White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
03-22-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
RE: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell
Apparently the turbo was replaced right before I bought it because the old one blew a seal. I opened up the turbo and verified it was good and no leaks. But yeah, the old one must've been leaking oil like 50 men at a gangbang.

When I had the boot off on the intake side, I did look inside the intake manifold and it's surprisingly clean considering I haven't touched anything on that side other than cleaning my IMAP sensor with some electronic sensor cleaner.

I still have yet to open the exhaust and pear inside to see what the DPF can looks like, but I guess I'm stuck for a few days because it's supposed to rain starting tomorrow and through the weekend and I'm not one to crawl under my truck if it's raining unless I absolutely have too.

Tomorrow I have to put my new steer tires on and take the old ones back to the company I'm leased to so I can get a credit for the tires I got through them.
Kinda nice paying $660 for new steers and getting $300 credit for the old ones just because the suspension I just replaced made the old ones cup and edge wear.
replyreply
03-23-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
After watching video I'll bet one cylinder with cummins installed injector is

I have unforgettable filings of this pink dildo
replyreply
03-23-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
(03-22-2017 )jasonlepak Wrote:  This morning I put the actuators back together and started it up...
The doser injector isn't leaking coolant or fuel as far as I can see.

I ran the engine for about five minutes and then took a video which I'll post below.
With the exhaust disconnected at the turbo it definitely doesn't sound all that great.

I pulled the dipstick and opened the oil fill cap and there's plenty of blowby coming out which you can see in the video.

It does quiet down quite a bit after it warms up, but that's just normal with all diesel engines.

Friday I'll my Inline adaptor and I should be set up on Insite... Filling out the from now and sending it back to the sales rep.

Here's the video I took this morning... Keep in mind that the engine was only running for about five minutes when I started this video and it was about 30 degrees outside at the time.

https://youtu.be/LqbuFwKDwqU

I see this..
./uploads/201703/post_2_1490273855_9a4f6a1791a8645f1cfd8bdab52d331e.jpg

======

And this ...

./uploads/201703/post_2_1490274083_64f6f0f016826cb4ec69e8b87842c7a8.jpg

* Delte-P looks like it has never been replaced. They read wrong after about 250k miles and cause EGR valve to dump in too much EGBR gas, lowering fuel mileage, etc...

===

Blow-by looks a bit on the plus side but not real bad for a million miles from what you are showing. Only a blow-by test and a nanometer on a dyno would confirm an excess with the engine that old.

* All your metering and fueling actuators are still original. Its time to start replacing them. Start with the 2 Metering actuators. Then the 2 timing actuators later on as you get money to do them.

* when was the last time you serviced the power steering unit and replaced the filter in the bottom of the resivior? - Just some reminder there.

* crank shaft damper looks like it has a million miles on it. It should have been replaced long long ago!

* its definitely showing signs that the head is worn out and bearings for the injector cam down into the copper badly with those oil leaks on the drivers side. Eventually it will spin one of them and destroy the cam if it does not have that problem already.

and this...
./uploads/201703/post_2_1490275042_e232ee24c8546f08adb8b882ce69c50b.jpg

* You have signs of worn-out valves that are leaking oil. Also you have a manifold leak here too.

and this...
./uploads/201703/post_2_1490275406_b2567709239d2d0d9c7d4fcb202b369d.jpg

* A: -= You have some kind of leak in the boot to the CAC off the turbo. It is also leaking oil out of the face of the turbo. Make sure it is not excessive.

* B: -= This elbow looks like it is made of hard plastic. It is supposed to be rubber. There was a recall on the hard plastic elbows due to cracking and causing engine damage. Just letting you know.

===

Other things I noticed...

* The engine is definitely not firing well on one of its cylinders. You need to find out which one.

* You need to go through it and perform a thorough EGR tune-up AND REPLACE THAT DOSER INJECTOR if it is more than 250k miles old. The internals get weak and it does not work very well. Also, how old is the DOC and DPF? The DOC rarely lasts more than about 600k miles before the chemicals are washed out and the whole system struggles after that. Also, with all the oil leaks from the worn out valves, the system is going to have trouble any ways. That head is definitely worn out.

* You need to take a good look at the regen history in the ECM. Anything above about 3.0 regularly and the system is in bad shape. If it gets bad enough, it can cause injector failures and even engine failures like cracked pistons and/or a craked head. - Exhaust restrictions are nothing to play with or take for granted in a diesel.

* Also, looking at the blow-by it looks like it comes mostly from one cylinder. Likely it is a broken oil ring due to all the years of soot packing by the EGR system.

What does the overhead cams look like? - What is the movement between the engine brake rockers on each of the cylinders between the top of the stem to the detent positions? This will tell you how far up in the head the exhaust valves have worn. - Here is some reference... http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...66#pid9466

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-27-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
So I finished my front suspension today, which by the way feels great after replacing kingpins and all spring bushings and front shocks.

After I cleaned up my huge mess, I hooked up my laptop since I finally got setup on Insite today as well.

The first thing I did was I went into the ECM Diagnostic Tests section... And didn't see a damn thing that pertains to Aftertreatment.

./uploads/201703/post_2578_1490666726_c87358b7d786f68af999472aabe74bb5.jpg

So then I checked everything else out that might give me some info...
Nothing shows any information regarding the aftertreatment besides what's showing in the data logger.

./uploads/201703/post_2578_1490667134_aefca2cf234ffab1a66db19d00c1b092.jpg

./uploads/201703/post_2578_1490667150_525e6e8ed3708eb981c11291db4ebb00.jpg

./uploads/201703/post_2578_1490667162_22138be0a69c2f968e36a385c6e38f41.jpg

So I'm guessing that someone obviously flashed the ECM with a file that doesn't include most of the aftertreatment parameters but left everything attached such as the EGR valve (which also isn't opening or closing while I took it for a test drive doing about 65mph at a steady cruise) and the DPF can.

I looked inside the exhaust pipe today when I was re-sealing the band clamp that was leaking and all I saw was a metal screen... So tomorrow I'll pull the DPF can off and see what that looks like.

I also did a Cylinder Cut Out test and ran one cylinder at a time and every cylinder ran fine. They all sounded the same, idled the same and the engine never felt like it was going to die or anything else like that.

Also... I rev'ed my engine a few times to get the smoke that I've been getting... It's actually a little grey looking and it doesn't smell like unburnt fuel. It just smells like regular exhaust.

Tomorrow I'll do a pressure test on the cooling system and like I said, I'll pull the DPF can off and take a look at what they did with it.

It's totally awesome that the douche bag I bought the truck from never told me that it was all jacked up with the aftertreatment system or that someone deleted it.... He's lucky he lives about four hours away from me.......

Also, not sure if it matters or anything... In Rawze's post above he has a picture of my turbo piping... The turbo is newer and it's not this one that's leaking... The oil stains on the pipe are from the previous turbo. I pull the new one apart and checked for any leaks..

However, my boost gauge does show that when I'm accelerating hard I do get up to 40psi...
When I use my engine brake going down either long hills or mountains it climbs up to 30psi and then settles around 25psi.

For the most part though, other than the smoke it doesn't run any differently than it did a month ago.
replyreply
03-28-2017, (Subject: White/Grey Smoke & Strong Fuel Smell ) 
That's the same boost I get with mine.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(03-28-2017 )Brock Wrote:  That's the same boost I get with mine.

Good to know they didn't set it to over boost the head gasket out of the engine.
replyreply
I see it still has the original AV10044 program in it, and it is dated 2012 sometime.

I also see that it was originally a prime truck.

What is the part number stamped into the side of your DPF can?

496????

or...

528????

or...

529????

If it is a 528???? or 529???? then your truck should have the AV10237 program in it instead of the AV10044.

None of those screen shots are of the after-treatment or history. It is located under "Advanced ECM Data".

Watch this video at around 14:43 ...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
The part number on the side of the can shows 4969702.

Also found a broken or cut wire that goes to the rear temp sensor of the DPF....

So I did a cooling system pressure test... Found a small leak at one of the upper radiator hoses that I replaced because I didn't tighten the clamp enough apparently.
But then after I stopped that leak, I noticed more along the head gasket and exhaust manifold. Not sure if it was just run off from the hose I tightened because I did let it drip for a while. So I pulled the turbo and exhaust manifold off to check the exhaust valves for any oil running down them.
I may have found my smoke problem.

replyreply

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.