set up to pressurize the whole enigne and find those kinds of leaks. Here is his location.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...78#pid9578

Whistle sound is dessapears and coolant temp in spec after I changed thermostat
Didn't make it to the shop, traffic in Atlanta was crazy,
but I'm often drive by that area will stop there soon
Thank you!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.