White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
03-28-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
RE: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
I'd say time for a Inframe. With that many miles I wouldn't just drop a new head on it.
replyreply
And with my turbo all apart, the exhaust side does have quite a bit of soot build on it...
And the intake side does so some oil leaking out of the shaft seal, though it's not completely covered and there was no oil pooling up at the bottom of the compressor.

replyreply
I'm going to weigh my options for a day or two....
The reasoning is because during the day when the sun is out, I can actually see that it's one cylinder blowing the smoke by the way it looks when I step on the accelerator.
It's similar to a truck doing a regen while driving down the free way... Puff, puff, puff only a bit faster.
Granted the valve seals are leaking, but that seems more like either a valve isn't closing all the way or it's a cracked piston and/or ring.

Now the reason I say I'm going to weigh my options, is because while I can afford to do an inframe and even pay someone else to do it... The one thing I won't do is pay someone else to do it because I was screwed once by a shop and it'll never happen again.
Also, I'm not entirely sure I want to put all the work into doing it myself.

I may just throw it up on Craigslist and get what I can out of it and call it a day.
If it doesn't sell after a month, I part it out and make even more than selling it whole seeing as I put a lot of money into pretty much everything but the engine.
Front tires have about 20 miles on them. Rears have at least 70-80% left and all of the brakes are brand new... Plus there's all the work I just did to the front suspension, and the interior over time.

I paid just under $20k for it when I bought it and it made me a lot of money in the year that I've owned it.

I'm pretty confident that even after explaining that it needs an inframe, turbo and possibly the original programming if they want the DPF to work again that I'll make out ok by selling it whole.

I will say thanks to everyone that helped me with suggestions and all of that kinds of stuff to help me better understand this engine and what to look for in diagnosing it's problems.
replyreply
03-29-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
(03-28-2017 )jasonlepak Wrote:  ...
Granted the valve seals are leaking, but that seems more like either a valve isn't closing all the way or it's a cracked piston and/or ring.

Like Rawze mentioned above. It Looks like leaking valve seats, a broken oil ring, and cam bearings down to the copper real bad.

Putting it back together, de-mandating it, then running it till it absolutely has to have an inframe is its best correction at this point. Just make sure it does not have coolant head/gasket issues.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.